A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sculpey baked to ceramic mug?  (Read 1491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indygurl1125
« on: March 20, 2013 05:14:30 PM »

I have done projects in which I've baked sculpey clay right onto glassware (i.e. a wine glass) by putting the unbaked sculpey right onto the wine glass and putting the whole shebang into the oven. It worked nicely; the clay fused right to the glass.  What would happen - does anyone know? - if I tried to do the same thing with a store-bought ceramic coffee mug?

Help appreciated! Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013 02:59:40 PM »

I repaired a ceramic sugar holder  I use to hold teabags that was cracked and had a chip missing using polymer clay several years ago that has held up quite well- however I only hand wash it and it doesn't hold hot liquid like a coffee mug does-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katpac
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013 08:50:53 AM »

You can bake the clay right on the mug. If you surround the mug (like a stripe that goes through the handle) it should just form a mechanical hold (no bonding agent just the shape holds it on). If its more like a medallion you can bake it on the mug and pop it off afterwards and glue it on with superglue or E6000. If you don't pop the medallion off it will fall off eventually. Like Teag said, hand wash it, no dishwasher.  And remember polymer souldn't cover the lip of the mug, it shouldn't be used where it will contact food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilysa
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013 09:03:40 AM »

You can also bake on ceramic it won't hurt anything as its a high fire clay. I have however found if you don't cover the item completely with polymer clay there is a better chance it will fall off, so you may need to use some glue first. I have used Sobo glue successfully. Also if you are going to put hot liquid in the mug it could also make the clay come off. Just something to think about.
Ilysa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Bernard Meets Up with Dana Davis of Heavenly Heels
Topshop and Adidas Collaboration Preview
7 Items You Need for Your Spring Wardrobe
2 Easy Ways to Wash Coated Denim
How to Wear High Waisted Mom Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...