A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Your Own Cheese (You Can Do It!)  (Read 9413 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cheese , craft_challenge_85_entries , mozzarella , farming , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 03, 2013 08:04:52 AM »

We have a small herd of dairy goats which allows me to make feta and goat cheese in my kitchen every week.  I occasionally purchase cow's milk from the store to make camembert, caierphilly, cheddar and romano.  What got me started in cheesemaking years ago was mozzarella.  It's simple, quick and doesn't required a lot of expensive fancy equipment.  Let's get started!

You'll need a big spoon, a kitchen thermometer (WalMart carries a basic model for about $5), salt, rennet, citric acid (more about those in a minute) and a gallon of whole milk.  Don't buy anything other than whole milk or you will end up with less cheese.  It's important not to buy 'ultrapasteurized' milk, so make sure you check the label.  From my personal experience, I never purchase a large chain's home brand. I'm not sure but believe they may pasteurize to a higher temperature to extend shelf life.  What you end up with instead of mozzarella is something the consistency of ricotta.  Not a tragedy, but not what you were expecting. 

You can get either veal or vegetable rennet by mail (I use www.dairyconnection.com), BUT I have seen rennet tablets for sale at Fresh Market and Whole Foods, so check the refrigerator section of your local health food store.

I have seen citric acid available lots of places; including online, Indian groceries and those 'weigh your own herb' sections of Whole Foods and health food stores. 

Mix 1.5 teaspoons of citric acid into 1/4 cup of cool unchlorinated water.  Stir this into your cold milk then start heating it on the stove over medium low heat.  Stir occasionally and watch carefully for this mixture to reach 88 degrees F.  Don't worry if the milk starts to curdle.   Smiley

While it's heating, mix 1/4 teaspoon of liquid rennet (or 1/4 rennet tablet) in 1/4 cup of cool unchlorinated water.  Set aside.

Once it reaches 88 degrees, gently stir the rennet mixture into your milk. 

Continue stirring while heating the milk to 100 degrees.  It only takes a few minutes and you'll see curds startiing to form.

When the milk reaches 100 degrees, take your pot off of the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Miss Muffet, you've got curds and whey!  You can save the whey for breadmaking or feed it to your dog.  Not all at once though, it can give them diarrhea.  Ask me how I know this.   Roll Eyes

Drain off the whey and put the curds in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave them at full power for 1 minute.

Drain off any whey that has collected and gently knead the cheese with either your hand or a large spoon to distribute the heat evenly throughout the cheese.  Stick it back in the microwave for another 35 seconds.   

Drain off the whey, add 1 teaspoon of salt and knead again.  Pop it back in the microwave for 35 more seconds.

Knead one last time until your cheese is smooth and stretchy.  That's it!

Once it cools, you can slice and serve it with tomatoes and basil drizzled with a little olive oil and black pepper or put it on a homemade pizza.  Your friends and family will be amazed!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013 08:29:09 AM »

I will attest that it is very satisfying to make this homemade cheese...I have made it several times, but I was lucky enough to learn from MissingWillow firsthand...and lucky to actually TASTE it!

Oh yummy!

Thanks for this wonderful tutorial...I hope a lot of people try this as it really is that easy (I accidentally made the ricotta a few times, but it was so delicious that sometimes I make it on purpose! Cheesy)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013 09:24:18 AM »

I also was lucky enough to be at the cheese making lesson and this tutorial is the next best thing to being in the kitchen with MissingWillow Grin  I've made cheese at home several times, even with my not so precise thermometer (I can't find one that shows under 100 degrees, apparently you have to buy a special cheese thermometer for that) and even with a tiny bit of guess work it always works out!

Try it, you'll never buy store bought mozza again!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013 09:25:25 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013 09:50:50 AM »

I'm so happy to hear you both are making cheese at home! 

Here's the thermometer I picked up at WalMart for around $5.  I think it's called an analog pocket thermometer and was in the cooking aisle. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013 10:06:21 AM »

I looked everywhere here in Canada (well not the entire country but many places in the big city near me) and could only find candy thermometers that start at 100F but my estimating seems to be working well Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013 10:36:02 AM »

Drooling!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013 10:51:58 AM »

I looked everywhere here in Canada (well not the entire country but many places in the big city near me) and could only find candy thermometers that start at 100F but my estimating seems to be working well Cheesy 
I had the same problem in our area!  I think I will have someone who shops at Walmart go look for me!  Thanks for the picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013 11:03:56 AM »

Oh wow!  I can't wait to try this!  I've never ever in my whole life made cheese but it looks delicious!!! Thanks MW!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013 11:08:37 AM »

Awesome! 

I just checked on Amazon.  They are available for $5.31 and eligible for free super saver shipping, provided you have another $20 of stuff to buy on Amazon (and when is that ever a problem?)   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

Nandra
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013 11:59:23 AM »

Wow, thank you for this excellent tutorial. Might I ask if you're thinking of doing any cambembert tutorials anytime in the future? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...