A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to? beading needles...  (Read 1327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lockheartdiyer
« on: December 05, 2006 03:37:34 PM »

So I literally started beading today with actual tools...versus the ole push the thread through the bead ordeal...well anyhow my question is how to thread the silk cording that I am using onto my beading needle. It comes already threaded when I open the packet...but once I cut it off I am at a loss of how to use the rest of my cording. When I try to knot it I can barely get my seed beads on there...what to do ladies and or gents? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 10:53:31 PM »

What are you making?  Do you need to push the thread several times through the bead, like in bead weaving? 

I find threading the needle easier if I condition the thread after cutting, with either beeswax or Thread Heaven - the thread seems stronger, less staticky, and less likely to fray when conditioned, and easier to thread.

I don't knot the end of the thread anymore either - I use a starter bead.  Take a bead of a different colour, perhaps a bit bigger, and push it to where you want the beading to start - I usually leave several inches of thread or wire at the end, just in case.  Anchor the bead by winding the thread around it a couple of times - but do not knot it (you want to be able to remove it easily) - then I bead the pattern, and this bead keeps things from sliding off.  If I want to secure things by knotting, then I knot between the beads, weaving through, and knotting several times.  Some people use a dab of clear nail polish or bead glue to secure their knots too.  If the knots are done correctly, and the tension is tight enough, they are hidden in the beadwork by sitting tightly between beads, or getting pulled into the beadhole.

If you still have trouble, you can use a threader, which are cheap and easily found in sewing notions sections of stores like Wal mart.  Also, there are beading needles called Big Eye needles which are very thin, with thin, long eyes that can flex open and are easy to thread.  Rather pricey and fragile for a needle though.

If you are weaving, and need to pass thread several times through small beads, look into a different type of thread - like thin Nymo, or C-Lon, or SuperLon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
lockheartdiyer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006 05:34:55 PM »

I was making the Jingle Bracelet that was featured in Martha Stewart's Holiday Handmade Gift Guide. (i couldn't find a picture). Its a simple bracelet with just small seed beads and then jingle bells in the middle.

I threaded them by putting the needle several times within a container of the beads so that they would catch on to the needle and I could thread several beads at once. My issue was that my thread came pre-threaded and once I needed to cut it off I didn't know how to keep using the needle to thread on my beads without knotting the thread to the small needle. I hope that makes sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropdeadred77
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006 12:51:12 AM »

I think I know about the thread you are using - it comes on a card pre-threaded onto a flexible needle? I'm not sure about re-using those set-ups once you've cut the thread, as it's sort of double and twisted through the eye of the needle it comes with. You could get a pack of flexible beading needles and re-thread the silk cord onto those, but then it will have to pass through the bead at double thickness. There's no way to re-thread that cord the way it comes as purchased.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 05:32:36 AM »

I have never used the prestrung stuff.  Is there a way to unravel one end a bit (like how you do with embroidery floss) thread some of the cord through the needle, then rewrap and condition the end?

If not, what about threading a different needle and using larger E-beads to make the bracelets. 

Or buying a beading thread like C-lon or Nymo.

Or a good strength fishing line that is likely stiff enough for you to string on without a needle - and you can secure the knot with a dab or beading glue, nailpolish, or melting the knot slightly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006 08:10:31 AM »

I've used the silk threaded cord before.  If I remember correctly, you can unravel your thread off the bobbin, and start your beading at the end.  When you are done, you will still have your thread on a needle.  (I hope this makes sense.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014 07:14:42 PM »

I started re-stringing some pearls using the pre-threaded needle. After stringing and knotting about 15 pearls and a clasp, the thread broke off the needle.

Any remedy other than starting over? I just don't think there's enough room in the pearls to thread through a beading needle because the thread would be too fat. Ever try stiffening the end of the thread with something and just skipping the needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Holiday-Ready Glitter Lip
Eye Makeup Tips for Asian Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: 7 Day Nails
How to Fix Smudged Nails
Beauty Test Lab: Ciate Velvet Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...