A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Asian matchbook book  (Read 1623 times)
Tags for this thread: matchbook  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 29, 2013 08:14:59 PM »

ok so, I got this blank matchbook book a while ago from Smmarrt.  it sat around in one of my "stuff" craft supply drawers until last week.  I decided to decorate it with the help of my Cricut.  I will tell you one thing about layered cartridges; I hate them because they just seen like so much work for pieces that some times end up not fitting together.  the little kimono you'll see is a great example.  here's what I managed to come up with:

front:

back:

pages side 1:

pages side 2:

there were 6 pages and I planned to do both sides, but I was just so uninspired that I decided to glue the pages together.  it didn't come out as great as I was hoping, and I notice things I don't like about it (exposed base color, I guess I don't know how to cover things that get folded so the inside crinkled up and the outside slipped out of place, the ink on three of the pages doesn't want to dry and no one will help me figure out how to make it dry, etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013 09:21:54 PM »

KK, it may not be perfect but it's gorgeous! Actually, I think it's great the way it is. Perfection is highly overrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013 09:49:59 PM »

I'm a perfectionist.  that's part of my problem when it comes to crafting.  Sad  I have a hard time being messy or imperfect.

but thank you!  it makes me happy to know that you like it so much.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013 12:01:27 AM »

It's stunning. I love them all but the panda is my favorite. I love pandas. And the koi is gorgeous (it is koi, isn't it?)
My only complaint is the bowl. It makes me hungry. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013 12:29:34 AM »

I love the panda too.  Grin  I was so excited when I remembered I had all these Asian style stamps, and since pandas like bamboo, I figured that would be the perfect thing to stamp that page with.  I'm pretty sure it's a koi.  it would make sense.

I KNOW!!!  the bowl is making me hungry from some ramen noodles or yakisoba.  heck, I could even go for some rice noodles (not my favorite, but they'll do in a pinch).  by the way, it's hard to tell thanks to the flash, but the bowl was cut from a Japanese recipe taken from a Japanese cooking magazine...I think.  Cheesy  I'm assuming because they came from alwaysinmyroom and there were ads and recipes all over the color photo pages.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013 05:14:29 AM »

KK--this is such a clever little project!  The images are perfect!  You picked such iconic Japanese images--I love the tiny kimono and the rice bowl!

And yeah, the pages are from sort of a Ladies Home Journal type of magazine Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013 11:44:27 AM »

Yes, I sent that little booklet. I think it's from Oriental Trading - from an order of stuff I bought for my students.

As to drying inks, yes, I would use the heat gun - I use it on everything. The other idea I had was to lightly sand the edges, with a dry scrubber sponge, if you don't have a sanding block. (You can also use an emery board!) That may help absorption. I tried altering a board book that was a former children's book and the pages were super slick. In the end, I think I covered them with gesso, but I still had to sand over the pages that I hadn't used paper on.

Hope this helps and I think it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Ninni Swap - Partners!
Fall Dotee Swap -Visit the gallery!
4 x 6 Art Swap - Coming soon.....
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013 01:31:04 PM »

I love the panda too.  Grin  I was so excited when I remembered I had all these Asian style stamps, and since pandas like bamboo, I figured that would be the perfect thing to stamp that page with.  I'm pretty sure it's a koi.  it would make sense.

I KNOW!!!  the bowl is making me hungry from some ramen noodles or yakisoba.  heck, I could even go for some rice noodles (not my favorite, but they'll do in a pinch).  by the way, it's hard to tell thanks to the flash, but the bowl was cut from a Japanese recipe taken from a Japanese cooking magazine...I think.  Cheesy  I'm assuming because they came from alwaysinmyroom and there were ads and recipes all over the color photo pages.  Tongue

I have a lot of plushie pandas from when I was a kid.
Koi are a symbol of wealth in Japan (I think it was wealth).

Mmm, noodles. I love that you used a recipe to make your bowl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013 03:23:41 PM »

KK--this is such a clever little project!  The images are perfect!  You picked such iconic Japanese images--I love the tiny kimono and the rice bowl!

And yeah, the pages are from sort of a Ladies Home Journal type of magazine Cheesy

thank you!  Grin  there are 2 kimonos on this Cricut cartridge, but I keep using this one because it's 2 pieces while the other is 3 and I have a hard enough time getting two pieces lined up to look ok.  Tongue  I don't think the overlay was made correctly.  even though both parts were made in the same size, the overlay still seems to be a bit smaller.  maybe one day I'll make the other kimono.

and awesome!  a Japanese-style LHJ magazine!  but these recipes all looked good, where as I'm not usually impressed by many of LHJ's recipes.  Roll Eyes

Yes, I sent that little booklet. I think it's from Oriental Trading - from an order of stuff I bought for my students.

As to drying inks, yes, I would use the heat gun - I use it on everything. The other idea I had was to lightly sand the edges, with a dry scrubber sponge, if you don't have a sanding block. (You can also use an emery board!) That may help absorption. I tried altering a board book that was a former children's book and the pages were super slick. In the end, I think I covered them with gesso, but I still had to sand over the pages that I hadn't used paper on.

Hope this helps and I think it looks great!

yay Smmarrt!  both artists that contributed to my little project are here!  Grin

Oriental Trading?  really??  I don't think I was really looking at papercrafting product back then, so if it is from there, I missed it.  I think I'll take a look now though.

oh thank you thank you!  that does help a bunch!  I've used an emery board to sand some earring posts I got from Jo-Ann Fabrics (they seem to be poorly made.  they all have this hook on the end and it hurts to try and put them in my ears.  hurts even more to take them out).  I never would have thought to do something like that with paper!  and I'd love some gesso, but it's so expensive.  Sad  and thank you for the compliment.  Grin

I have a lot of plushie pandas from when I was a kid.
Koi are a symbol of wealth in Japan (I think it was wealth).

Mmm, noodles. I love that you used a recipe to make your bowl.

well, pandas are cute, so I'm really not surprised that you had tons of them as toys.  Tongue  The Littlest Petshop did a special collection of pets (postcard pets or something.  they came in a little six-sided box with a tag on the handle that had a cute "stamp" on it, a picture postcard of the country they're from, a special design on the pet, and 2 little extra things for the pet) and I HAD to have the panda.  she has little pink cherry blossoms on her, and she came with a postcard of China, a little straw hat, and a bowl of rice.  Grin  and koi are so pretty.  they're much more interesting to look at than your average carp.

hee hee.  I thought it was pretty ingenious myself.  Grin

and I just remembered that I also play a game on Facebook that involves pandas!  lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013 05:19:33 PM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013 01:30:34 PM »

Koi are definitely pretty to look at Cheesy

It just amazes me that this is all paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eliminate "Back Fat" With the Right Bra
How to Deal With Bra "Spillage"
Picking a Bra to Prevent Sagging
Fashion Social Media Recap: Kerry Washington at the CFDA Fashion Awards
High-Low Hems Are Perfect For Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...