A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 116
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion Thread for Summer Nerd Games  (Read 106732 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2013 11:04:19 AM »

Welcome to the Summer Nerd Games Planning Arena!
I, pinkleo, shall be your host and Head Gamemaker.

I am so happy that alwaysinmyroom has allowed me to open up a discussion thread about the upcoming Summer Nerd Games.  As many of you know, I run the popular Harry Potter Craftalong (HPC).  And I have had many Craftster Peeps contacting me, telling me they wished they had something like that for their love.  Well, I decided to take the idea of the HPC and apply it to the whole Nerdyverse.  Here is the plan...

The Summer Nerd Games welcomes all players from the Nerdyverse to come and play!  The games are to inspire, encourage, and motivate your crafting adventure.
They will run mid-May to mid-Sept.  And players can join anytime during the games.

Are you wondering if you are part of the Nerdyverse?   I think John Green describes quite well...
“…nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. ...when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”  ...I think we are all part of the Nerdyverse. Cool

Rules of Engagement
--There will be a list of challenges, for you to complete. (Please see HPC for examples.)
--You complete a challenge with crafty item you think fulfills it; you can use your description to make it clear on how craft fits challenge prompt. 
--Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission. 
--A project can only be submitted for one challenge (the same project cannot be entered in multiple categories) unless noted in prompt (it will be CLEARLY noted if allowed).
---A project does NOT have to be "nerdy" to fit a challenge; it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see it.
--Challenges must be started & completed during the Summer Nerd Games, unless otherwise noted.
--There will be SO MUCH to do in the Summer Nerd Games.  Do not feel like you have to craft everything.  Do what inspires you.
--We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. 
--We are never mean. 
--We never exclude someone.
--We will keep it cleanish (PG13). 
--We will follow all Craftster guidelines, this includes staying on-topic (serious OT goes in FOC OT boards). 
--Before playing, you must declare your Geekdom (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, zombies, etc.).  If you jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it, then that is your Geekdom. Cool
--Never hesitate in contacting Head Gamemaker pinkleo with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

For the Summer Nerd Games, you can play Solo (aka Ninja Style) or as a Team. 

About Teams
---Teams are where like-minded players join to work together. 
---A team must declare their Geekdom.  A few examples are Doctor Who, Tolkien Science, Big Bang Theory, Harry Potter, Buffy, comics, zombies, musicals, Disney, medieval, Sherlock Holmes, horror, My Little Ponies, gamers, Fraggles, 80s, Hunger Games, Muppets, Monty Python, steampunks, Tim Burton, chocolate, Jane Austen, recyclers, owls, trees, cats, Stephen King, dystopia, and mystery. 
--Someone must be declared Team Captain before a team can be officially formed.  You may have more than one captain for your team.  Team Captains are needed just as a point of contact for anyone wanting to join a team, and they should be cheerleaders for there teams as well (All  teammates should be cheerleaders for their team).
--You can start building your teams now! Grin  Team Captains need to PM pinkleo when wanting to start their team so it can be listed in the Official Nerd Games Team Roster.  Once a Team Captain(s) is listed, then the Team Captain(s) can either list in the thread or PM additions to their team.
--There is no limit to the number of people in a team.
--Once a team is formed, you cannot deny entry to anyone who wants to join.

Preview of Point System
You can earn 10 Bonus Points for the following...
--Discovery: A new technique or material.
--Engineering: New Tutorial, Pattern, or Recipe posted on Craftster Boards
--Giver: Charity Projects
--Fandom: Inspired by the Nerdyverse (must be clearly noted) with Super Bonus +5pts more for project being your declared geekdom
You may earn more than one set of bonus points for your project.

Research Projects taking 3-4weeks will earn 100 points.  Research Projects must be submitted for approval so that Gamemakers can track timeline and encourage your successful completion.  You will detail what your plan is and how it will take the allotted time to complete.  If your Research Project is a surprise, such as swap project, you may submit your Research Plan to the Head Gamemaker.

Monthly Challenges will earn 30 points.  Possible categories..Textbook (math, sciences, etc.), Multimedia (TV, Movies, Music), Culture (Fandom Based), Wordy (books, wordplay, poetry), Randomizer (like it says, random), Battle Royale

At the End Game, there will be Winners (but really no losers)
--Team Winners (average taken from number of players & point scored)
--Ninja Winners (for this section, I will be including all players, solo & team, for Ninja Awards)
--Special Awards (given by gamemakers)
Winnings will include bragging rights, badges, and possible prizes.

In Search of...
--Co-Gamemakers: Helping hand in the thread (answer questions and inspire), can head up division (i.e. Discovery, Research, Engineering, Culture, Textbook, Multimedia)
--Badgemakers: Those who are skilled in the art of pic manipulation and willing to create badges and avatars.
--Brainstormers: Help come up with challenge & game ideas.  PM them to your Head Gamemaker, pinkleo.  See Categories for inspiration.
If interested PM pinkleo

So...what do you think?  Any ideas?  I would love to hear from you!  I want our games to be tons of fun and super crafty! Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 07:59:51 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013 11:04:27 AM »

Official Summer Nerd Games Team Roster

Team Commercial Free All-Stars: Geekdom: TV
-Team Captain LovelyMiss-
Teammates: stefaniegk, SpeakGeekAndEnter, elliot_anne, alwaysinmyroom, loudxmouse, lilyla19, dwfan10

Team Control Freaks: Geekdom: Video Games
-Team Captain FreakieGeekie-
Teammates: mama24boyz, ohiodiygirl, Krafty_Karasu, smileyyogini

Team Dystopia Geekdom: Dystopia
-Team Captain Abbeeroad-
Teammates: StickerChic87, csnicole, Bobbysgirl

Team Fantasy: Geekdom: Fantasy
-Team Captain Melissaurus-
Teammates: Naantje, docnessie, Flip-floP, RougeRaven, Calabaza, plaidpineapple

Team Monster: Geekdom: Monsters
-Team Captains: gozer & Kwality570-
Teammates: La Chapa, jillybeans

Team Music: Geekdom: Music
-Team Captain Ffrogg526-
Teammates: Chuckiegirl

Team Mystery Lovers: Geekdom: the Unknown (UFOs, cryptozoology, Sherlock Holmes, Scooby Doo, Stonehenge)
-Team Captain bunny1kenobi-
Teammates: bambam91

Team Nerdy Ladies: Geekdom: Favourite Female Characters
-Team Captain lightninglisa
Teammates: Roke45

Team Of Ships & Men: Geekdom: Ships (Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Pirates of the Caribbean, TARDIS)
-Team Captain Eclectic Dreamer-
Teammates: silentblair, travelgirl, PrettyPenguin, Eiseldora, Monty, Ivagrovegirl, misskohaku

Team S&M: Geekdom: Real-World Science/Math
-Team Captain Smeddley-
Teammates: noodle-bug, craftADDchick, Averia

Team SF: Geekdom: Science Fiction
-Team Captain ehinders-
Teammates: Ezri_B

Team that goes bump in the night: Geekdom: Spooky
-Team Captain trinalocakary-
Teammates: Ludi, teag, SharieFairy

Team-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named: Geekdom: Harry Potter
-Team Captain pinkleo-
Teammates: jennieingram, patty_o_furniture, Ant Bee, indigo_roses, pottermouth, lindyv321, 1watermonkey, lurv2knit, felicitybaby

Team Witchcraft: Geekdom: Witchcraft
-Team Captain: MamanTattoo-

Official Summer Nerd Games Ninja Roster

Bakeneko: Discworld
DaphadillyArt: Geekdom: Miyazaki
FiberAlchemist: Geekdom: Whedonverse
leather and lace: Geekdom: Lord of the Rings
Ruby Copperhead: Geekdom: Japan
Whistley: Geekdom: Disney & Friends
Wyked: Geekdom: Doctor Who

Official Summer Nerd Games Staff
Head Gamemaker: pinkleo
Badgemakers: dwfan10, Smeddley, SpeakGeekAndEnter, Bakeneko
Brainstormers: Abbeeroad, bunny1kenobi, Ffrogg526, FiberAlchemist

Prize Patrol
Imprinter Gifts donated custom earrings. Ships anywhere.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013 02:10:06 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013 11:04:35 AM »

FAQS
in case the above is clear as mud
---Once you declare your Geekdom, will you craft only your Geekdom, or are you allowed to craft any?  You can craft any!  And your submissions do not have to be "nerdy."  They can be anything you feel fits the prompt.
---Can stuff 'count for more than one craftalong? YES!  This is particularly important to those who will be participating the Summer Term of the HPC.  You can submit a project in both the HPC & Nerd Games, as long as it fits a prompt.
---Does real world science & maths count as a Geekdom? YES! Math and Science are real world Geekdoms and are definitely part of the Nerdyverse.  Remember, if it makes you jump up & down and smile, then it is a Geekdom in the Nerdyverse; it doesn't matter what it is.
---Can Nerd Games Staff participate in the challenges?  YES! Staff members can participate in all that the Nerd Games have to offer.
---How do a form an Official Team? PM or announce in thread you are forming a team.  Your Head Gamemaker needs a team name, declared geekdom, and at least one peep to be a Team Captain.  Captains are just a contact (PM or thread) for others to say "Hey, I would love to join Team WhateverYourTeamNameIs!"

Example Challenge Prompt
Here is an example of a Monthly Challenge Prompt, which was derived by jennieingram. A big thank you to jennieingram!

CURRENT CHALLENGES:
--Multimedia: (TV/Movie: Star Trek):  In Starfleet, officer jobs are traditionally denoted by the colors the officers wear.  Uniforms are red for command, gold for engineering, and blue for science & medical.  Craft something red, gold, or blue in color.

Now, pretend that you are on Team Jedi with a declared Geekdom of Star Wars.

To fulfill the prompt you could do many things.  You could crochet a red afghan.  You could mod podge together a gold paper crown for your friend's birthday party, that is a replica of a crown in your favorite fantasy novel.  Or you could make a blue pixilated quilt of R2D2.

Making the red afghan would get you the base amount of 30 points for a project. [30 points for completing a Monthly Challenge]

The gold crown would get you bonus points for making something from the Nerdyverse (Remember, it's from your favorite fantasy novel; make sure that when you describe your prompt that you make the connection to the Nerdyverse crystal clear).  So now your projects is 40 points. [30 points for Monthly Challenge and 10 Bonus points for Fandom: making something inspired by the Nerdyverse]

Making the quilt of R2D2 would get you 45 points, because it fulfilled the prompt, had to do with the Nerdyverse, AND it had to do with your Geekdom of Star Wars. [30 points for Monthly Challenge, 10 Fandom Bonus Points, and 5 points for creating something from your declared Geekdom]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 05:55:24 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013 12:36:47 PM »

Once you declare your geekdom, will you craft only your geekdom, or are you allowed to craft any?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013 12:56:19 PM »

Once you declare your geekdom, will you craft only your geekdom, or are you allowed to craft any?
You are allowed to craft any! Grin  Not that your crafting submission have to be "nerdy," they can be anything that you think fits the prompt.  Players will get +10 bonus points for nerdy pieces and an extra +5 points for it being something from their declared Geekdom (meaning +15 bonus points for a nerdy submission from your Geekdom).  Make sense?

I would never be able to stick to just one Geekdom; I have too many Nerdyverse loves! Grin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013 12:57:27 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013 02:36:52 PM »

Sounds fun!  I'm in.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013 02:47:38 PM »

Interested! Though I'll be hard pressed to pick just one geekdom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013 02:48:24 PM »

My interests are piqued.  Sounds like a fun way to spend the summer.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013 03:20:47 PM »

Sounds fun!  I'm in.  Smiley
YAY!!!!! Grin

...be hard pressed to pick just one geekdom!
Remember you craft any geekdom.  And when forming or searching your Team, you could keep it more open such as YA books or SciFi; this will give you lots of wiggle room for your team geekdom super bonus. Cool

Sounds like a fun way to spend the summer.  Cheesy
Agreed!  I'm excited about it being in the summer because I'll have more free time to devote to the thread! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bakeneko
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013 05:14:49 PM »

I will play sounds great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 116 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Additional Layering
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Spattering Texture
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Canvas Prep and Undercoat
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Preparing a Work Space
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...