A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two not-a-crab hats  (Read 285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

I can have a dark side too!

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2013 05:27:46 AM »

Hello all,

So I found a pattern in Mollie Makes (website: http://www.molliemakes.com/ although I'm not sure if the pattern will be available there) for a knitted crab cloche hat, which was part of a promotion for this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Hats-Projects-Crochet-Fleece/dp/0857831488/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364126077&sr=1-2.  So I got some wool (Mirasol Alpacana) and made the hat and the claws (after several attempts) and looked out some buttons for eyes.

Looks good, doesn't it.  Not if you put it on your head, though.  I could not, for the life of me, find a way to attach the claws so that they didn't look like odd ear flaps.  Also, over the time I was knitting it, I'd somewhat gone off the idea of animal hats, so I just wore it as a normal hat,

(Please excuse the face, it seems I can't smile and take a photo at the same time).  This one shows the colour better.

This was also my first time using DPNs or making decreases.  The decreases were fine, the DPNs I have now got used to, but at the time I found them so awkward.  I have 2 pieces of advice for anyone using them for the first time; 1. it'll get easier, honestly and 2. buy wooden ones - I tend to push the stitches up the needle by pushing one end of the needle against my body, and the ends of the metal ones are a lot sharper.

I realised that this hat manages to cover BOTH my ears when I'm wearing it (I have a few hats that only seem able to cover one ear at a time which is well annoying), so I decided to make another one.

Ears covered and cosy.  This ones in Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk, which is a lovely yarn that my brother got me for Christmas.

And just to show off my stitching 'cause I'm so proud of how neat it looks Smiley

Thanks for reading my rambles.  C & C welcome and actively encouraged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arctic Char Filet with Citrus Sauce
Burgundy Beef Stew
How to Make Sausage at Home
Buttermilk Corn Bread
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...