A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Time Knitting  (Read 1344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dingletwit
« on: April 02, 2013 12:25:48 PM »

I've been crocheting for years, but today is my first time knitting! Can somebody tell me if this is how it's supposed to look?
Also, when casting on, do you count the slip knot? There are 13 loops on this needle, does that mean that there are 13 stitches cast on?
I was using the tutorials at http://community.knitpicks.com/notes; it was kind of a pain because the "knitted cast on" tutorial assumed you already knew how to do a knit stitch, so I had to keep switching back and forth!
Any advice is welcome, and if I'm doing something wrong by all means tell me! Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013 12:38:16 PM »

That looks fine to me!  You do include the slip knot as one of your stitches.  So if there are 13 loops there are 13 stitches.

Personally I've never really got on with the knitted cast on, I'm more of a long tail cast on knitter myself (just to confuse you, there are lots of cast ons & cast offs out there!).

Good luck with the knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
dingletwit
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013 12:56:48 PM »

I saw there were a bunch of cast on tutorials! Who knew? Now I'm working on the actual knit stitch, but everything's too tight and my loops keep falling off the needles. Practice, practice, practice... Thanks a bunch for your quick response!
Update: HOLY COW long tail is a bunch faster!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013 01:10:16 PM by dingletwit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013 12:08:30 AM »

I'm sure you will get the hang of it!  Quite often the first few rows will feel quite tight, just persevere and it i'll get easier I promise!  Personally I find that my stitches are more prone to falling off plastic or metal needles, and that bamboo needles are a little less slippy (however some people find the opposite!).  A lot can depend on the what the yarn is too.

Ps) what is it going to be?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
dingletwit
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013 07:55:06 AM »

I was wondering if my stitches slipping off was just me not having the hang of it or not. I got the long-tail method down pretty well, but after that I'm a little confused because I have the extra tail of yarn at the same end as the stuff coming off the ball. I'm having a hard time now going back and knitting the first row. I've had to put it up a couple times so I don't get too frustrated and lose interest, but I'm determined to get it!
I haven't really planned on any project yet. I'll probably make something simple like a scarf. I'd like to make a sweater or shawl or something, but I'm pretty sure that won't be my first project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013 09:35:00 AM »

Yes, an issue with the long tail cast on is to make sure that you don't accidentally knit with the tail.  Sometimes I tie the tail in a loose knot so it is obvious that is not to be knitted with.  Again, this is only a problem for the first row or two.

A scarf is a good idea to start with.  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catlover1981
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013 03:32:03 AM »

looks fine but make sure your stitches arent to tight when casting on you can cast on to bigger needles if you feel your stitches are tight , another trick i do for lose stitches is to not tighten it on the needle the hole way hope that makes since. What Also i would do is when you have cast on all your stitches be sure to trim your tail down so you dont confuse it with the work I make mine about 3 inches or less you wont need a long tail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dingletwit
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013 08:41:24 AM »

Thanks for the tips, catlover1981! Using larger needles makes sense; I've heard people suggest the same for crocheting when the foundation chain gets too tight. I'll keep your tips in mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrskristina
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013 10:35:06 PM »

That looks good, I think! I do agree that larger needles might be easier- I found them MUCH easier to hold and maneuver when I first started knitting. My first project was awful. Like you, I have crocheted before (for a long time actually) and I thought it would be fairly easy to just pick up some knitting needles and go to town. No. For me, it was the most awkward feeling ever- I couldn't hold them right, I was used to only handling the yarn in my left had with crocheting and now I had all of this other stuff I had to control too. It got a lot easier though. Maybe I just have poor fine motor skills. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013 03:26:01 AM »

As another person who learnt to crochet before she learnt to knit, I can only recommend the continental knitting style! You hold your yarn in your left hand, same as with crochet, and pick up instead of throw your yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Hair Sparkle
Hot Celeb Winter Hairstyles
How to Get Healthy Hair: 5 Quick Tips From Ken Paves
Ken Paves’s Ponytail How-To: the Updated Braid
Halloween Hair Color Tip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...