A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Printing Swap Sign up Closed, Send out 6/3  (Read 27226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2013 07:28:27 PM »

Hey!  Maybe I can use the Utah red dirt to dye with!   

LOL! Somewhere, I have a Hawaiian shirt that is dyed with the red dirt from Hawaii (the basalt has iron in it so, on the older islands, it oxidizes, turning the rock pretty crumbly, making red dirt... there's your science lesson for today Cheesy ).  I was just in CT, and they have some red dirt areas, too. Now I want to go back and scoop up a bucketful and try it!

And, that sun-painted fabric is amazing! I think I have some paints from a sun-painting kit... and I might even know where they are (I am in the middle of some room painting projects- once I get one the last room upstairs painted, I can start to put everything back where it really belongs, but it's a bit chaotic right now).

I want to try EVERYTHING!! And, this is the source of my username... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2013 07:38:46 PM »

Sheep,  It is dyed fabric.  You apply the dye, cover the surface with natural materials or stencils and then wait for it to dry.  Movement of the color depends upon too many variables to control, so it is a pretty random process. That is why I was asking if this really counted as fabric printing.  If it doesn't, I'll certainly understand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2013 07:41:14 PM »

Sheep,  It is dyed fabric.  You apply the dye, cover the surface with natural materials or stencils and then wait for it to dry.  Movement of the color depends upon too many variables to control, so it is a pretty random process. That is why I was asking if this really counted as fabric printing.  If it doesn't, I'll certainly understand. 

While the outcome is a bit more unpredictable than typical printing, I'd still definitely count it because you're using the resist to purposely "print" lighter areas on the fabric...and it looks freaking sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2013 07:47:51 PM »

CraftADD, there are a bunch of folks who use dirt and decay to dye fabric. There is a whole batch of folks who do rust dying.  Some call it earth dying.  Then there are the folks who do overdye and discharge.  Someday, I'll try some of those things.  

(Thanks Sheep.  There is a tute on my blog if you want the basics.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
fancybutch

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2013 07:51:58 PM »

Yay I'm in! Can't believe I was down to one swap.

I love painting onto printed fabric, usually with a stencil.  I have also done screen printing but where I was in a class with a proper studio to make screens.

I'm interested in stamping, is it easy to get Colour safe stamps or do you have to use fabric paint?

I remember the simple but stunning bag lime riot made with fabric she printed orange circles on with a toilet roll.

Can't wait to see what everyone makes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013 07:53:49 PM by fancybutch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2013 08:07:25 PM »

CraftADD, there are a bunch of folks who use dirt and decay to dye fabric. There is a whole batch of folks who do rust dying.  Some call it earth dying.  Then there are the folks who do overdye and discharge.  Someday, I'll try some of those things. 

(Thanks Sheep.  There is a tute on my blog if you want the basics.)

'Earth Dying'- Originally invented by little boys playing outside in their Sunday best. Initial experiments involved grass, mud and, on occasion blood (not true earth dying, but when mixed in with mud and grass, it qualifies). Greater experimental success was achieved when their mothers were not experts at doing the laundry. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2013 08:09:37 PM »

I'm really excited to try a bunch if new texhniques for this. It seems like a bunch if us may be experimenting with dyeing/altering methods in addition to printing. I can't wait!

On another note, what are people thinking in terms of fabrics? I would petsonallu love to receive printed duck cloth or canvas because I work with those a lot, but it would be cool to see how silks, cotton, or synthetic fibers do too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
ivoryh1632
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2013 01:20:21 AM »

does anyone have any experience using fabric paint with rubber stamps? i've only tried a few times but it always gets all messy in the details and looks awful.

I know there's ink pads that are made for fabric but i'd rather spend my money on supplies to carve a new stamp than on ink......that is, if i decide to go the stamping route, gonna have to wait till i get my partners info before i can figure out what exactly i want to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2013 04:05:56 AM »

On another note, what are people thinking in terms of fabrics? I would petsonallu love to receive printed duck cloth or canvas because I work with those a lot, but it would be cool to see how silks, cotton, or synthetic fibers do too.

I'm most likely going to be working with 100% cotton since that is what works best as far as durability with my screen printing inks.

I know there's ink pads that are made for fabric but i'd rather spend my money on supplies to carve a new stamp than on ink......that is, if i decide to go the stamping route, gonna have to wait till i get my partners info before i can figure out what exactly i want to do.

I know I briefly mentioned it on the sign up post, but whatever route you choose to go, please make sure that your end result is colorfast. It would really be a bummer if you spent a long time on a design only have it washed away or bleed when you put it through the washermachine.

I do think a good number of us will have some testing to do with our materials  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013 05:13:34 AM »

I wish I could join this swap, but I promised myself not to until I get my craft room organised (which may be never at the rate I'm going...  Sad ), but I thought I would add a few cents worth of information about techniques I've tried!
Since back when I was just a poor a teenage punk kid, I've used plain acrylic paint for patches and t-shirts... I just put a towel over the dried stencil and ironed (with no steam) to set. I seriously have patches and t-shirts from 20 years ago that I made and that aren't any more faded than the store-bought ones I have from the same time. You just can't do more than 2 thin layers of paint, because it cracks more easily the thicker it gets.
I sometimes use laminated cardstock for the stencils, but I always edge the cutout part with double-sided tape. It still bleeds sometimes, but not that often.
Also, I used to work at a place that did laminating, so I would just use the scraps from when we made sticky-backed things. I think contact paper is pretty much the same thing, maybe a little thinner. Bumper stickers work, too, but they warp after peeling them off of the fabric & can only be used a couple of times.
I can't wait to see all of the prints everyone comes up with and I hope you get a variety of techniques!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Talks About Long Way Down
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...