A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RenFest 2013 costume!  (Read 909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ValiantSeraphim
« on: April 01, 2013 02:42:52 PM »

I'm so excited to be going to the Renaissance Festival for the second time ever! Last year was my first, and I made a quick, simple costume. It was totally lame, especially the top part, because I just used a long sleeved white shirt and a black tank top.

This year I made my entire costume (almost) from scratch.

The skirt I reused from last year. I bought it from a local thrift store and added the white panel last year. This year I added elastic to the waist so it would stop falling down (very irritating last year). Other than that it's the same.

The shirt I made from this pattern here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118928.0#axzz2PE5iOEOf Naturally, my fabric was too short, so instead of long flowy sleeves I have shorter ones, and I have to wear a tank top underneath as a just in case. Other than that, though, I think it turned out fine.

The apron was from this tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=417397.0#axzz2Ohhf655g. I didn't alter this at all, but the shoulder straps ended up being too short so instead of crossing over the back they just tie behind my neck. I also added some hand embroidery to the front-- I'm a total newb at embroidery ... I was trying to do a circle, and ended up with an oval so I made it a leaf  Roll Eyes

The drawstring bag was from this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=346390.0#axzz2P8LD0AmZ. I made it way bigger so it could hold all the important things like chapstick and money for the festival. My camera and my phone are going in the pockets of the apron. I used twine from my horses' hay bales for the tie.. I might paws and use the extra leather from the corset.

Last is the corset. I had a lot of trouble with this, but I really like how it turned out. I made it waaay to short around on the first go, and had to add extra fabric. Then I had to angle and hem it so that it would tie at the top and at the bottom. I hand sewed all the button holes, 12 in total.

Now for pictures!
apron down

apron up

Back

Bag closed

Bag open(ish)

embroidery

Corset (it actually works!)

I'll be updating this after the festival with my son's costume and the covered wagon I'm taking him in, as well as my dogs in costume (they're just going as fairies, nothing fancy since they have such long, beautiful fur).

Let me know what you think!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013 04:18:38 PM by meleriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ValiantSeraphim
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013 07:25:05 PM »

Well, I suppose I'll be fixing this post tomorrow when April Fool's day is over  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013 03:10:21 PM »

This outfit is so cute, and I really love those little leaves, it's a neat detail =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013 05:52:21 AM »

Lovely costume! The colors you chose are fab!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cuts of Meat from the Short Loin
Cuts of Beef from the Rib
Cuts of Beef from the Short Plate
Grades of Beef
Primal Cuts of Meat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...