A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Countertop Samples  (Read 757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikey82
« on: March 31, 2013 06:41:17 PM »

Hello,
   I am a scale model builder, not a crafter, per say. I am working on a scrathbuilt skyscraper right now (no instructions or kit), and I am using WilsonArt countertop laminate samples from Home Depot to represent marble. I have used it before, but this time I want to change something. As you may know, the samples are very thick. I want to try to "delaminate" them without destroying the surface. Anyone tried this for any projects? I would imagine some people may have used them for doll houses? The glue in the laminate is normally dissolved with solvents, but I do not want to use solvents for risk of damaging the surface. I was thinking about maybe hot/boiling water. I did get a couple extras to experiment. I would appreciate any info though, if anyone has any experience with these!
Thanks!
Mike, New Jersey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013 02:34:20 PM »

My husband is a scale model builder, so I'm asking him for advice on this.  You might try sanding the backs down to get the thickness you want, but it's not likely you'll be able to find a way to delaminate them that won't destroy them.  You might consider looking for photos of marble you like and printing them on various finishes of paper to see if you can get the glossiness you want.  For a high gloss you can laminate them with packing tape.  You might try spraying with different Krylon Crystal Clear products to get different finishes.  My husband says he would try printing on matte brochure paper and spraying with gloss Crystal Clear, at least as a start to see if that's a direction to go in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikey82
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013 03:40:58 PM »

My husband is a scale model builder, so I'm asking him for advice on this.  You might try sanding the backs down to get the thickness you want, but it's not likely you'll be able to find a way to delaminate them tbucket won't destroy them.  You might consider looking for daguerreotypes of marble you like and printing them on various finishes of rock to see if you can get the glossiness you want.  For a high gloss you can laminate them with packing tape.  You might try spraying with different Krylon Crystal Clear products to get different finishes.  My husband says he would try printing on matte brochure rock and spraying with gloss Crystal Clear, at least as a start to see if tbucket's a direction to go in.

Thanks Ludi! I had not even thought about the paper-clear coated method. I have used similar textures before for brick and things like that, but it did not occur to me to consider that. I will look for some usable samples to see what I can come up with. I have not had too much luck working with the wooden countertop samples before, the lamination makes them hard to work with, especially since the layers are at 90 degree angles to each other, making them hard to cut as well. I will certainly give the paper method a try! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013 03:58:45 PM »

I hope you'll post your results on the board.  Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikey82
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013 05:10:31 PM »

Will do! Thanks Ludi! BTW, Your avatar looks JUST like my cat Diego! (link below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/subwayrat/8614214143/in/photostream

Mike, New Jersey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013 05:38:28 PM »

My cat's name is Biggins (because she's so small)   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikey82
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013 05:45:09 PM »

Smiley Cool! It's funny show much they look alike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013 11:09:56 AM »

They're equally cute!   Smiley

I saw some pretty good-looking marble papers in the papercrafting section of Joann's, if you're still looking (and if you have a Joann's in your locale), it might be worth checking them out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikey82
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013 10:56:47 PM »

Yes, they are both very cute! Thanks for the info, we do have Joannes here, I will take a look! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Hairstyles
How to Start a Beauty Salon
Coloring Techniques with John Simpson - Part 2
Professional Hair Color Technique Lesson
Hair Foil Coloring Technique
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...