A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making spine titles for leatherette photo albums. Any ideas?  (Read 540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sputnikki
« on: March 25, 2013 09:18:15 AM »

Hi! I'm brand new to this site. Hope I've picked the right category...

I have a bunch of leatherette photo albums of family photos that sit on a shelf with the spines facing out. I'd like to add individual titles to the spines (like, "1996-98 Vacation in Spain, Jenn's Wedding..." etc). Any suggestions on materials and adhesives to use? I'm not the hand-lettering type; I'm looking for a clean, modern look that's simple to make and easy to read. For example, I'd love to be able to type the titles on the computer, print them out on some sort of cool paper(?), but then what? That's about as far as I've gotten. Any suggestions for taking that idea further or a better idea entirely? The spines are almost 2" wide. Thanks in advance for your brainpower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dnelsong
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013 10:03:37 AM »

I love label makers.  I think they'd suit your purpose for this task (you can get different types of tapes--clear, colored), but a label maker can come in handier than you might have thought.  Everyone I know who takes the plunge (they seem like a luxury) ends up saying they love them and are glad for the purchase.  Debra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Choose a Planet
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013 02:33:09 PM »

You could probably print them out yourself using some nice paper (depending on your printer), if your printer can't handle that sort of paper you can probably take it to a professional copy shop. I'm not sure what type of paper to suggest, I guess that depends on the look you're going for -- but I suggest something thicker and more resistant, and probably not off-white but maybe ivory or very light cream. I don't know where you live but sometimes local paper shops have a good selection of paper types, especially for business cards. If you're looking for nice fonts, there's dafont.com and 1001fonts.com Smiley

As to adhesives, you could use some a very light adhesive paper over the label, or use some glue adapted to the material you're using if you don't want it to look glossy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013 06:55:23 PM »

Because the albums are leatherette (ie. vinyl), you have to be careful about any sort of tape or self-adhesive label, because they almost always react badly with the vinyl and turn into a mess. Maybe not right away, but quite likely after a few years. The problem is, though, most other glues don't adhere to vinyl either. There are special glues, but they're toxic, messy and will soak through paper or other absorbent materials.  Tongue

That being said, I've never had any problem with modern label-maker labels. (The old embossed ones were notoriously awful on vinyl.) I use a Brother P-Touch at work and they seem to stick well to everything including vinyl.

My own choice for this would be to find suitable metal label frames (something like these from Alpha Stamps) and fasten them on with small brads, rivets or screws into the spine of the album. It's probably a heavy pasteboard and would take a fastener fairly well. Then you can print out your labels onto attractive cardstock, cut them to size, and slip them into the frames. Easy to change later too, if you need to.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stir-Fry 101
How to Make Miso Glazed Rockfish
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Ginger-Scallion Chicken Wings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...