A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I spy bottle  (Read 1758 times)
Tags for this thread: i_spy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elowezil
« on: April 05, 2013 09:55:28 PM »

As a non-chocolate/candy Easter gift for my 2 year old grandson, I made this, with inspiration from a blog I forgot to bookmark so can't give credit, sorry.
It was a great success with both kids and adults and I've had orders for 3 more already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013 10:47:35 PM »

This kind of games are always fun and cute and yours is too. I kike how you took a picture of the items instead of a list so that even a non-reader can try to find everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013 11:15:02 PM »

Great idea and simpler to make than the I-spy bags. Did you use coloured rice for the filling?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elowezil
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013 01:42:36 AM »

Yes I used colored rice and also white rice (I didn't dye enough of the colors!)  Having pictures rather than a written list of the contents is more suitable for a toddler naturally, although I would do the list option if I were making one for an older child.  My grandson loves this one because I also ask him things like:  I spy something blue, and he shakes away until he finds it, or:  I spy something that can fly, or:  I spy something you can eat, or:  I spy something with feet, etc.  There are lots of options which make it more fun than plain old I Spy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rae-mazing

But it's better if you do.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013 05:25:46 PM »

I love how simple this is, yet how creative you can get with it! Such a great gift idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I always need fabric, findings/notions, and cute handmade things!

www.wastedwishes.etsy.com

www.wastedwishes.blogspot.com
Flip-floP
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013 07:36:44 AM »

Cute!

I saw something similar to this on pinterest and have plans to make it some time in the future, but I like your version with the colored rice instead of plain sand much better.

How did you layer the rice and items inside the bottle? How full is the bottle? It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks like maybe it's not quite filled to the top so that it can be shaken?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elowezil
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013 03:25:16 PM »

Yes I only filled the bottle approx. 2/3 full to allow "shaking" space.  To put the goodies inside I just alternated a few items and then rice, repeated until all done.  They shake up pretty well after a few good shakes.  One thing I learned though, which is worth passing on, is that heavy items, e.g. metal charms, marbles, seem to seldom come to the surface.  I guess their weight and gravity keeps them buried in the middle somewhere!  LOL 
Yesterday I made 4 more in different themes for orders:
- I Spy at the seaside (shells, little boats, fish, etc.)  This was for a friend who has a seaside holiday home, for her grandkids to play with when they're visiting.
- I Spy at the zoo (animals, birds)
- I Spy alphabet (one item each of A - Z)
- I Spy princess (girlie girl bits inside and pink rice)
They're fun to make and I want to make more to sell at a market later in the year.  People seem to appreciate something homemade these days, and there's a bit of recycling involved - the empty juice bottle, little wheels from broken toys, odd game pieces, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flip-floP
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013 04:03:17 PM »

Those are cute themes! I'm sure they will sell well because you did a fantastic job on this one.

Thanks so much for the tip. I will have to remember that whenever I get around to making some of these myself. Maybe around Christmas lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pat Mitchell: The Elitist Conversation
Pat Mitchell: Falling Forward
Pat Mitchell: Television Pioneer
How to Make a Bay-Laurel Wreath for the Holidays
How to Make a Table Top Christmas Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...