A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ready for winter to be over (lots-o-pics)  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2013 02:12:19 PM »

The calendar says spring started 2 days ago and even if we still have 9 inches of snow outside, I am ready for winter to be over, so I figured maybe posting my winter-knitting projects might help. Grin
I have neglected Craftster dreadfully these past 4 months, but now that my written finals are over, I'd really like all you wonderful crafty folk to know that I haven't been super-lazy in the craft-department. Since I didn't have enough time and leisure to actually start any intricate projects, I just carried my knitting and crocheting around with me all the time and- let me just mention that right now- it has stopped my head from exploding many a time Wink

Ok, so here is what I've made:

a study in brown, made with the wonderful new mesh yarn:

one of the circular scarfs I've seen here on Craftster- and this one took 4 different kinds of yarn until it finally came out nicely Grin:

and because I decided to use up supplies before I actually got to buy "fresh" yarn, a hat (crocheted) and a scarf in left-over pink:

and left-over sparkly red:

a shoulder wrap in unbelievably cozy greys:

and of course, some purple:

and some purple-ish leftovers:

and finally, my favourite, an actual jacket, which to my utter surprise even fits  Grin (which is certainly surprising considering my non-existing skills in making the right size when knitting)

So, what do you think? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013 05:24:19 PM »

I just...I just....wow...I can't/don'twantto knit as I find counting past 23 taxing....and...I don't mean to insult knitters....but it is rare for me to see knitting that suits my surreal tastes.  But you knit bird feathers, bubbles, space ships and Renaissance men's wear BBB! 

Lets see....
The brown one hurts my brain some how.  I keep staring at it but it makes no sense to me, in a good way.  It's like bark, or those cool fungus, but made out of yummy chocolate...I can't stop staring at it....

The black and white..coat? is the one that reminds me of feathers.  A feather cloak for BB, how perfect Grin

Then the 2 space ships heheheh.  With landing strips even Grin  Adorable and so you Grin

The caplet is so stylish.  it looks like some exotic kind of fur to me.

Purple bubbles!  How cool is that?  We have a candy bar here made out of chocolate bubbles.  I'm SO going to send y'all at least one when I send you a care package next Grin

If Cosmo and Luna had puppies, and they were purple, they might look like this hat and scarf set Grin

ANd the jacket is awesome sweetling.  It is very Italian Ren.  I can see a shirt underneath with it pulled and puffed through all those wee holes...done lovingly by your hand maidens (which you deserve at LEAST a backers dozen Grin) of course Grin

I am delighted, relived, and entertained to be able to see bits of what helped you get through schooling and life in the last few.  I've had a good day, but seeing all your stuff fabouberbestest Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013 10:27:37 PM »

Thank you so much for that wonderful comment, my dearest! And you know, I have that counting difficulty as well... and I can't for the life of me read knitting patterns- they make me giggle Wink, which is why I am extra-happy that the jacket turned out looking like a jacket and not some sort of blob Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013 08:06:53 AM »

For some reason I didn't know you could knit or crochet, though I don't know why I didn't figure since you are amazing at everything else!  Everything is so so cool!  That jacket at the end is so beautiful!!!  And I'm in love with the shoulder wrap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013 12:28:50 AM »

Thehee- Jillybeans, I am actually not too skilled at knitting and crocheting, I pretty much just "wing it" Grin But to me, this is a very calming thing to do while everyone around has their heads explode Grin And with all the nice new kinds of yarn, it doesn't really take a whole lot of skills in order to come up with something that looks interesting-
take the brown one for instance- the effects are produced by the yarn itself producing some sort of small ruffle plus it is dyed in different matching colors Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013 02:40:58 PM »

Could you possibly post a tutorial or a link to the pattern for the shoulder wrap? I adore it! Although I think my favorite will have to be the circle scarf/shawl thing. However I think that if I had that it would get messed up and the shoulder wrap is totally awesome as welllll! I wish I could knit so many things. I need more yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013 03:36:31 AM »

TkRainy- thank you! I would really like to be able to make a fun tutorial for knitting things, but I usually just make things up as I go along... I just count the stitches on a notepad.... and I do have to admit, I continually loose those and can almost never remember exactly how I made stuff  Grin

The circle one is based on this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSixjG16kU&feature=youtu.be

and the shoulder wrap,  well

... I believe it was 36 stitches for about 4 rows ( in the first color= X),
then continuing on to the bottom- make a button hole by slipping the thread over on each second stitch in the first of 4 rows,

then for about 10 rows create a pattern by alternating colors like this :

XX OO XXXX OO XXXX
X OOOO XX OOOO XX
XX OO XXXX OO XXXX
XX XX XXXX XX XXXX

when you get to the neckline,
knit one row with slipovers every 5th stitch, creating holes for the string to be laced through ( for easier fit around the throat),

then switch thread to the second color ( O), add two stitches every second row, for about 10 rows,

then alternate the pattern:

OO XX OOOO XX OOOO
O XXXX OO XXXX OOO
OO XX OOOO XX OOOO
OO OO OOOO OO OOOO

for about 20 rows...

or at least I think, that is how I did it...  Wink

I hope, you find this at least mildly helpful. Please excuse my somewhat odd instructions, I still haven't mastered the art of reading/ interpreting knitting instructions and I have to admit that this is even harder to do in english Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spikefan

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013 11:51:15 AM »

Lovely work! I especially love the grey shoulder wrap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013 09:34:55 PM »

Thank you, spikefan! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Master Leggings in 3 Looks
How to Wear Sequins Like a Boss
How to Look White Hot in White Denim
Trend Report - Prints
DIY Cut-Out T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...