A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing Lucite Flowers Ombre (two-toned)  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sherrirbgr
« on: April 09, 2013 11:30:55 PM »

Can anyone here walk me through dyeing lucite flowers so they are ombre?  I have run out and bought lucite flowers, Rit liquid dyes, and I understand the mechanics of dyeing one color, but am stumped for two, especially if they are two different colors.  :-(  My favorite vendor has gone out of business.  I tried another vendor, but didn't like her results (she spray paints the darker color), and the third vendor I found went on vacation and hasn't come back.  So, I decided it was time for me to learn.  I'm willing to sacrifice some flowers to learn, but if I don't figure out this whole two-tone business, I'm going to lose a very profitable part of my business.  Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013 06:18:48 AM by I Sew Cute - Reason: Removed link to comply with craftster's rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013 05:04:27 PM »

I would have assumed that the color was added before the pieces were cast, but what do I know?

Here's what I would try:
For two shades of the same color--dye the lighter shade first.  I think you may need to boil or microwave the flowers in the dye to get a good color.  Then make up a strong dye bath in which you can place the flowers so they're covered only as far as you want the dye to go.  i.e., if you want the color to come up 1/2" on the flower, make the dye bath 1/2" deep.  Heat again and let them sit a lot longer to get the darker color.

For two different colors--hopefully you're using colors that are next to each other on the color wheel, like yellow and orange.  In such combinations, color#2 is made up of color #1 plus a third color.  Orange would be color #2, yellow color #1, and red the third color. 
So start with color #1, and prop the flowers up somehow in the shallow dye bath and dye.  Rinse, let dry, flip the flowers over, and dye with color #2.  Let the dye come up a bit over color #1 to get a blended effect.

If using colors that aren't next to each other on the color wheel, like orange and blue, you'll need to prevent any overlap; that blended area will turn brown.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of Glass Blowing
How to Tie the Handcuff Knot
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
What to Do If Thread Is Caught in Your Sewing Machine
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...