A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewelry repair - replacing earring post  (Read 534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MisSarah
« on: March 23, 2013 02:13:00 PM »

I recently bought a pair of earrings off of ebay, since they were no longer available from the designer (Kate Spade). When I got them, it became pretty clear that they are fake, however since I got them for so cheap, I'm willing to work with them. They're earrings that say "ta" and "da". The originals have an exclamation point after "da", but these ones have what looks more like a lowercase L. SO I snipped of the L with a pair of wire cutters. Unfortunately, the post was attached to the back of the L. They appear to be made of some kind coated metal.

I'm hoping someone knows of a good way to attach a new post? I've done some hunting, and I'm thinking that a flat, 1 mm post is what I need to use. Does anyone know where I can purchase these ('m in Canada)? I've looked on ebay and etsy, but I can only find them in huge lots, which I really don't want to purchase since I will never use 500 of these.

I'm a long-time lurker but I've never posted, so I can't attach pictures, but I've included some links so you can see what I'm talking about.

Front of the earrings:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/littlemisssarah60/P1050788_zps77a1b50c.jpg

Back:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/littlemisssarah60/P1050790_zps8f1739c0.jpg

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013 09:15:01 PM »

You can make your own earring post out of wire.  File or grind one end smooth and round (that's the part that goes in your ear).  Cut the other end straight across, a bit longer than the existing post.  Drill a hole in the back of the earring and glue the wire in place.  I'm thinking super glue, but epoxy might be stronger.  But messier.  You can kind of see that the earrings are cheap (excuse me) metal that is probably brittle and can't be soldered. 

Positioning the post may be tricky.  Did you try the earring before modifying it?  It looks like it would have swiveled down, so the d would be at the bottom, not on the left.  You might want to put the hole in the back of the d vertical.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
appatite
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013 08:48:05 AM »

I agree with the above poster, with one small edit. I repaired a set of mine, and instead of gluing the post to the earring itself, I glued the post to a small flat scrap  of metal. So:

Find scrap of metal, drill hole, glue in post
glue scrap of metal to earring.

This worked better for me because I couldn't drill the earring itself. It also gave a lot more surface for the glue to hold!

Try 24hr epoxy. I find it works for everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stones and Findings: Stones, chains, pearls, Sterling Silver and indie-designed unique findings!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
Make it beautiful Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Panoramic Plates - Shake 4
How to Track Obscured Points - Shake 4
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...