A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with yarn selection  (Read 472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cobweb99
« on: March 31, 2013 04:56:47 PM »

I want to crochet some curtains for my house, but I must confess that I have hardly ever used anything but Redheart Super Saver skeins!  I've made zillions of afghans and bedspreads but nothing else.  I feel that curtains may need a lighter yarn or cotton thread.  I was inspired by Babukatorium, of course, and here is the picture that made up my mind:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394053.0#axzz2PA8CcVHO  I also just got this book :  http://www.amazon.com/Granny-Square-Book-Techniques-Crocheting/dp/1589236386  I'm a complete granny square addict.  

So, I'd be glad of any recommendations of yarn and hook sizes.  I thought about doing them in filet crochet but I really love a lot of color.  I would love to do them in granny squares.  Going to the store and looking at yarn is not really an option for me right now, and I do all my shopping online, so brand names you know and love that are not too expensive would be great Smiley

Edit: I forgot to say that I live in Florida.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013 04:58:32 PM by Cobweb99 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013 08:54:54 AM »

Ooooooh, yeah, living up to Babukatorium's precedents is a REALLY tough thing to do.

That being said, how insane do you want to go? Tongue You could use crochet thread, like #10, and a 2 mm hook, or you could use doubleknit and a 3.5 mm hook, right up to worsted with a 4.5 mm hook. Mostly, it'll just be a matter of testing out tension/hook/yarn weight/stitch number to find the right combination to fit your window.

I <3 worsted weight yarn. Paton's Canadiana is a glossy acrylic worsted if you want a lot of sheen. For most things though, I buy Phentex Merit (acrylic worsted, soft with a more matte texture) or the comparable Bernat Super Value (acrylic worsted, matte texture). I can't be of much help in the lighter weight yarns, because yarn made for socks isn't necessarily the best yarn for curtains.

Also, thrift stores. I know Florida isn't exactly yarn-central, but I've had fantastic luck getting balls of random leftover yarn at thrift shops for cheap. Considering your granny square angle, might be the way to go. You could also note in your Craftster signature that you would like to do personal swaps for other people's leftover yarn in the weight you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cobweb99
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013 06:30:21 PM »

I thought worsted would be too heavy, but you are quite right, it is working great!  I got some Final Fantasy sprite charts from spritestitch.com and am crocheting up some panels to sew together and they look pretty good so far, and in double stitch aren't heavy at all. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013 08:11:28 AM »

YAY! Glad to hear that Cheesy Teehee, FF sprite curtains! Don't forget to show them off when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Penelope Cruz Makes Directing Debut in Lingerie Film
How to Wear All White For Everything From Work to a Night Out!
Avril Lavigne Dishes on Black Wedding Dress
Style Diaries: Lily Collins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...