A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ottobre Mozart Linen Vest, Beethoven Dress Shirt, Jodhpur Linen Pants  (Read 810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« on: March 31, 2013 03:34:58 PM »

I figured I would review all three patterns at the same time since they came out of the same Ottobre magazine (3/2010) & I made them to be worn together for Easter.  This was my first time sewing from Ottobre patterns, although I am a big fan of the boys selection of patterns.  If you have sewn with Ottobre before, then you know that the instructions require a basic level of clothing construction knowledge...so I wouldn't recommend them to beginners unless you have a more experienced sewer to help you.  It also is all in metric & requires you to add seam allowances when cutting out pieces & some of the verbiage was a little weird so I figure the translation is done by a non-American.  My sewing experience is more on the advanced side.  Anyway...

The Jodhpur pants I made out of a stretch denim since I didn't care for the linen/linen chambray selection at my fabric store.  They have a zipper fly, but the back has an elastic bit in the waistband.  I found that the measurements for the elastic piece were off, so I would highly recommend fitting this to your own child.  Granted the pants were a bit big on my son anyway (I made a size too big with the hope that he could wear them next winter since it is almost shorts weather now here in the south).  However, even then, the elastic didn't have much stretch once I'd put it in - it was almost flat.  I also found the zipper fly instructions a bit confusing.  And although there were instructions for attaching the belt loops, there did not appear to be pattern pieces for them.  In terms of fit, they were about right but they look a little full in the hips.

The vest went together easily & was nothing different than any other vest pattern I've done.  I did add 2" though because my son is long waisted & it looked fairly short in the magazine.  And I've never done ties that small (I mean it is for a toddler, after all) & I had a bit of trouble manipulating pieces that small.  Smiley

The shirt was great.  I've never done a male button up shirt before just because they sell them all over the place.  The instructions were easy & I had no problems with it.  I was glad my machine has an automatic button holer - my old one didn't & the vest & shirt would have been SUCH a hassle.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013 06:07:31 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013 05:41:02 PM »

For Ottobre patterns, usually there aren't pattern pieces for belt-loops, there should be measurements given under the cutting instructions
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013 06:05:55 PM »

Found it - thanks! Well now I can add belt loops on for the winter. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 2
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 1
How to Create a Title Screen with After Effects
How to Create a Title Screen in After Effects
How to Create a Title Screen With After Effects Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...