A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 116
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion Thread for Summer Nerd Games  (Read 112254 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2013 10:26:58 AM »

I might fall into team Anglophile too, as I love Queen, The Beatles, Doctor Who, the beautiful British language and dialects, I absolutely adored anywhere in Britain I've visited (that's fairly limited, I must admit!), we'll have Harry Potter and Tolkien returning at this point, there's Tim Minchin (he lives in London, so he counts right?) and British Comedy, BBC does deliver great quality TV. I'm particularly fond of British detectives and BBC's historical shows and I'll admit to watching nearly any BBC show that's not a soap, doesn't have a jury or a talk show host (Really don't like Strictly Come Dancing, How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria, The Voice, ...) Outnumbered is really nice!

We are in the exact same boat! Why doesn't the US have panel shows or quizzes?

... So would anyone be interested in a Doctor Who, Merlin, Sherlock team? (Is there anything else we should try to add? Cheesy)

They're all BBC shows, aren't they? If so, maybe this ^^^^ would fit with that vvvvv.

I would be down for a BBC team (sherlock, doctor who, buzzcocks, boosh, IT crowd, etc) as this is my biggest geekdom I think. Team Anglophile?

Just a thought! Wink

I'm torn between so many different teams! Ships & Men sounds brilliant, so does the Anglophiles and then there's Fantasy; so much love for fantasy. Whee!~  I need a "Team that Can't Choose One Geekdom" Wink.  I'll choose soon! May have to just put random.org to use to choose though. Tongue

that would be perfect! I haven't watched merlin yet....trying to limit the amount of hard-to-find shows that I watch and then have no one to discuss with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts winter Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2013 12:25:41 PM »

The supernatural is Spooky, but not all Spooky is supernatural.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013 12:27:34 PM by Ludi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2013 01:57:10 PM »

I seem to be thinking about not much else than this awesome thread!

I had a thought...
What if a certain show, story, character might apply to several geekdoms?

Example:
Doctor Who.
It's BBC/Anglophile
He's also a man and his ship (TARDIS)
Horror/Supernatural (Weeping Angels)

I'm sure there are other examples than the Doctor, this was just the one that came to mind.

I don't want to....rock the boat?
make waves?

tee hee!

Just curious.
I think tonight I'm going to go over the HPC to do homework on all the fun I'm going to have this summer in these Games.
 Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2013 02:09:52 PM »

*Officially joining team Fantasy!* Here's to beautiful gowns and heavy cloaks. A must for fantasy fanatics whoe can take a bit of satire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tough_Guide_To_Fantasyland

And silentblair, it's unavoidable that some things will fit several of the wider geekdoms. I myself would lump Harry Potter under fantasy, but it's definitely big enough to be a geekdom of its own (I know many HP fans who are not into epic fantasy at all) and it would fit under Anglophile too. I don't think that'll be an issue for anyone, really. Labels are good when they help us find more of the things we love and enjoy, or when they help us find the people who love and enjoy the same things, but I don't think they should ever be constraining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2013 02:26:02 PM »

Thanks Naantje!
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Huzzah for Non-constraint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2013 03:03:09 PM »

There are overlaps everywhere, and quite honestly everyone will always *want* a single group that contains all their specific loves.  But there will always be someone else that doesn't love exactly the same 27 fandoms and you do. 26 maybe, but there will always be that 1 other thing they they are into that you aren't.  I'm seriously not trying to sound sarcastic, but I recommend just dealing with it friends.  Smiley  Just pick *one* love to focus on with joining a team.  You can still craft whatever you want, for whatever you love.  And this will happen next summer I'm sure.  So, if you join Team Fantasy this summer, only to decide that your heart really lies with Team Beeb (BBC), you can always be on Team Beeb next summer.  (I just made up Team Beeb, but there seems to be a lot of you floating around ideas for teams based on BBC shows.)

And choosing Team Fantasy doesn't mean that you can't craft a TARDIS quilt because you're in love with the Doctor.  You can always craft what you love.  Wink

AND.... I'd like to respectfully point out that this thread is going crazy really fast, but it's still weeks and weeks away.  So don't get discouraged if you put a feeler out for a team, and no one has responded yet.  There is plenty of time, and in the wide world of geekiness, there is bound to be someone else out there that wants to join up and cheer you on. 

(I hope this post doesn't come off as rude, because that is totally not my intent.  I'm hoping the folks who are regulars in the HPC will attest to the fact that I am not a mean and evil monster.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2013 04:05:16 PM »

I think we're all just really excited!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2013 07:11:50 PM »

Okay, I think I need to do this! The Harry Potter version looked like so much fun, but this is much more my style...

I think as a science geek, I need to join Smeddley's team!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2013 10:37:46 PM »

I am such a broad spectrum geek, like most of us are.
I know I said I wanted to be Team Fantasy but might I become captain of the gamer team? I mean, I LOVE Fantasy but I am a gaming addict.

Gamers, shall we be Team Control Freaks? That's the only good name I could come up with.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013 10:39:49 PM by FreakieGeekie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2013 10:48:14 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to open a Team Fellowship or something for LotR!!!!!  Or maybe something for Stephen King???
I absolutely adore both LotR & Stephen King, and I fully plan to represent these Geekdoms during the games (I'm going to hit as many of my Nerdyverse loves as possible this summer...fingers crossed for hoopla explosion!)

How have I only noticed this thread now!?! Pinkleo, you bring some of the most amazing awesomesauce to craftster! I love the HPC and these Nerd Games sound just like my cup of tea!
So, do I go with Fantasy, Anglophile or Steampunk? I've still got a while to choose, right?
((HUGS)) Hi Naantje! I'm glad you popped in! Grin  Yes, you've got time to decide.  I wish you the best of luck! Wink

I have finally figured out what Geekdom I would like to throw myself behind. There hasn't been much if any mention behind it, but I would like to go Team Gamer (RPGs, video, board, ect.) I'm not sure I'll have time to captain, but is there anyone out there who'd like to join up and maybe create a fun name for us?
So happy to see a resident from the Geekdom of Gamer Cool...What a fabulous & fun Geekdom!  Fingers crossed for your captain search; I'm sure you will find one since we have lots of time before the games begin.  (And if desired, you can always play Solo aka Ninja Style with a Geekdom of Gamer.)

Would the supernatural genre be too broad of a team?
Nope; it is not too broad.  Supernatural is a wondrous Geekdom. Grin
Awesome! That would cover my love of Buffy, Being Human, Angel, Dead Like Me, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, Dresden Files and Supernatural. (I have a lot of loves.  Cheesy) It has Once Upon a Time and The Walking Dead listed as supernatural dramas on wikipedia, although their a little more towards other genres do you think it would be okay to include them too?  Undecided
Let it be known now that I'm a fairly easy judge...this goes for prompt fulfillment & what you perceive in your Geekdom.  If you take an effort to sell me on it, I'm mostly likely to sway your way because first & foremost, I want to inspire you to craft! Grin

The supernatural is Spooky, but not all Spooky is supernatural.  Smiley
completely agree! Cool

I seem to be thinking about not much else than this awesome thread!
Ah, glad to see it is not just me! Wink Grin

I had a thought...What if a certain show, story, character might apply to several geekdoms?
Your description/explanation of your project submission is key.  If you link it to your Geekdom, then I will be more than happy to award bonus points. Grin

I think tonight I'm going to go over the HPC to do homework on all the fun I'm going to have this summer in these Games.
This makes me beyond giddy! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 116 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 3
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Flash - Overview
How to Design Custom Menus in Adobe Encore Lesson 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...