A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

therednine
« on: March 23, 2013 10:03:15 PM »

Hey all, I was knitting a 2x2 rib hat in the round, and no matter what I seemed to do, it's on an angle.
I'm almost at my wits end with figuring out what the reason is, and I've exhausted my searching options. Not even sure what terms I should be looking for, if I'm honest :///

It's so crooked....
I just want to fold up the brim and have it look decent.

What am I doing wrong? is it something when I join in the round?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make underpants, and other things :B
http://etsy.com/shop/therednine
stARpottery

Pottery. Knit. Crochet. Spin. Weave. Bobbin Lace.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013 08:24:56 AM »

can you post a larger, clearer close up photo of the stitches? I would love to help (and am very curious to see what causes this) but I can't see any detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zylo
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013 02:23:47 PM »

I wonder if maybe your decreases are causing the stitches to "travel", making it look swirled. It's actually a pretty cool look though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
therednine
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013 06:42:07 PM »

can you post a larger, clearer close up photo of the stitches? I would love to help (and am very curious to see what causes this) but I can't see any detail.

Is this large enough?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

therednine
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013 06:44:53 PM »

I wonder if maybe your decreases are causing the stitches to "travel", making it look swirled. It's actually a pretty cool look though.

I like the look of it, too, but it wasn't what I was going for, hehe.
I'm not sure how the decreases would make the entire thing look swirled, though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013 08:58:52 AM »

Are you using a circular needle or dpns?

Are you using the same decrease? ie ssk or k2t?

I use dpns and alternate the two decreases at the ends of each needle to keep the ribs straight...

What pattern does your decreases create at the top of the hat? Is it a star pattern, and is it even?

maybe you could show a pic of the top of the hat

Your decrease rows do not seem to be even, so the ribs would pull to one side--personally, I like the swirls, but if you are going for straight ribs, maybe we can help! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013 08:41:06 AM »

I think your stitches are twisted, which can cause it to bias, and would make the k2tog lean to the left. Knit the sts in the leg closest to the tip of the needle, and for the decs, you would probably have to do ssk instead of k2tog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
stARpottery

Pottery. Knit. Crochet. Spin. Weave. Bobbin Lace.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013 07:05:26 PM »

I think soozeq has it right. You are twisting your knit stitches, and possibly your purl stitches too, but that's hard to determine from the purl side of the stitch (in other words, I need to see it inside out to tell you). There are a number of ways you could be twisting your stitches, but predominately I see people twist their stitches by wrapping the yarn around the needle the wrong way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013 06:05:56 AM »

Good point!  Consistency is important...sometim es you want a twist but all the stitches have to be done the same...

Are you guys seeing that her knit stitches are not making a "v"?  It does look like they are crossed at the bottom...more like an "x"?

I use this nifty little book that teaches a person how to knit better and to fix all sorts of problems...it is a great reference book for even the most experienced of knitters... I was making a few mistakes that I did not even know I was doing because I have done them for all these years...if anyone is interested, I will hunt up the title when I get home (I am at work... Smiley...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimadagem
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013 07:07:07 PM »

Assuming you started at the brim and worked your way up (rather than from the crown down, which is not common but doable) - your knit stitches definitely look twisted to me. Besides what soozeq said another common way to twist stitches is to knit the *back* of the stitch rather than the front. There is a good illustration on this page:
http://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/twisted-stitch.html

Twisted knit stitches don't necessarily make a bias fabric - when I use a knitting loom and the e-wrap knit stitch all the stitches are twisted and the fabric lies straight. In your case I'm wondering if maybe you're making the purl stitches the regular way and the knits twisted; that might account for the fabric being skewed the way it is.

The hat looks finished now so I'm not sure you can do anything to fix this project; you can try washing it to see if that helps. For future projects maybe you could check out some web pages or videos that show how to make a regular knit stitch. That might help you not only compare what you're doing with what others do but also find another way to make the knit stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Handmade Stockings
How to Craft a Gift Card Holder Pouch
How to Craft a Holiday Wreath with Coffee Filters
How to Make a Glittered Pinecone Gift Topper
How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Cottages
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...