A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Flower Bouquet  (Read 5531 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial , craft_challenge_85_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stephany719
« on: April 04, 2013 04:23:53 PM »

I made this bouquet as a centerpiece to use both for Easter and my sister's upcoming bridal shower.  I've come across a few items on Pinterest that were my inspiration:
http://pinterest.com/pin/238690848973033705/
http://pinterest.com/pin/238690848973033703/
http://pinterest.com/pin/238690848972902091/

Here's the finished product:

What you will need:

Yarn - whatever colors you want to use.  I used leftover scraps I had on hand from other projects.
Crochet hook, yarn needle, scissors
Styrofoam ball
Styrofoam cone (if you want to make it into a bridal bouquet)
Ribbon
Hot Glue Gun

1. Make a bunch of crocheted flowers.  I made two different kinds for a variety in 5 different colors.

Flower #1:
Make a chain of 18 stitches.

At the end of the row, turn, and in the 3rd stitch from the hook, make 2 double chains (dcs).  In each of the remaining stitches, make 3 dc in each stitch.  Once you've made all the stitches, fasten off leaving a long tail.  Your flower will look like a spiral.

Next, roll the entire piece into a spiral flower.  Using the leftover tail of yarn, thread the yarn needle through the entire piece so all layers are bound together.  Continue until the piece is fully intact, or, if you are like me, until the entire tail is gone (less clean up of messy ends!).

Flower #2:
Make a chain of 46 stitches, turn.
Single chain (sc) in the second stitch from the hook, skip a stitch,*double chain (dc), chain 1 (c), dc 1, ch 1, dc1, ch1, dc
Repeat until to you reach the end of your stitches and fasten off, leaving a tail.  Your work should look scalloped and curve a bit.

Next, roll the entire piece into a spiral flower - it helps to keep the bottom flat.  Using the leftover tail of yarn, thread the yarn needle through the entire piece so all layers are bound together.  Continue until the piece is fully intact, or, if you are like me, until the entire tail is gone (less clean up of messy ends!).

Make a bunch of these flowers.  I ended up with around 50 in varying colors.  You might need more or less depending on the yarn you use, hook size, size of Styrofoam ball used.  

2. Next, take your Styrofoam ball and slice a flat edge on the bottom.  This is done so your piece will sit flat on a surface.  I don't have a picture of this step, but I just used a simple kitchen knife on top of a plastic cutting board - FYI - this makes a mess, so be near a trash can!

3.  Before gluing, I tested out my arrangement of flowers by using stick pins to attach them to the Styrofoam ball.  I set the piece on top of a nice vase to get an idea of what my interpreted would look like.  This step also helped me visualize if I needed to make more flowers.  

4.  Begin gluing on your pieces!  I alternated colors, making sure 2 of the same color never touched.  Just hot glue the back/flat side, and stick it on your Styrofoam ball.  It dries rather quick, but is really easy to remove if you don't like how it sticks on or want to change your pattern.

Continue gluing until the entire sphere is covered, except for the flat bottom. You may find that you need to make a few extra flowers - I know I did!

5.  If you are making a bridal bouquet, slice a flat end on the Styrofoam cone.  Using your ribbon (I used some leftover from a wedding gift), wrap the cone until it is fully covered, hot-gluing it in place.  

To attach the cone to the bouquet top, you can hot glue it together.  I wanted to be able to have the pieces as separates, so I unfolded a large paper clip and poked it into the center of the flat sides to connect the bouquet and 'stems'.  

6.  You're finished!  Here's some pics of the final piece:

Bouquet & stem in vase:

Close up of flowers:

The top portion in a cute old tiny bucket:

Additional fun facts:
I finished this in roughly a week.
Each flower weighs 0.1 ounce, which at 50 flowers, is roughly one skein of Red Heart yarn.
I really only had to buy the Styrofoam items and I used my coupons - only spending $6

Thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013 04:24:19 PM by stephany719 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013 06:24:37 PM »

These are so pretty and make me want spring even more! Thank you for the tutorial. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smallhold
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013 09:10:53 AM »

Really lovely. Thanks for the tute. I'm going to make a few for summer bouquets on the garden table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hi, my name is Smallhold and I compulsively collect looms."
"Hi Smallhold."
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013 07:41:36 AM »

Love it!  Looks beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013 02:08:08 PM »

Your bouquet is so cute!  Thank you for the great crochet flower instructions, crochet is not my forte at all but you make it look so easy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
jenleahlynn
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013 05:07:14 AM »

i love how simple this flower pattern is, most crochet patterns i've tried require a lot of counting stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

harry potter craft along- winter semester
2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a 4th of July Cherry Pie Cake
How to Make Ice Cream Cake Cones
No-Bake Chocolate Wafer Cake Recipe
How to Prepare Rainbow Cupcakes
Red, White, and Blue Ice Pops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...