A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pirate/island themed living room?  (Read 6246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aeroplane
« on: March 26, 2004 06:18:56 PM »

well, this alice in wonderland thread (http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=41;action=display;threadid=3636) has been going so well, i thought i'd throw mine out there too.

i'm moving soon and decided to have an actual "theme" to my living room.  i love the skull and crossbones icon, sailor jerry flash, pirate stuff and island themed anything.  these are things i am going to do:

a rum bottle lamp like in divasteph's tutorial.  i'm going to make it out of a sailor jerry rum bottle.  any ideas for a cool looking lamp shade?

tattoo flash pillows for my sofa.  i have awesome fabric from reprodepot.  

i have hula, flamingo, and palm tree christmas lights, plus cheap sea creature wall hangings and a big cardboard palm tree

skull and crossbones flag i don't have one yet, but it just HAS to go, doesn't it?

a treasure chest not sure totally how to go about this one.  i used to have a small one as a kid, don't know if i can dig it up.  i'm sure i could just paint/decorate some type of box.

other ideas
we sell islandy palm tree and water shower curtains at target (where i work).  can anyone think of a good use for this besides as a shower curtain?  the only other thing i could think of was just hanging it on the wall, which i think
may look way cheesy.  

any ideas for floor covering?  the carpet is white and we destroy white.  all my roomate and i could think of was tatami mats, because they're cheap, but that's not too island/piratey.

ideas for drapes?  (hmm... maybe a shower curtain as a drape..?  nah...)

if anyone thinks something would look good in a room themed like this, shout it out!  i'd love to hear some great crafty ideas.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004 06:23:55 PM by aeroplane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetStarling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004 06:38:29 PM »

You could use the shower curtains as partitions, if you wanted a book nook or a pillow nook or pretty much any sort of nook  Wink

I saw a cool desk in a magazine, its top part opens up and the lid is glass, inside the top they put sand and seashells.  

You could also buy or build shallow rectangular boxes and fill them with sand and shells and place them along the walls.

Oh! and one last thing, there was a profile of this really cool bedroom in a mag I read, and what the girl had done was build up the floors of the room so that her bead was even with the floor, but she left a square hole sorta, near one of her windows and it was this cool sunken space to hang out in.  Maybe you could do something like that, but in the sunken space you can fill it with sand and it could be a mini beach getaway.  

Hope that helps  Smiley, if the last part didn't make sense, feel free to PM me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeroplane
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004 07:23:00 PM »

actually sweetstarling, the house we want to rent is from the 70s and has a half wall between the living room and family room with kind of sunken boxes built into it (hard to explain) that the previous owners had put decorative marbles in... i was just going to set potted plants there, but sand and shells is an awesome idea!  i already have tons of shells.  i love it.  the little sunken sand area is cool too, if only i weren't renting and on a budget Cheesy thanks for your great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seltsam

I am bunnycore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004 07:22:14 AM »

what about bamboo?

there is nice stuff and so many sizes..
and its so pretty

you could buy mats for sun-blinds.
or big pipes for example to cover your bedstead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004 06:40:04 PM »

you could staple the shower curtain to a canvas or piece of cardboard and put it on the wall as a piece of art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sansconformist
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004 07:17:43 PM »

if you need to cover up the carpet, you could try using wonder under or something to attach a large pirate flag onto a cheap area rug. that would be pretty keen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004 11:02:43 AM »

Oooh this is too cool. I have a few ideas...

skull and crossbones flag i don't have one yet, but it just HAS to go, doesn't it?
For a twist - a smiley face and crossbones. My son has a hat that we got for him in the Virgin Islands that has a smiley face with a toothy grin and cross bones - it's way too cute.

a treasure chest not sure totally how to go about this one.  i used to have a small one as a kid, don't know if i can dig it up.  i'm sure i could just paint/decorate some type of box.
Maybe use this as your coffee table? You could probably cover and/or paint and inexpensive footlocker (like this one) as a treasure chest - then use it as a coffee table with the added bonus of an additional storage space. If you use paint and one of those wood-graining tools you could get a neat wood effect - then keep the brass corners, handle and lock to give it the treasure chest feel.

other ideas
we sell islandy palm tree and water shower curtains at target (where i work).  can anyone think of a good use for this besides as a shower curtain?  the only other thing i could think of was just hanging it on the wall, which i think may look way cheesy... ideas for drapes?  (hmm... maybe a shower curtain as a drape..?  nah...)
I've used shower curtains as drapes and a tension shower curtain rod. The tension rod lets you have a curtain rod without putting any additional holes in the wall. If you are opposed to the shower curtain idea, I think that bamboo roller shades would look good.

any ideas for floor covering?  the carpet is white and we destroy white.  all my roomate and i could think of was tatami mats, because they're cheap, but that's not too island/piratey.
The tatami mats could be piratey if you painted a treasure map with black acrylic paint on it complete with a giant "X marks the spot."

Other ideas... Fishing net could make a great accent in places. You can usually find fishing net in the party supply stores pretty cheap. Use it as a giant wall hanging and attach photos to the net rather than the wall - less holes in the wall (always a concern if you're renting). It would also be a cool throw over the arm of a couch or chair. Big deep shells make nice candle holders. Archie McPhee has some great inexpensive Tiki accessories that would probably fit in nicely too. Cheap shiney Mardi Gras beads in bowls or here and there could be a nice accent as some of the "treasure" and/or the chocolate wrapped like gold coins. I'd also add a Pirates of the Carribean movie poster too - Johnny Depp is just yummy and I wouldn't mind seeing that every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moobaa
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004 06:07:15 PM »

YO HO ME HEARTIES! I LOVE IT!

A pirate lounge room.........
You gotta think pirate essentials...

Treasure Chest - coffee table
Pirate Flag - Rug or Wall Hanging or Pin it to the ceiling or use as a couch cover (Amazon sell 1 with a red bandana on the skull)
Treasure Map - Huge artwork on the wall
Treasure - coffee table (divide 1 big box into heaps of little boxes &put stuff in em like jewels, sand, shells etc and then cover with a big bit of glass. get the idea?) Mini treasure chests (from craft stores) on the book shelves full of beads and old coins.
Ship Sails - Calico curtains with rope pull backs & make some danglies like what Johnny wears in his hair (big beads with coins on the end) to hang from the curtain rods.
Rum & a Hat - Rum bottle lamp with a pirate hat for the shade.
Cannon Balls - If you cant get real ones Make some clay or paper mache cannon balls to sit in the corner or on a shelf.
Sword - Every pirate has a sword, make 1 from wood or paper mache and paint it and hang it on the wall
Sand - Hemp or sea grass matting. or some sort of natural fibre flooring that has the colour of sand

Theres a few ideas that will hopefully give you some inspiration, given me inspiration i want a pirate lounge room now! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
aeroplane
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004 06:38:18 PM »

yay!  i love all these replies!  there's so many ideas and i want to do a lot of them!  thank you everyone for the inspiration.  i still have a few monthes before i move, but i'll definatly have all the ideas to work off of!
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilygrace
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004 09:48:01 AM »

Sounds great.  I'm planning a pirate bathroom (I'll post results when I actually get somewhere with it).  Here are a couple more ideas:

Floor covering: maybe make a floorcloth and paint with whatever theme you like.  Maybe a big ship, a jolly roger face (if you're not overloaded with them already), some palm trees, etc.  Basically anything you can paint.  

Wall decor: big ropes (a la Long John Silver's restaurants!), maybe some scabbards- i think that's what those big swords are called.  A birdcage with a fake parrot.  

Oriental Trading Co. also sells tons of cheap island-tropical-hula-etc. decor.  You can get grass skirts, etc. and cover any unsightly parts of the room.  

Your living room is going to be great- be sure to post pictures when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Half Double Crochet
How to Dry Apple Slices for Crafts
How to Ebonize Wood
How to Embroider a Towel
How to Embroider Pillows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...