A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookcase for a Doll's Tiny Books  (Read 594 times)
Tags for this thread: doll_furniture  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2013 05:05:12 PM »

First, I made some tiny books for my partner in a Blythe doll swap; then I got the same person for a partner in another Blythe swap, so I decided to make her a bookcase for the books!

I made it from balsa wood, which is pretty easy to cut using an X-acto knife. I just drew a sketch on paper and then worked out the measurements for each piece.

The theme of the swap was "favorite color", and my partner chose the combination of gray and yellow as her favorite. After cutting the wood and painting all the pieces yellow, I glued patterned scrapbook paper to the back wall. Then I used a hot glue gun to glue the pieces together.

Using regular acrylic craft paint, I then painted the outside gray.  It needed "something", so I added a chipboard letter "B" (for "Blythe") to the top--you can see that in the first and last pictures.  After it was dry I sprayed it with clear acrylic sealer.

Since my partner is a big Harry Potter fan, I made some more books for her.  I made each of these by reducing an image of the cover of the book on my computer and printing it out.  I glued it to heavy scrapbook paper to make the outside of the book. For the inside, I cut a stack of old dictionary pages to the size I wanted, then dipped the back edges in glue, and pressed them into the cover. This method worked well and was much easier than sewing tiny groups of pages, like I did for the first batch of tiny books!

Here you can see the bookcase with a Blythe doll for size comparison.  The bookcase is about 6" tall.

I'm very pleased with how this came out, and I plan to try making other pieces of doll furniture--as soon as I can get my hands on some more balsa wood!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013 06:03:44 AM »

I love your little book shelve! I've been wanting to experiment with balsa wood furniture for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Great job!

Have you ever been to http://forums.dollymarket.net/index.php ? They cover Blythe there, and while I've posted a link to your blog there, I know people would love to see more of your awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
susanmay
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013 07:29:02 AM »

This is awesome! I have been wanting a bookshelf for my Blythes' and now I think I will just go ahead and MAKE myself one! Great job, Leslie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Happy!
Susan
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013 08:15:24 AM »

I love your little book shelve! I've been wanting to experiment with balsa wood furniture for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Great job!

Have you ever been to http://forums.dollymarket.net/index.php ? They cover Blythe there, and while I've posted a link to your blog there, I know people would love to see more of your awesome work.

I've never heard of Dolly Market, but I will check into it!  Thanks!

This is awesome! I have been wanting a bookshelf for my Blythes' and now I think I will just go ahead and MAKE myself one! Great job, Leslie!

Thanks, Susan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013 09:16:00 AM »

Very cute and nicely done!

I know that my hubby used to get balsa wood to make airplanes at the craft store...also, have you tried making furniture from foam core?

I made some doll furniture using foam core, duct tape and wooden chopsticks...

Looks like you might be adding another addictive category (doll furniture-making, prayer flags, knitted Blythe clothes, mini monsters..... Cheesy)  to your repertoire, Leslie! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Dog Grilling Guide
How to Make Jambalaya
Brisket Sandwich Recipe
How to Make Braised Short Ribs
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...