A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone Vegan AND hypoglycemic?  (Read 2191 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellenade
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006 07:58:33 PM »

I'm so glad to see some folks pop up with responses Smiley

I too am a big fan of low GI eating--it's pretty much revolutionized how I look at food.  It helps me when I am trying to make good food choices, and helps me ration out my naughty food (I have the most intense sugar cravings!  It's nice to know I don't have to totally ignore them.).  Low GI eating helps you to know which foods are going to have the most intense effect on your blood sugar, so that you can balance your meals out for the purpose of eliminating blood sugar swings.  For me, it works really great in conjunction with eating frequently--my boss jokes that I eat lunch all day.

I haven't made the transition back to meat-free unfortunately--honestly I'm a little freaked out about it, but I am willing to try.  I also am currently living with my parents, who pay the food bill--so I am aiming for transitioning back to veggie eating once I'm on my own again!

PS: I am lactose intolerant too, haha Smiley 

I feel your pain with the lactose intolerance! I recently found out I am life intolerant (okay, so I exaggerate a little...)

After many years of bizarre undiagnosed and random ailments (migraines, weird aches, mouth ulcers, glandular swelling, bloating and other digestive things) I went to an allergy clinic and was told I have a chemical food intolerance - and react to pretty much everything - not too serious but very annoying. I think the worst culprits are dairy and gluten, but amines, salicylates, glutamate, soy is all bad! Gah!

I am currenlty taking the "ignore it and it may well go away" approach. A lot more fun than living on rice and celery Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchachaK
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006 04:20:14 PM »

That's funny ellenade Smiley

Back to the topic at hand...I have found the book Hypoglycemia for Dummies to be actually very helpful, if anyone is looking for reading and I think there's a section on veggie-ness.  I've got it sitting out on my coffee table right now because my dad has the same problem but refuses to manage his blood sugar which makes him really fun to deal with.  I'm hoping curiosity will get the better of him one of these days and compel him to read it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
raining_dreams
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006 04:45:37 PM »

Back to the topic at hand...I have found the book Hypoglycemia for Dummies to be actually very helpful, if anyone is looking for reading and I think there's a section on veggie-ness.  I've got it sitting out on my coffee table right now because my dad has the same problem but refuses to manage his blood sugar which makes him really fun to deal with.  I'm hoping curiosity will get the better of him one of these days and compel him to read it! 

Yet another book to add to my enormous list of books I should read  Cheesy Thanks for the recommend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
Trish Fantastic
My Clumsiest Line...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006 02:11:59 PM »

Although you made your original post way back I only just now saw it. I am hypoglycemic and have been vegan for 8 years. I found that the best thing for me was to try to completely cut out all refined sugar. I bake with maple syrup or fruit based sugars which dont affect my blood sugar as bad. As far as protein I dont have any problems as long as I eat some nuts or peanut butter in the morning to get me started and keep some nearby as a snack if I start to feel woozy. I generally eat alot of soy products and beans as well so those absolutely help. I read a fantastic book about how animal protein is actually not very good for blood sugar issues but of course I have no idea where it is right now so I cant give you the name. Also to the girl that made the comment way earlier about the smoothie diet, be very careful, large quantities of fruit especially in liquid or near liquid form can be very harmful to your body if you cannot process sugars properly. Its ok to have one now and then but I definitely wouldnt have one every day.

Also, just to note, when I was first diagnosed my doctor tried to tell me that the best thing for me was to start eating meat again, after some serious frustration I finally tried because nothing was working. I should note that I was still eating sugar because my ignorant doctor told me that when I felt sick I should just eat a candy bar. Meat made me much more sick and I never felt better until I went vegan again and cut out the sugar completely for awhile. Just beware sugar withdrawals are NOT FUN, but they do pass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my4kidz
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006 01:15:42 PM »

I haven't read through all the comments yet so if this has been said already I apolagize My Daughter has had hypoglycemia for 8 years. Her blood sugar has droped down as low as 10 and sliped into a semi dibetic coma for 3 days  So as a result I have study nutrition and the efects difrent foods have on her.
To be honest I do not think she would be able to survive on a true vegen diet even on a veggie diet it would be tough because some veggies are considered a starch and not a veggie when putting together a meal plan for restricted diets (such as peas and corn) and other veggies turn into sugar (such as tommato and carrots) so these need to be eaten in small measured qunites.
I'm not sure  what your meal plan is or what your restrictions are but if I was to try to calculate a vegen meal for my daughter these are the things I would have to include
for dinner
2 starches (15 carbs for each)
1 veggie (half a cup)
3 oz of protein
1 fat (because my daughter still eats meat I ussally count here protein serving as her fat serving)

If your mealplan looks something like this sit down with it and a vegen cookbook and also a nutritinal guide book (a book that has tables for nutrional values of foods)
go through the cook book and compare it to your meal plan and the nutritional guide to see if you could fit it in without efecting your blood sugar
If you do decided to try a vegen diet, make sure you check your blood sugar often and consult your doctor and/or your diet educator (if you have one)
I think with the proper planing, BS testing and determnation yous should be able to come up with a plan that will alow you to eat the way you want but please make sure to check with your doctor before changing your diet
I this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006 04:16:56 AM »

Ah, my peeps.  I've been veggie for going on 10 or so years, and have always turned into a "Monster" (to quote my mother) if I didn't eat.  I finally put the name hypoglycemia to it, which my father also has.  Then in college, I figured out that if I switched to soy in the morning instead of cow, I could make it through my first class without 2 hours worth of nausea.  I am a self-diagnosed hypoglycemic lactard. 

I constantly struggle with keeping myself full.  Mainly, it's about protein and some healthy fat.  Otherwise, I just don't think I'm getting enough calories from carbs.  My favorite fill-me-up snack is vanilla yogurt (go soy if you like; I can now tolerate some dairy yogurt) with a chopped banana and a generous dollop of peanut butter.  The awesome flavors aside, it fills me up and is, I think, a pretty balanced snack.  I also partake of a sliced apple with peanut butter as a quick "OhnoI'moutofbananas" snack. 

Definitely snack on nuts.  Soynuts (which are of course legumes) also are good.  Another good snack -- cheese.  I buy individual servings of cracker barrel of bonbel or string cheese and grab one.  The protein is great, and goodness knows I probably need the calcium.  Cabot cheddar (and a lot of other Cabot cheeses) are LACTOSE-FREE and they also make single-servings.  If they're not available in your part of the world, you can actually order them from Cabot.  For Hanukkah last year, my mother bought ONE HUNDRED single servings of Cabot extra sharp white cheddar.  It lasted for months and was the greatest little snack.

http://www.cabotcheese.com/
http://www.seacrestfoods.com/cheese/descriptions/usbabybel.html
I also find that eating a cereal with the first ingredient of wheat or oats fills me up longer than a corn or rice based cereal.  I'm on a Cheerios/Smart Start kick right now, and it really holds me over.  The more whole grain, too, the better.  I know it's roughly based on the GI index, but I haven't sat down to figure it out scientifically. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Hmmm...what else?  Ah, one more thing.  In the summer, I, too, love the smoothies.  I put juice, whole fruit (frozen & fresh), and some sorbet into a blender (No need to add sugar or ice).  Adding yogurt to this enhances the filling qualities, though I find that just nursing a tall smoothie for a long time is a good mid-afternoon pick-me-up.   

I know I've gone on for a while, and I still don't have all the answers.  I'm looking for more ways to incorporate more beans into my diet, but DH doesn't like them (his GI is unhappy with beans), so I haven't put much effort into that cause.  Any ideas?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Digital Camera Functions
The Role of a Digital Camera Memory Card
Understanding the Mega Pixel
How to Prepare Your Digital Camera for Use
How to Care for Your Digital Camera
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...