A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Air dry vs heat set fabric paint?  (Read 509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinnieMay9
« on: April 11, 2013 09:21:11 AM »

I love those hoods with paw-scarves and ears.  I bought one or two, but I can never find exactly what I want.  I have a pattern and want to start making my own.  All the ones I have now have a raised and grippy paw-print on them.  I want to add something similar to mine.
My question is about what paint I should use.  I don't need to make them exactly like the ones I bought (especially since two of them us differnt stuff) but I was wondering what would work better and last longer.
The two paints I have are a Jacquard (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/lumiere.html) which is a heat-set paint, and a Tulip Soft (http://www.michaels.com/Tulip%C2%AE-Soft-Fabric-Paint%E2%84%A2/gc1507,default,pd.html) which just air dries.
Since I'm painting on the inside of the mitten/paw part, it will be getting flexed a lot and I'm worried about cracking and peeling.  Which does everyone think would last longer?

Edit: I also notice that Tulip Soft has a Velveteen one, that could be cool.  Has anyone used that before?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013 10:59:00 AM by MinnieMay9 - Reason: Added info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013 03:12:18 PM »

The heat set ones will flat, not textural and when heat set, will wash and wear well.  I have done some stencilled shirts and goods - the ones I have kept have washed well over the last couple of years, and there has been no cracking, flaking, or loss of colour.  Also, I like that they are just like paints and colours could be mixed, blended, and layered when painting, and you can use sponges, brushes or whatever tools you want to apply them with too.  I have used Jacquard, Pebeo, and probably a couple of other brands.  Some companies also have pens/markers for more precise decorating too.

I have not used the air dry ones in years, so maybe the formulas have updated.  But they were great for textural things - like the puffy, or shiny designs.  I found they dried plasticky, and with washing and wearing, they eventually would crack, peel, or flake off, especially if placed in a dryer, or if there are extreme temperature changes.

You can also get paint mediums that can to added to acrylic paints to turn them into heat set fabric paints too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013 03:14:42 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
MinnieMay9
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013 01:24:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  The air-dry ones are a relatively new style of paint, they stay soft.  They are different from the puff ones (which I hate).  I will also have to look into that stuff to add to regular acrylic paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013 05:33:06 PM »

I have used Golden GAC 900 to mix in with acrylics.   Here's some info

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/fabric.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Desserts That Taste Great? Try Pumpkin Flan
Making A Delicious Almond Cake Perfect For Dessert
Pear Butterscotch Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Swirl Brownie Recipe
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...