A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help on a pattern  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissVanDeKamp
« on: March 28, 2013 06:15:26 PM »

Hi!

I found this pattern http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00296&cat_id=318 that I want to do.

I understand all the pattern except one particular stitch.  And since it's at the beginning of the pattern, well I'm stuck with only my foundation chain...  Here it is:

Row 1 (WS) : Ch 67, ch 3 more (turning ch-3), beg in 4th ch from hook [pebble...

Pebble:
Dc in each of next 3 sts, [yo, insert hook from WS to RS around posts of last 3 dc made tog, yo, draw up a lp, yo, draw through 2 lps on hook] 3 times, yo, draw through all 4 lps on hook.

I don't understand how to do the part in red. Do I go around all 3 Dc when I go WS to RS? And are my 3 dc at the beginning supposed to be join together like in a popcorn stitch?  Or do I do this on each of the 3 Dc?

Can anyone help me understand this?

Thank you for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dingletwit
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013 07:37:54 PM »

It looks like they want you to work it like a BPDC but around all three DCs that you just completed. Insert the hook from the FAR (wrong, away from you) side and push it towards you, then on the other side of all three of the DCs push it back through. From there, just follow the directions (yo, draw up lp,...), which is pretty much just finishing up a DC.
Does that help? If not, I can put together a video for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissVanDeKamp
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013 10:36:50 AM »

I'm still not sure I understand.  I tried to do it but it seems I'm "going up" instead of following my foundation chain...  I would really appreciate a video or just a picture or two of how I should do it.  If it's not to complicated for you I would like that!

Thank you very much for you help! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013 07:31:04 PM »

Well - it's really hard to do a back post double crochet - or any back post stitch - when you don't have a row underneath to work from. So if this is the very first row I think you're supposed to go around all three of the dcs you just made, just as dingletwit said.

You're right, it would seem like you'd be going up; you'd definitely have a pretty tall stitch. But if the next part is another pebble then you'd make 3 more dcs in the foundation chain, then go back and do another BPDC, and that would keep you going in the right direction. And it's possible the stitches might just stretch out enough to not be going up anymore.

Even if the next stitch isn't a pebble - and from the picture it looks like the pebbles alternate with something else (something that isn't so solid) - you could still make those stitches in the foundation chain. I didn't download the pattern so I don't know for sure, but that's what I think is going on.

I hope that isn't too confusing, and I hope it helps. Good luck with this pattern; it does look really pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
MissVanDeKamp
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013 03:35:08 PM »

thanks!  I'll try it and let you know how it turned out.  Hopefully it will look like the picture in of the pattern...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dingletwit
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013 07:50:53 PM »

I started working on this and taking pictures, but I got really frustrated because, as kimadagem said, it's pretty hard to do a back-post anything when there isn't a completed row. I noticed what you meant about "building up," but I think if you persevere that it will carry on down the row rather than getting any taller. I think that, if this were my project, I would have tried to find a different stitch with a similar size and appearance rather than working with this monster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter Recipe
How to Make Fried Eggs
How to Make Poached Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Kd 101: How to Make Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Making Steak Seasoning at a Texas Ranch Steakhouse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...