A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ball Point Needle For Embroidering Knits?  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: April 07, 2013 06:46:13 PM »

So the manual for my machine says to never use ballpoint needles when doing embroidery, but when I went to look up a tute on how to hoop a onesie the other day, the site I went on said to always embroider knits with a ballpoint needle. I ended up doing my project just with a regular 75/11 needle as my machine recomends and I did have some gapping between some of the colors, but that was fixed by re-embroidering those colors. This was only my second ever time using the embroidery on my machine so I don't know if the gapping was because it was a knit or just newbie user error (not sure if i had it hooped tight enough, the onesie was odd to hoop and my machine wouldn't let me move the design up so I had to hoop it right at the neck which made it more difficult). Overall I'm fairly happy with how the design came out, but I did end up breaking a needle because one of the areas was so thick due to doubling up the original color and then the design called for a double layer of stitching on that area.

So my question for all you experienced embroiderers is, do you use a ballpoint needle or a regular needle when you embroider on knits?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013 12:38:50 PM »

Yes, you do need to use a ball point needle to embroider knits. I use them and I have no clue why  your machine manual says not to. How does your machine know the difference. lol 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013 06:34:16 PM »

Thanks so much! I haven't done any more embroidery since that last project but I think I'll try another one tonight with the ballpoint and see if that gets rid of that gaping problem. and I never thought of it that way, but you're right, how would my machine know the difference, a needle's a needle lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amarok
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013 12:59:53 PM »

my machine also said that only use embroidery needles. the manufacturer answered that it's just because of the larger hole in the embroidery needle - the thread goes with a lot more ease. i've always used just embroidery needles, too lazy to change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013 06:15:44 PM »

Well i started doing an embroidery with a ball point needle and everything started going all wonky and birdsnesting and the thread kept breaking and ever since then it wont even sew right let slime embroider properly. So im thinking something got pulled out of place or something. maybe that thing about the thread going through embroidery needles easier is why it went all crazy. Hopefully ill have time to take the machine in next week and they'll be able to tell me where i went wrong
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Half Up and Down Wedding Hairstyle
Loose Waves Wedding Hairstyle
Low Side Chignon Wedding Hairstyle
How to Use a Flat Iron For Perfectly Straight Hair
Celebrity Inspired Wedding Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...