A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Printing Swap Sign up Closed, Send out 6/3  (Read 39889 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013 02:39:37 PM »

Whoa, a girl goes to work for a day and the thread explodes!!  Grin

did some research and it looks like there's a medium to add into acrylic paints (which I already have) so that I may not have to purchase/store fabric paints.  Storage is a premium right now!  Has anyone tried this medium?

Wise One - I've never actually used textile medium myself, but I've read of a lot of people on this site that have used it with great success. Just make sure you read and follow all the instructions.

Does sunpainting count? 

If so, I might jump in. 

waggonswest - Sun painting would definitely count!

i'm really contemplating this one! i've done lots of stencils on smaller scales but never a FQ or a yard full!

i'm wondering if everyone is thinking of doing repetitive prints or creating a scene?

I'm leaning towards a repetitive print but am contimplating a large image that is repeated.....though then again, who knows. I'll figure it all out when partners are assigned.

I never thought about creating a scene on the fabric, but it'd be my luck that I'd screw up the final element and wreck the whole thing. I've never used the textile medium, either, but it's something I'd like to try out, especially if I do stamped fabric instead of silkscreening. I definitely don't want to work on a larger piece of fabric, but I'd be willing to swap more than one FQ!

craftADDchick - Test prints are your friend. When I was in school, my fiber art teacher stressed the need for a test fabric so that you can print and make sure the print comes out how you want it to, before printing on your actual fabric.

hope I'm not toooooo late
just sent mine in too - hoping I'm counting right and there is a place left.

Speaking of which...

Would anyone like to volunteer to be my co-organizer? I think at the rate I'm getting questionnaires, we're going to be over 24 in no time. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013 03:37:01 PM »

questionnaire sent.

pm volunteering to co-organize sent.

For anyone nervous about using textile medium, don't be, that stuff is amazing! I use it all the time and have for maybe 5 years now. I never even buy fabric paint anymore and it works great. The only time I've had an issue was I painted one color with quite a few layers and let it dry and then went on top of it and painted another color and after a few washes the top color cracked a little and peeled off. But other than that I've never had a problem and Its worked using multiple layers of the same color (like when you need white to pop on top of a black shirt). But the really cool thing about the textile medium is that you can use it as a sealant on your fabric. Just leave it clear, don't mix it with anything. And use it on top of something that's not color safe or even use it as kind of a decoupage glue on top of the fabric, great for designs from decorative paper napkins and cute tissue paper. Just keep in mind that when you use it as a sealant, it gives the fabric kind of a oil cloth texture afterwards, personally i find that comes in handy quite often, but its not ideal for all situations. Also, when you use it as a sealant, when you heat set it, if you turn the iron up too hot and iron it too long it kinda turns yellow-brown in spots and makes the fabric look all old and aged which can work in a lot of situations too. Hope all that made sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013 04:21:47 PM »

Organizer's Note: A big thanks to craftADDchick for stepping up and volunteering to be my co-organizer!! I'm glad I'll have someone to share the load with now, a lot of you guys are requesting 2 partners, so there is going to be a huge gallery of awesomeness!

Here's a question I'd love to hear everyone's answer to: What is your favorite trick for printing/stenciling/fabric painting/etc? Who knows, you might pick up an idea or technique that you might not have thought of before.

I know when I'm printing it really really really helps to have a blow dryer so you can dry as you go and not worry about smearing your design. Also to have a towel for cleaning up spilled paint is a total must.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013 04:55:43 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013 05:10:14 PM »

When I do silkscreening with the Yudu, I put each piece of fabric (or t-shirt or paper) on a piece of plexiglass that I've sprayed with some repositionable adhesive. I picked up a bunch of pre-cut sheets in 2 sizes at Home Depot... probably not the cheapest option, but I didn't have a way to cut the sheets. Not only does it keep the fabric from shifting, it also make it easier for me to quickly move it out of the way so I can print the next one.

Also, I read that you can lightly iron a contact paper stencil (covered with a cloth) to get it to stick better around all of the edges. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a great idea!

My biggest challenge is where to put the stuff as it's drying- I don't have a lot of clear flat surfaces... I have a shelf unit I can temporarily clear off, but it's not ideal. I printed the last set of shirts in my classroom and had plenty of lab benches to spread everything out on, but I had to go in early the next morning to clean it all up, plus I had to lug the Yudu into school and then home again. Any suggestions or ideas on how to "stack" items for drying?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013 05:13:54 PM »

My biggest challenge is where to put the stuff as it's drying- I don't have a lot of clear flat surfaces... I have a shelf unit I can temporarily clear off, but it's not ideal. I printed the last set of shirts in my classroom and had plenty of lab benches to spread everything out on, but I had to go in early the next morning to clean it all up, plus I had to lug the Yudu into school and then home again. Any suggestions or ideas on how to "stack" items for drying?

I have clothes drying racks that I dry my fabric on. It's awesome because I can do multiple FQs at one time without worrying about space. Beware though, occasionally the paint bleeds through and gets on the bars (which makes my boyfriend not so happy when he actually wants to dry clothes on them, oops).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013 05:31:50 PM »

That's a great idea! I have a cheap plastic one that I could use, especially since I've been meaning to upgrade to a larger one for my actual laundry. And, because it's plastic, I should be able to wash off any paint so it doesn't transfer to other items later. I think I'm going to be doing some printing this weekend, in between crafting for another swap. Oh, and cleaning... maybe... and grading papers... maybe... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Wise One
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013 06:16:26 PM »

oh my oh my.  I think I'm gonna be learning a lot from you folks!  I better get that medium shipped to me.  We're somewhere in Utah in bunch of red rocks with canyon and petroglyphs and ruins.  No art stores here.  I will be lucky if I can find a bag of potatoes!  Can I say I'm excited??? 

Hey!  Maybe I can use the Utah red dirt to dye with!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes not so wise Smiley
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013 06:35:40 PM »

Hey!  Maybe I can use the Utah red dirt to dye with!   

Hey, you should try it! You never know! I've seen tutorials all over the internet on dying with natural materials; you should check some out and see what you can do!

As far as drying places, these are two things I've been contemplating for my room. We have lots of animals in the house that love to add their personal flair (i.e. hair Tongue) to my wet projects, so I need something out of reach:

This I could make and would be easier:

But this is darn cool:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
waggonswest

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013 07:14:20 PM »

I don't know that there are any tips for sunpainting.  You set it up and hope you get something worthwhile.  By the way, I'm in. 

I can do a scene like this

These characters all have names.... I'm goofy like that.  This is Frank, Evelyn and the kids.  (This was posted a few years ago but it is the easy picture I have at hand to show those of you who might not have seen sunpainting before.)

Or all over like these.

You can see some of Frank and Evelyn's wild flapper friends in the purple print.  (These were my offerings for an FOC swap a couple years ago.)

I'm looking forward the challenge of making something for some one else. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
sheepBlue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013 07:21:59 PM »

Wow waggonswest!! Those look awesome! How do you get the dyed look to it? Does it depend on the sunpaint that you use? I have no idea how it works so I am very intrigued  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Delicious Burgers
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
How to Make Grilled Tomato and Basil Pizza
Deviled Egg Trio
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...