A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ok so...pigment inks. do they EVER dry?!  (Read 931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 28, 2013 09:56:10 PM »

ok all you papercrafting goddesses (and perhaps gods).  I am in need of some help with pigment ink info.

I'm currently working on this blank matchbook book I was given in a swap some time ago.  the "pages" are kinda slick, so I wanted to cover them with paper, but cutting off the excess paper creates white edges on said paper.  as I've learned from other papercrafters, I knew I could take ink pads and run them over the edges to cover up the exposed white areas created by cutting the paper.  well, I don't have many colors to choose from to begin with (how stupid am I; "I think I'll only buy colors I actually like because I'll never use any other colors!"  WRONG.  I bought 3 new colors today Grin ).  I have some dye inks for just stamping, and some pigment inks for embossing.  I didn't have colors I wanted to use in dye ink, but I did have other colors I could use in pigment ink.  well...that was about 18 hours ago, and the ink STILL isn't dry in this Arizona weather.  will it ever dry?  and if so, can I speed it up with maybe a heat tool?  if they won't dry, then crap.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
dnelsong
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013 08:40:44 PM »

If the surface you used the pigment ink on was glossy (you mentioned slick), it may not.  From: http://www.mementoesintime.com/stampingbasics2.htm#ixzz2P5KL6CaQ: "Pigment ink can be very unsuccessful on glossy or coated card [stock] as it often wont dry. You can try heat setting it with a heat gun but the success of this will depend on the ink brand you are using. Some pigment inks will not dry at all on glossy cardstock, whereas others will dry if left a long time and others only dry when they are heat set."

You could try a heat gun, but that may not work.  You could sprinkle embossing powder onto it and then heat--but you may not want the surface embossed.

If all else fails, see if you can wipe/pull the pigment ink off and reapply a dye ink.

Hope it works out.

Debra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carolynsstampstore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013 05:54:38 AM »

Yes a lot of times when I have this problem I end up sort of blotting the stamped area with clean scrap paper and rubbing it with a burnishing tool of some kind and keep repeating with fresh clean paper until no residue is coming up any more. Ironing it with a piece of clean scrap paper on top may also help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013 06:43:30 PM »

those are some good tips, carolynsstampstore.  thanks for your input!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Chuckiegirl
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014 07:53:31 PM »

The owner of a stamp store told me: Dye is Dry and Pigment won't. I think that wiping the pigment off then heat setting the residue may work as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
How to Draw Dragons with Emily Gravett
Justin Bieber Made Out of Crayons
Locating Landscapes in Christ Art
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...