A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cristen's Potion Cabinet  (Read 1839 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , miniature , potion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 26, 2013 12:01:00 PM »

I bought a Coffee Break Designs Baroque Door Shrine Kit last summer from a local art supplies store (though you can get it online here: http://www.retrocafeart.com/item_2088/Baroque-Door-Shrine-Kit--ATC-Sized.htm  ).  The inside is ATC sized, which is 2.5" wide by 3.5" tall.  I put it together and then its just been sitting around awaiting the perfect project.  That moment finally arrived when I partnered up with the amazing chughes225 in the IYP swap.  We are both huge HP fans, so I knew this little baby needed to transform into a potions cabinet for her. 

First off I painted the outside with some Tim Holtz crackle paint.  I didn't sand it prior to painting, so most of it just flaked off.  So I sanded most of that paint off, but the end result was a very weathered and wonderful look.  So, it was a fortunate mistake.  ^_^  I took my little dremel and put some dings and dents into the wood, to further weather it.  I also sanded all the edges.  On the front I put some gold rub n' buff on the door and glued on a vintage button for a knob.  On the top I painted on the dots with gold paint and then glued on the two wing charms and a painted fabric button to look like a snitch.  On the side I painted a picture of Dumbledore w/ acrylic paints.  On the other side, I etched in the Deathly Hollows symbol.  It didn't turn out the best, though.  On the back I glued on a metal frame.  On top are some cut up birthday candles that I lit and glued.  And the wand is a tooth pick that I shaped with my mini dremel and painted.

For the inside, I got some basal wood sheets that were the perfect depth for shelves for the cabinet.  I cut those to size, painted them and put a vintagy design black paper on top of each and glued them in.  I also cut out another piece of paper and glued it to the inside of the door.

The top shelf has potion bottles that I made from various beads from my collection.  The red stone at the very end is suppose to be the Soccer's Stone. 

This shelf has some skull beads, a couple bullet casings as cups, two bottles filled with spices and embossing powder, some rolled up HP book pages for scrolls, and a tiny feather with a black painted end for a quill.  (The quill is probably one of my favorite things in there!  Somehow I found the perfect tiny feather in my stash.)

The bottom row has a few more bead potion bottles.  In the back, though its hard to see, is a moon charm with an amethyst stone sitting in it.  There is another stone for a crystal and some books I made out of paper.

I've always wanted to make something like this and it was so much fun to do so!  I really didn't even buy much for it, either, which was awesome!  My friends and family were sad to see it go, but I'm glad it is with chughes225.  Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013 12:04:39 PM »

Absolutely amazing. You can tell you loved working on this! I love the shot of the candle burning on top! And Dumbledore is fantastic on the side. I love the quill and the tiny bead bottle too. The entire this is awe inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013 12:17:26 PM »

Oh my I have no words for how wonderful this is!!!! The detail is just fabulous.  Pinning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013 12:31:18 PM »

This is adorable!  Look at all the tiny details in there!   I think the quill is my favorite item, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chughes225
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013 12:55:37 PM »

I absolutely love it! I have it on display with all my other hp stuff and it fits perfectly.  Thanks again for making it for me. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013 02:56:43 PM »

Jillybeans, this is really lovely- I especially like the candles on top and that you included some skulls! And I think using beads for bottles is a brilliant idea Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013 05:27:10 PM »

Great job, jilly! You included so many wonderful details. Your painting of Dumbledore is excellent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
kayceejoy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013 06:49:35 PM »

Shocked That's awesome! You never cease to amaze me, Sisty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013 10:00:07 AM »

Ooh, how wonderful! So many little details to look at!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Lose a Stitch Properly
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Form a Knitting Group
How to Create Scented Candles
How to Create a Paper CD Case
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...