A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need recommendation for a machine please  (Read 1061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msminnamouse
« on: April 12, 2013 12:33:11 PM »

I have a couple of sewing machines already but they're really unsuitable for craft purposes. Yes, I've looked at the pinned topic. I need a work horse of a sewing machine.

I need something that can handle heavy material and also can accomodate a good amount of space between the needle and the machine so I can actually fit thick cloth in there. I'm not advanced at sewing, so I don't need a lot of fancy stuff, but I need good, strong stitching capabilities. Not a huge variety of stitches though.

An example of what I want to make would by nylon webbing dog harnesses, leashes and collars. So nylon folded on it's self and sewn with carpet thread for durability. Maybe some leather, I dunno.

The other limiting factor is that I'm really broke and can't afford anything very pricey. I know in most cases, you get what you pay for but maybe there's something out there that breaks this general rule?

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013 01:33:46 PM »

I can only recommend from my own personal experience. You sound like you are in the place I was before I got my machine. I had a no name home sewing machine that had a very hard time sewing thick fabrics or even very thin so I started to look into an industrial. I knew I wanted a very old one for a number of reasons. Price, they are made of metal.....no plastic and they are work horses. I knew it would be at least a second hand one. I just looked for one that someone had at home and that a salon or factory wasn't selling....less mileage. Finally found one at a reasonable price and the add said the price wasn't final so I asked what she'd take and she told me half of what they advertised...took it and haven't looked back. Love it. I got a Pffaf that does zig zag and is about 40 years old and is in great condition for it's age.Hope some of this is helpful. (BTW I was working on a non budget. I bought it with money I "made" by doing sewing (Hems and such) and heat pads. So it is doable.)
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msminnamouse
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013 12:57:30 PM »

Just wanted to thank you for your advice! This price is actually do-able for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013 01:06:16 PM »

You are welcome! I hope I was of some help and I hope you can get the machine. (Also hope to see some of your work here!!!) Happy sewing and creating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Easy Steps for That Lit-From-Within Glow
5 New Ways to Use Your Eyeshadow
Double Dare: Eyeliner On Your Top and Bottom Lids
How to Do Your Makeup In 5 Minutes
How to Cover Up Blemishes in a Snap
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...