A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone Vegan AND hypoglycemic?  (Read 2198 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

muchachaK
« on: July 05, 2005 05:44:54 PM »

So I'm hypoglycemic, which basically means I have chronically low blood sugar--sort of the opposite of being diabetic but with some very similar dietary needs.  (I can't really eat a lot of carbs,  gotta eat about every 2 hours--and that's when eating nototriously slow burning meat-- protein is really important just to keep me on a even keel and I burn through veggies like nobody's business.)  But IDEALLY I would like to be vegetarian if not vegan.  I was veggie for 7 years but it wreaked extreme havoc on my body and sanity.

Any suggestions from those who may have been there?  I really love tofu and other meat substitutes but it is difficult finding ones that keep me from having to eat every darn 20 minutes Wink

There's gotta be a way!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006 10:18:22 AM »

Hey howdy! I was going through the boards and I saw this thread. I am also vegeterian and I found out that Ive got hypoglycemia (and its very difficult to control) about 6 months ago. I was wondering if you had found out any tips?
Mine are whole grains, timed meals with out so much as a 5 minute deviation (7am, 10 am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and 10pm), and lots of fruit for a kick. I also constantally stash luna bars in my purse for a protein kick. Watch out though because on the Pria 100 calorie bars there is fish oil in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
raining_dreams
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 10:47:49 AM »

I am hypoglycemic as well as Vegetarian/Vegan.
 To keep yourself full, I have noticed that eating raw (roasted everyone once in a while) nuts keeps me full. They are very high in protein, and take longer to burn off than other foods. To keep myself full I also eat rice and beans a lot- A small amount of BROWN rice, with a larger serving of beans. While it is high in carbs, they make a full protein which is great. Drinking protein shakes in the morning is also very helpful. I have to drink one with whey (which sucks becuase I'm also lactose intolerant  Roll Eyes), but you can find Vegan if you prefer. Check to make sure that the carbs are no more than twice the amount of protein! My herbal doctor told me to try to avoid foods that have more than twice the carbs to protein. If you do eat carbs or sugar, drink protein shakes.
 Fruit with some sort of nut butter is pretty filling. Hummus is also delicious with veggies or low carb crackers. Lentil soup is another very high protein, filling option.

Oops, I was rambling... Sorry  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
retroeva

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 11:29:22 AM »

Im slowly (er rapidly) growing into a smoothie addict! At kroger in the frozen food section they have a smoothie blend with frozen strawberries, mango, and pineapple. Its so good! I ad a pinch of splenda and a little water (I dont like creamy smoothies so no yogurt or soy milk for me) and its great. I got a lot of ideas from the "favirote smoothie" thread too.

I wont say I dont eat any sugary sweets though I try my hardest not to. Ive noticed that if I eat my meals timed throughout the day and I dont eat cookies and donuts, I feel so much better (genius moment, ya know? Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 11:56:00 AM »

Let me pop in here too!

A few years ago when I was still veggie-like, and hypoglycemic, I used to do the same as raining_dreams. I carried nuts with me everywhere and really felt that they would hold me over for much longer than most other "snacks" - they were especially helpful when I felt myself getting lightheaded!
I learned the trick from a 60 something year old diabetic too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
ellenade
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006 08:33:06 PM »

I am hypoglycemic as well as Vegetarian/Vegan.
 To keep yourself full, I have noticed that eating raw (roasted everyone once in a while) nuts keeps me full. They are very high in protein, and take longer to burn off than other foods. To keep myself full I also eat rice and beans a lot- A small amount of BROWN rice, with a larger serving of beans. While it is high in carbs, they make a full protein which is great. Drinking protein shakes in the morning is also very helpful. I have to drink one with whey (which sucks becuase I'm also lactose intolerant  Roll Eyes), but you can find Vegan if you prefer. Check to make sure that the carbs are no more than twice the amount of protein! My herbal doctor told me to try to avoid foods that have more than twice the carbs to protein. If you do eat carbs or sugar, drink protein shakes.
 Fruit with some sort of nut butter is pretty filling. Hummus is also delicious with veggies or low carb crackers. Lentil soup is another very high protein, filling option.

Oops, I was rambling... Sorry  Roll Eyes

yep, me too! I guess its pretty common among veggies cause we're often not as good with our protein as we should be? I dont know if you've heard of "low gi" eating - it's becoming pretty popular here. Basically, it's the glycemic index of a food - which describes how it interacts with your blood glucose:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

If you eat enough eggs/tofu/nuts/beans, and learn how to combine proteins, you'll find it more manageable.

I get migraines when I miss meals, so make sure you dont forget to snack! They say that frequent small meals are healthier anyway =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006 07:39:00 AM »

They really are! Just by eating 6 meals a day and taking my dog on a walk every once in a while instead of letting him loose in our back yard, I lost 10 lbs last month!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellenade
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006 03:47:14 PM »

They really are! Just by eating 6 meals a day and taking my dog on a walk every once in a while instead of letting him loose in our back yard, I lost 10 lbs last month!

haha I am a metric girl, so am not sure how much that is, but ten of anything sounds impressive! congrats Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006 04:45:11 PM »

According to Google, it is 4,535.9237 grams. Yeah. That looks more impressive than 10lbs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchachaK
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006 06:04:47 PM »

I'm so glad to see some folks pop up with responses Smiley

I too am a big fan of low GI eating--it's pretty much revolutionized how I look at food.  It helps me when I am trying to make good food choices, and helps me ration out my naughty food (I have the most intense sugar cravings!  It's nice to know I don't have to totally ignore them.).  Low GI eating helps you to know which foods are going to have the most intense effect on your blood sugar, so that you can balance your meals out for the purpose of eliminating blood sugar swings.  For me, it works really great in conjunction with eating frequently--my boss jokes that I eat lunch all day.

I haven't made the transition back to meat-free unfortunately--honestly I'm a little freaked out about it, but I am willing to try.  I also am currently living with my parents, who pay the food bill--so I am aiming for transitioning back to veggie eating once I'm on my own again!

PS: I am lactose intolerant too, haha Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 3/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 19/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 17/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 18/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 20/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...