A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: does framing my jewelry make them art?  (Read 1686 times)
Tags for this thread: frame , jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rio_Supreme
« on: June 26, 2013 02:40:36 PM »

I decided to make this after the thousandth time of hunting through my earrings to find something for an evening out, only to find some that I had completely forgot that I owned! (and loved!)

I found this frame in a charity shop so I took out the natty fruit painting, glued the moulding back on where it was hanging off and glued metal mesh to the back.

I like the result but a few things I'm gonna change for the 1.2 version. I wouldn't use the mesh I got from the art store, its mainly for forming into shapes so when I'm removing earrings its deforming the mesh a little. I think I'll have to go for the finest grade of chicken wire I can find. Also I was planning on having this hanging from a wall, but I quickly found out that its kinda irritating to take this picture down off the wall whenever I want to use it. I think I would need some kinda stand that could be supported by the sides of the frame so it can be free standing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try again, fail again, fail better." Samuel Beckett
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013 03:48:15 PM »

Great idea and a work of art with all the earrings decorating the frame.

Look for something called hardware cloth. It is like small metal fencing with openings of about 1/4" or slightly smaller. It's nice and sturdy and not at all like cloth...who knows where the name came from. I use it to screen the compost, keep critters out from under my shed and now a place to hang my earrings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
jadyth
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013 06:36:55 PM »

i used fly wire. we had some left over from redoing all our screen doors. it works a treat. i used a staple gun to keep it in place. just make sure if you do, that you check the depth of what you're nailing... i got a bit excited and popped a staple in only to realize the ends were poking out the front.

you found a rather gorgeous frame for it though. very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weddingstar
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013 10:43:30 AM »

So cute! Love the frame - it really does make them look like art!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013 10:13:00 AM »

Love the old frame.  I think it would work great if it was hung low on a wall then you wouldn't need a stand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
TeutonicTitwillow
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014 02:15:22 PM »

That looks awesome, nice job!

by the way -- Burlap works well for this kinda thing too.  I did this w/ an old frame and hung it right on the wall.  Just tacked the burlap in w/ a staple gun and woop--- my earrings go right in the little burlap holes.  It took me like five seconds to do that one and it has held up for over a year.

I didn't do anything fancier than that w/ mine. BUT last year for Christmas I made freezer paper stencils and put cool pictures on the burlap w/ fabric paint.  (One was an old-skool 70's pussycat and the other was a monster with glow in the dark eyes and teeth.)  Then gave the jewelry frames as gifts.  Of course I was not smart or organized enough to have taken pictures at the time.  But it was dead easy to do.  I stole that idea from Pinterest but the link seems to be dead now.  I also saw where somebody used an old onion bag for this -- like the plastic mesh kind of bag?  Like so:  http://makezine.com/craft/diy_earring_holder_frame/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...