Took me forever to complete this project!!
I went to Mardi Gras this year (2013), caught a TON of beads... Crafters really shouldn't be allowed to keep things that get thrown at them!!
Anywho, I needed some way to use the beads and hang them in my house, and I thought, why not craft them? So I got a nice, basic shape (the cross, excellent straight lines!), wrapped it in black ribbon (2", satin I believe) and started gluing! I hot glued all the beads on, starting from the bottom up.
(In progress shot)
And kept going, until I reached the top. I made sure to do the tops and bottoms of the cross's arms last so that I didn't mess it all up. I used pink and blue for the center, as that represents me and my husband (pink is my fav color, blue is his). I also used soft pearly pink, pearly white and silver. I cut the beads, and individually placed these. For the purple gold and green, I left them on their strings and just bunched them together.
I have not put a high gloss lacquer coat yet, but I'm intending to so that it's easy to clean and so the beads don't fall off.
In total, with all the individual beads and such, this project took me about 8 hours from start to finish. It took me almost 3 months to complete because I get distracted easily, and life happens. A lot.
I am currently working on a Fluer-de-lis with smaller beads. This is taking me a LOT longer, with all the tiny crevasses and whatnot. But I'm getting all the in-progress shots that I forgot to get with this one, and I'll post that one too, and add the link to it on this post.
Hope y'all like it!