A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion Thread for Summer Nerd Games  (Read 160200 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2013 05:04:04 PM »

....but after I had made a graph depicting my % of knowledge & expertise in each of the nerdyverses....

Hehehe, even artists like myself have been known to like a good graph...  I personally make spreadsheets like it's my job.

one of us, one of us....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies, felt badges,or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Eiseldora
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2013 11:28:19 PM »

OK... does anybody want to join an "Of Ships & Men" team?Huh Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly... Pirates of the Carribean (hello... ships. and Johnny Depp & Orlando Bloom....)

I'd be on the Ships & Men if you include this man:

John and Sherlock could also count since that is their "shipping" yeah probably to much of a stretch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2013 03:45:06 AM »

Would love to see a Team Love and Justice - Sailor Moon Wink
Or Manga/anime/Japan altogether?

But I have a bit of mixed feelings about the Nerd Games. I love the whole concept of course. If this doesn't make me do some lovely nerdy crafts this summer, then I don't know.

The thing that put me off the HP Craftalongs though was the size and speed of the thread. It moves so fast, it makes almost any kind of commenting on a project or discussion a subject really difficult, and I missed that a lot. I ended up just browsing over tons of awesome projects silently, and it stopped being a group effort for me, and I was a bit disappointed because it didn't feel like we were doing it together any more.

The thought of a nerd game thread that moves at the speed of ten or more pages per day makes me think I won't be able to keep up with that, and I would be very sad if this fantastic idea turned out to be stressful or frustrating just to read up upon, let alone participate.

So my question is, if the Nerd Games turn out to be big enough (and I have a feeling they will be), could we ask craftster to give us our own board for it? That way, we'd have places to discuss things, could see all project and comment on them even after weeks, everything would be easy and fun to navigate and participate in.

Opions? Suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentblair
Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2013 03:52:27 AM »

Eiseldora:
That is a FANTASTIC use of the word "SHIP"!!!!

I say you officially are my muse today Eiseldora!

Eclectic Dreamer:
Some may say the TARDIS is "THE" ship as it's a life form in and of itself.  Cool
Let me think and get back to you on where/when suggest starting your Whovian adventure.
As this is the 50th anniversary year, there's LOTS of amazing things happening!  Wink

PS:
I think Ruby Copperhead might be on to something there....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flip-floP
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2013 05:31:54 AM »

I think my first post was accidentally skipped, but I would like to join the fantasy geekdom. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2013 06:12:26 AM »

I think my first post was accidentally skipped, but I would like to join the fantasy geekdom. Smiley
Gotcha! Cool Thanks for posting & letting me know! Grin
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 06:52:01 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2013 06:48:50 AM »

Would love to see a Team Love and Justice - Sailor Moon Wink
Or Manga/anime/Japan altogether?
ooooo..., Team Love and Justice sounds fab (Yup, I adore Sailor Moon too, watch the series, movies, and read manga...I told you I had lots of Nerdyverse loves).  And Manga/anime/Japan all together sounds fantastic (ah, big on Studio Ghibli in my house... Totoro, Ponyo, Arrietty, Kiki...)

But I have a bit of mixed feelings about the Nerd Games. I love the whole concept of course. If this doesn't make me do some lovely nerdy crafts this summer, then I don't know.

The thing that put me off the HP Craftalongs though was the size and speed of the thread. It moves so fast, it makes almost any kind of commenting on a project or discussion a subject really difficult, and I missed that a lot. I ended up just browsing over tons of awesome projects silently, and it stopped being a group effort for me, and I was a bit disappointed because it didn't feel like we were doing it together any more.

The thought of a nerd game thread that moves at the speed of ten or more pages per day makes me think I won't be able to keep up with that, and I would be very sad if this fantastic idea turned out to be stressful or frustrating just to read up upon, let alone participate.

So my question is, if the Nerd Games turn out to be big enough (and I have a feeling they will be), could we ask craftster to give us our own board for it? That way, we'd have places to discuss things, could see all project and comment on them even after weeks, everything would be easy and fun to navigate and participate in.

Opions? Suggestions?
From experience, my craftalongs do seem to run fast & furious.  First, don't feel obligated to comment or discuss everything; pop in & post when you like (no one will think you rude).  Second, this discussion thread will remain active to hopefully divert some traffic from our Official Nerd Games thread; it will be a great place to meet for chatting on things that are not project/prompt related or for asking questions.  Third, this is where having a team will help out; it will breakdown a large craftalong into something that is more manageable to players, especially those who want to chat.

I will say that I have been a part of some epic craftalongs (and swaps for that matter) that were fast & furious.  But I found after a bit, I could follow it fairly well.  I stopped feeling super guilty if I missed a day on Craftster (I do have a RL), and I found everyone is so kind and truly happy to see/hear from me whenever I'm around.

The Nerd Games are most likely going to be HUGE!  But I doubt that Craftster would open a board just for it (Plus, I like the fact that I might draw anyone into the Craftster Craftalong section; what a wondrous place to get inspired!).  Further, I'm sure Craftster wouldn't want us opening up tons of threads for one craftalong, i.e. Team threads, mostly because they go off-topic (crafting topic) quickly.  For the HPC, we use the Friends of Craftster Off-Topic Chit-Chat boards.  There we chat up our teammates about movies, food, books, secret planning Cool, life, etc.  Also, you can chat up your teammates through PMs.

For browsing the projects, let it be known that I will link up every submission to one of the first page posts (and you could always use the handy "Show Images Only" button).  And I'm pretty sure the thread will be stickied so it will be easy to find, and the page will remain up so peeps can comment even after the games are over.

How I keep track of where I'm at is to either reference my last post on the thread (like a thread bookmark) or use the "Replies to Your Posts" feature.  Also, I post huge reply comments, and will use @membername to highlight whom I'm talking to.

My suggestion is to enjoy.  Jump in and comment when you can.  Don't fret about commenting on everything.  Post what you've crafted (that's the biggest one, posting projects will get others inspired). 

Hope that helps! Grin 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 06:54:37 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2013 06:50:02 AM »

Opions? Suggestions?

This has often been the reason for me to turn away from fun things that get too big. I feel awful when I can't keep up with the pages and pages of discussion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2013 06:57:55 AM »

John and Sherlock could also count since that is their "shipping" yeah probably to much of a stretch.
Okay, for Ships & Men, I can see TARDIS as a ship, but "shipping" is definitely a stretch!

This has often been the reason for me to turn away from fun things that get too big. I feel awful when I can't keep up with the pages and pages of discussion.
Please, please, please don't feel bad for not keeping up.  (don't fret on it a moment)  Everyone knows that craftalongs are big and that real life happens.  Craftalongers (all craftster peeps really) are happy to hear from anyone, whenever they can post/share.  I promise!  ((HUGS))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013 07:00:55 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flip-floP
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2013 07:01:56 AM »

From experience, my craftalongs do seem to run fast & furious.  First, don't feel obligated to comment or discuss everything; pop in & post when you like (no one will think you rude).  Second, this discussion thread will remain active to hopefully divert some traffic from our Official Nerd Games thread; it will be a great place to meet for chatting on things that are not project/prompt related or for asking questions.  Third, this is where having a team will help out; it will breakdown a large craftalong into something that is more manageable to players, especially those who want to chat.

I will say that I have been a part of some epic craftalongs (and swaps for that matter) that were fast & furious.  But I found after a bit, I could follow it fairly well.  I stopped feeling super guilty if I missed a day on Craftster (I do have a RL), and I found everyone is so kind and truly happy to see/hear from me whenever I'm around.

The Nerd Games are most likely going to be HUGE!  But I doubt that Craftster would open a board just for it (Plus, I like the fact that I might draw anyone into the Craftster Craftalong section; what a wondrous place to get inspired!).  Further, I'm sure Craftster wouldn't want us opening up tons of threads for one craftalong, i.e. Team threads, mostly because they go off-topic (crafting topic) quickly.  For the HPC, we use the Friends of Craftster Off-Topic Chit-Chat boards.  There we chat up our teammates about movies, food, books, secret planning Cool, life, etc.  Also, you can chat up your teammates through PMs.

For browsing the projects, let it be known that I will link up every submission to one of the first page posts (and you could always use the handy "Show Images Only" button).  And I'm pretty sure the thread will be stickied so it will be easy to find, and the page will remain up so peeps can comment even after the games are over.

How I keep track of where I'm at is to either reference my last post on the thread (like a thread bookmark) or use the "Replies to Your Posts" feature.  Also, I post huge reply comments, and will use @membername to highlight whom I'm talking to.

My suggestion is to enjoy.  Jump in and comment when you can.  Don't fret about commenting on everything.  Post what you've crafted (that's the biggest one, posting projects will get others inspired). 

Hope that helps! Grin 

It made me feel a bit better. I was reading through the HPC yesterday and while I got super excited to join, it also made me a little nervous because there were 48 pages to read through and the previous craftalongs were huge. Some times I find it difficult to get on the interwebs every day and knowing that I won't be expected to read through the 24,000 pages the thread acquires while I'm away is a relief. I also like that you'll be linking all the pictures at the beginning of the thread so that way I won't feel like I'm really missing out on anything. Just makes me more excited to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Tool Angels Use to Get Runway Ready
How to Do a Snake Braid
How to in 60 Seconds Hair Styles: Side Swept Braid
Hot New Hair Accessory: Chic Bobby Pins
Sarah Potempa Shows Us How to Get the Perfect Curl Every Time
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...