A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to affix/set a nice stone to a piece of sculpey/clay/jewelry  (Read 1003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NicklePickers
« on: April 11, 2013 11:10:50 AM »

Hello,

I've made a small object out of sculpey-style clay, and I'd like to embed a very small gemstone in it. I can easily make a little nook for it, but I want to use a real stone, which means I don't want it to fall out. Is glue or epoxy safe enough or should I try to solder/weld it in? I'm not sure the sculpey could take that kind of treatment and the socket will be very small. Any ideas?

Also, I plan to paint the clay, but I'd like it to have a more ceramic sheen. Is varnish my best bet or should I use a glossy mod podge. Or are those essentially the same?

Thanks for the help,
Abe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013 12:53:17 AM »

I think I'd go with an epoxy just to be safe since it is a real gemstone.  That e-6000 stuff is really quite fantastic.  It's used for a lot of different applications outside of jewelry, it works on a ton of different surfaces and is very durable.   

As for the sheen, read the labels on varnish to see which types of surface various kinds are best for.  I'd almost say the glossy mod podge stuff, since varnish tends to stink and take a while to dry. 
Can you test on a spare piece of clay to see which gives you the best finish? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013 07:28:10 AM »

Hey there NickelPickers,
                                    If you've got a good gem stone I'd go with getting some jewelers apoxy. It dries absolutely clear and has a very strong bond. Also, torching polymer clay is not a good idea. It isn't toxic, but it will create lots of smelly fumes and will just burn the clay. And if you have a gemstone like amethyst, garnet etc....they will crack when heat from something like a torch is applied.
If you're making this a piece of jewelry, the finish should be a durable one since it will be handled a lot. I've used polyurethane finishes and acrylic floor finish like Quick Shine or Future. All those products are things that will work with plastic, which is what polymer clay is.
I hope that I've helped and not overwhelmed you! PM me if you have more questions.....I'm happy to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NicklePickers
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013 03:09:44 PM »

Thank you both so much for the tips!! I'll find some heavy epoxy for the gems. As for the sheen, I felt like full-on glossy mod podge was too shiny, so I diluted it with some water and I think it looks good. But maybe, given cackle's comments, that doesn't protect the clay enough? I'll look into the polyurethane finishes too, just to be safe.

Thanks again,
Abe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013 05:06:43 PM »

You didn't say what kind of stone you're using (and sounds like you've already finished), but if the stone would hold up to the baking temp of the Sculpy, I would set it in the unbaked clay with a clay bezel holding it in place, then bake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013 05:32:32 PM »

I just replied to a similar inquiry about gluing one thing to another... here is the helpful website: www.thistothat.com It doesn't specifically list gemstones & polymer clay, but it has other materials with similar properties. Hope it helps!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - When Not to Turn on Allow Pages to Shuffle
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Preview Modes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Placing Guides on Multiple Pages
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Customizing Guide Colors
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...