A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting Featured Member--Waggonswest  (Read 3855 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2013 01:40:22 PM »

Our newest Quilting Featured Member is Charlene, aka waggonswest!

Charlene is an FOC and has been a member of Craftster since 2007. She's a prolific contributor to the Quilting board and to our Quiltalong.

Her Time Enough for Love quilt is one of my favorites that she's posted recently.

Q: How long have you been quilting?

A: Not too long ago I came across a little four patch hand-stitched to a piece of felt I had made as a kid visiting my grandmother. I had forgotten all about it.  Given that I am old enough to forget, I guess I have been quilting a long time. 

Q: When did you start quilting?

A:  My grandmother quilted and I always picked fabrics for her.  My husband and I started quilting after she passed away.  Those first projects were tied.  In my family they are called comforters because they werent stitched together and were made for utility.  I really started quilting about five years ago and it was my first Craftster swap that got me hooked on art quilts and hand stitching. 

Q: Whats your favorite part of the quilting process?

A: I love fabrics and colors.  I love putting the fabrics together and coming up with a pattern that makes them come alive.  Stash building.  That is my favorite part. 

Except, for sketching and designing, figuring out how to make what the fabric wants.  That is definitely my favorite part. 

But then, seeing the first blocks or pieces come together is so exciting.  I think that I love that the best.  Definitely.  Seeing the piece take shape.  That is the absolute best part.

Until it is time to quilt.  There is something very wonderful about stitching a design, either by machine or by hand.  Giving the piece its three dimensional aspect.  Figuring out how to place stitches to optimize the design.  I love the quilting process.  Yep.  That is it.

And yet, what can beat the feeling you get when you take the last stitch in the binding and the quilt is done?

I guess I love it all, except for repetitive piecing and basting. 

Q: Whats your quilting philosophy?

A: Finish it up and move on, Dearie!  I know, I tell this story all the time, but I think it is important.  The first time I asked for help at my LQS I had a project with issues.  The lady at the shop explained to me how to do it right.  When I asked if I should rip it out she said, No.  Finish it up and move on, Dearie.  Learn from this one.  Do better on the next time and keep on going."   She truly understood that it is the process and the learning that are important, that less than perfect is good enough.  More importantly, she understood that perfection is not necessary for satisfaction. 

Q: Whats your favorite sewing/quilting tip?

A: Spray baste.  Oh wait, saying that gets me in trouble every time.  But seriously, I would totally stall out if I had to pin or stitch my quilts together before quilting. 

Q: Do you have a favorite type/pattern of fabric and/or fabric designer?

A: Not really.  I know what I like.  I buy the fabric that speaks to me.  Rarely does talking fabric track with a line, designer or collection.  I am, however, collecting bits of Kaffe Fassett when I find it, but I have a plan for that.  Those fabrics have spoken and they mostly want more company.

Q: Do you have a favorite notion/tool you couldnt quilt without?

A: I have a rotary cutter that is attached to a 6.5 x 26 inch ruler.  I cant cut fabric without it.  I also have a special ruler that is designed to square up half square triangles.  That has made life simpler.  My son designed and printed (on his 3D printer) a little gizmo to clip apart chain piecing.  When I need it, it is the best. 

Q: What part of the quilting process do you dislike the most or find the most difficult?

A: Precision sewing is very hard for me.  I am working on it.  I am practicing patience.  I am learning to love my seam ripper.  But it is HARD.

Q: Do you belong to any guilds or sewing groups? Tell us about those if you do.

A: I participate in three different quilting groups. 

I am a member of the St. Louis Modern Quilters Guild.  I dont get to go to as many of the meetings as I would like but I really enjoy them.  I particularly like the challenges, swaps and sharing.  It is so exciting to see the projects everyone is working on.  It is also way cool when someone pops up with THE ACTUAL quilt they made for their latest Moda Bakeshop pattern.  The winner of the Madrona Road challenge is in my guild and so I saw that one in person.  Stunning.

I am sporadically able to visit with the Crossroads Quilters.  I am one of the younger participants.  These ladies are experts!  I can take whatever problem quilt I have to them.  They have been there, done that.  They tend to be traditional quilters but they certainly do some wild stuff.   These are the folks who introduced me to the Alzheimers Art Quilt project. 

I also stitch with a group of friends.  I am the oldest in this group of young women.  Most of them have small children and limited time.  We gather to sew when we can.  Sometimes we choose a pattern and all make a quilt from it.  It is fascinating to see how different they can turn out.  This is much more of a social gathering where we stitch together our lives as we stitch together our quilts. 

Q: Whats your favorite quilting project youve posted on Craftster?

A:  My favorite quilt is the next one I am going to make.   Oh wait.  I havent posted that on Craftster yet
Then it has to be the one I just finished.  Oops, I havent posted it yet either.

Probably the one that is most meaningful is the one called Square Roots.  It is a nod to modern design using vintage fabric from my grandmothers stash. 

Q: Whats your favorite quilting project someone else has posted on Craftster? (Including link)

A: Did you know that there have been over 4000 quilts posted on the quilting board in Craftster? 
There are so many that stand out choosing one is almost impossible.  There are the traditional ones that I admire for the quilters patience and skill.  There are the creative ones, the artistic ones, the ones that make me go, WOW, and the ones that make me go, Huh?

I love them all.  It is impossible to choose just one, so I will go with the first one put on my favorite project-by-others list.  It is the by SimplySandy

Q: Whats your favorite non-quilting project youve posted on Craftster?

A: Probably [url=http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340723.0]my chickens.

Q: Whats your favorite non-quilting project someone else has posted on Craftster?

A: Anything by Rackycoo, Phizzychick or Microjivvy.  I love the altered and the miniature. 
And Lesliehappyheart.  Her work is amazing.  Anddid you know there are 287,811 members on Craftster?   ( Multiply that by 50 projects per year!)

Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in Craftster.  It is an amazing global, creative community.  The support and sharing here are unbelievable.  Since joining, I have been inspired to produce more creative projects than ever before.  More importantly, it has enabled me to document my work.  It has been interesting looking at the projects Ive made over the past nine years and how my crafting has changed over time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013 01:51:32 PM »

She does incredible quilting, and I admit I am crazy about her chickens, too! The bold ones are my favorite. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013 07:56:13 PM »

I am a big fan of this generous and talented woman!!!!

The number of quilts and other projects you make is phenomenal!  My smiles start as soon as I see your name with another beautiful quilt....I am glad you are on Craftster...it has been a pleasure reading your stories and your encouragement and sense of humor has made it fun for so many of us!

Congrats on being featured...and I think your son needs to share his clip apart piecing tool! Sad Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013 01:02:49 AM »

One of the queens of quilting, that is what you are!

Congratulations! I love your quilts, am in awe of your talent and how fast you finish your quilts!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us, I love seeing it and it inspires me to try and make me one  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013 03:06:31 AM »

I love reading about waggonswest; I follow her blog and she always has something interesting going on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013 05:42:01 AM »

I forgot to mention that her embroidered badges are so fun and unique!  And, she can keep a secret...grrr! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
waggonswest

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013 11:29:08 AM »

Thank you all.  

This is the chain piecing cutter apart thingy boy blacksmith made for me.  It is basically a razor blade holder that protects the fingers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013 11:34:34 AM by waggonswest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
carolmb

50 Projects 2014 List total 9/24

Making things, makes life happy!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013 03:15:48 AM »

Congrats waggonswest!

love your crafts, check out your blog from time to time, just to see what you might be making.

well and wonderment
carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013 08:30:04 PM »

Ooh I love those pillows!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OregonPatchWorks
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013 03:20:43 AM »

I'm impressed, it's really nice. she does astonishing quilting in no time.... I am huge fan of your quilting ideas and witty stories. I am really glad that you are finally on craftster. Keep it up!! I am looking forward to more unique ideas and stories.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set ISO Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Format Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Flash Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Delete Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...