A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion Thread for Summer Nerd Games  (Read 106215 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013 03:23:59 PM »

Hmmm, Sliderule (or some incarnation of it) is really calling to me.  It is pertinant, and also has a very nerdy association.  Of course, I could go super nerd very unimaginatively...

"Team Science and Math"

...but I can't do that.  I wonder if I could make an acronym?  A nerdy acronym would be, like, nerd to the third power.  *ponders*

Naughty Jennie just thought "Team S&M".  Hehehehe.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013 03:27:01 PM »

Okay, going to post several replies so that peeps can find their answers.  Also note that I will keep adding to the FAQs page, located first page, third post.

Oh my GOSH!! This is epic - I cannot wait to participate in this!!

I would love to place a holder for team captain on a Fantasy-themed team. I think that's broad enough to be awesome. Tongue

I can't seem to think of a proper name right now, though. Any suggestions?
Hi Melissaurus!  And YAY for volunteering to become a Team Captain.  So that you can start gathering teammates, I'll add you a placeholder of Team Fantasy, with Fantasy as your Geekdom.  You can just post in thread when you wish to alter the name (or if you need to update your Geekdom).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013 03:31:07 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013 03:39:43 PM »

This sounds like something I think I'd want to take a swap hiatus for!
 Grin Grin Grin

I do have a question that I'm sure has been asked and answered several times, but I'm getting confused as I read the thread.
Not that what's being said in the thread is confusing....But being a silentblair of very little brain am getting tricked up and overthinking.....

Let's say I'm on a Star Trek team, for example.
Can I, in order to complete a challenge/category, craft something pertaining to physics?

As I understand it teams can bond together uniting in a common theme and then craft any type nerd-esque item or inspiration.

Am I correct?

Sorry to be a weirdo.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Hi silentblair!  This will definitely be a good craftalong while on swap hiatus. Grin

I too suffer from the overthinking, but I promise, actually participating in the craftalong will be easier than describing it.  (HPC peeps can testify to this. Cool)

Teams are just to have fellow cheerleaders and a chance to meet & bond with like-minded peeps.  There will at the end be a Team Winner, but this is just for fun at the end.  Solo aka Ninja Winners will count everyone, on a team or not.  But points & badges and such are not the main focus of the Nerd Games.  The main focus is to inspire crafting and have fun! Grin

As far as the crafting, see this post...jennie explained fantastically in her post.  THANK YOU JENNIE! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013 03:45:04 PM »

I'm trying to wrap my tiny mind around it also; if one joins a team, does one have to only craft for that team or can one sometimes go rogue/ninja and craft outside of the team effort?
A Team is just a way to meet & bond with like-nerdy peeps and receive encouragement * inspiration through group cheerleading.  Your crafting does not have to follow any team effort. You craft whatever inspiration you get from the challenge prompt. The only teammates have in common is their declared geekdom.  Make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013 03:54:42 PM »

Let's see if I can help.  (I'm fluent in pinkleoese, and am sometimes good at translating.) 

Let's pretend you are on Team Star Trek.  As a member of Team Trek you can totally craft something related to Physics.  Or Doctor Who.  Or Harry Potter.  The main goal is to CRAFT something that fits the prompt.  Now a prompt is just something to inspire you, and get those creative juices flowing.  It can be something like this...

Star Trek Example Prompt:  (Which can be done by any team.  This is just the first example that occurred to me!)
In Starfleet, officer jobs are traditionally denoted by the colors the officers wear.  Uniforms are red for command, gold for engineering, and blue for science & medical.  Craft something red, gold, or blue in color. 

Now, to fulfill that prompt you could do many things.  You could crochet a red afghan.  You could mod podge together a gold paper crown for your friend's birthday party, that is a replica of a crown in your favorite fantasy novel.  Or could make a blue pixilated quilt of Mr. Spock.

Making the red afghan would get you the base amount of points for a project.  The gold crown would get you bonus points for making something from the Nerdyverse (your favorite fantasy novel).  Making the quilt of Mr. Spock would get you EXTRA points, because it fulfilled the prompt, had to do with the Nerdyverse, AND it had to do with your team. 

Does that help? 

Have to say...Kiss ♥ I LOVE YOU JENNIE! ♥ Kiss  Thank goodness you speak pinkleoese. Cool

Great, simple explanation!

And this is a perfect prompt example!  This particular example would be of a Mulitmedia Challenge (a prompt based on TV, Movie, Music)  I'm going to set this up later tonight in the FAQ section to help others and give everyone examples of bonus points.

P.S.  Pinks, I'm officially submitting this Trek prompt for consideration.  Wink
YAY!!!!  You're the best! Grin

Is it bad that I thought the same thing? Cool Wink Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013 08:38:02 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2013 03:54:59 PM »

Hmmm, Sliderule (or some incarnation of it) is really calling to me.  It is pertinant, and also has a very nerdy association.  Of course, I could go super nerd very unimaginatively...

"Team Science and Math"

...but I can't do that.  I wonder if I could make an acronym?  A nerdy acronym would be, like, nerd to the third power.  *ponders*

Can I get away with that?!  THAT IS BRILLIANT!  And it totally shows that I'm not feeling up to par that I didn't see that when I typed it out...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013 03:55:55 PM »

Jennie:
Thank you, you have been
and always shall be
....my hero!
 Wink
Thanks for putting things in trek terminology.
Sadly, it became clear as day. hee hee.

Pinkleo:
The first post did explain everything clearly. I just get caught up in the rabbit hole of my thoughts. I'm so happy you join me in the overthinking club!  Cheesy

I had to sit out on the Harry Potter Games, SO crazy thrilled to join this!
What a great way to finally get some of those "projects I've always wanted to start for myself" accomplished!
(Or maybe "projects I didn't intend to make, but ended up needing to make them" as well! Wink).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013 03:57:48 PM »

Hmmm, Sliderule (or some incarnation of it) is really calling to me.  It is pertinant, and also has a very nerdy association.  Of course, I could go super nerd very unimaginatively...

"Team Science and Math"

...but I can't do that.  I wonder if I could make an acronym?  A nerdy acronym would be, like, nerd to the third power.  *ponders*

Naughty Jennie just thought "Team S&M".  Hehehehe....  

Can I get away with that?!  THAT IS BRILLIANT!  And it totally shows that I'm not feeling up to par that I didn't see that when I typed it out...   Grin
Yes, if you wish, you may use Team S&M as your team name. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013 03:58:03 PM »

All the other names I can think of are more Star Trek than science...

Temporal Distortion
The Time-Space Continuums
Technobabble

More on math, I thought of:

Phi on you

or, in refernce to the debate over Pi or Tau in reference to circles,

Phi on Pi, said Tau
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013 03:58:33 PM »

Hmmm, Sliderule (or some incarnation of it) is really calling to me.  It is pertinant, and also has a very nerdy association.  Of course, I could go super nerd very unimaginatively...

"Team Science and Math"

...but I can't do that.  I wonder if I could make an acronym?  A nerdy acronym would be, like, nerd to the third power.  *ponders*

Naughty Jennie just thought "Team S&M".  Hehehehe....  

Yes, if you wish, you may use Team S&M as your team name. Cool

DONE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 116 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Angry Manga Face
How to Draw Marge Simpson
How to Sketch Donald Duck
How to Draw Comic Strips
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...