A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tension issues - new brother PE 770  (Read 2479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 19, 2013 08:16:07 AM »

I have a Brother PE770, I got it in January, so its pretty new. I was doing a bunch of applique designs, and did 5/6 of them, and noticed that each one I did, then tension got a little more off. By #6, it was a huge mess!

The upper thread is super loose, its loopy on the top, and on the back, no bobbin thread shows at all, its just like 1 piece of thread going through all the back and forth of the upper thread. So on the back, all you see is loose, sometimes tangled, upper thread. Its eating through tones of thread.

I tried:
- new needle
- cleaning everything including in-between the tension disks
- changing the upper tension everywhere from -8 to +8, the whole range it can go.
- tried a few different designs
- different thread
- removing bobbin and casing, cleaning everything (there was no fuzz) and putting it all back
- adjusting the screw slightly on the bobbin casing
- different hoops
- leaving it overnight to see if it would magically fix itself in the night
- and finally, yelling at it.

Nothing made any difference at all.

Now what???

The nearest "Brother authorized" dealer is 2 hours away, and this thing is basically brand new. And I need to finish this outfit by friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013 12:33:16 PM »

I don't know if it will help much or not but I find that it makes a difference when I am putting the bobbin in to hold it down with one finger while threading the thread through. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Pegobrien61
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013 12:02:23 PM »

Did you solve this? Mine is doing the same thing. It got a lot better after I ran some unwaxed dental floss through it, but still not right. Also it does well if you pinch the thread slightly as it comes off the spool. Not a preferred solution.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gravel10
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013 07:46:08 AM »

I have a Brother 1250D and it also does that,  It works fine for a few projects then it eats my fabric when it sucks my top thread in to the bobbin case and gets all messed up.   My closest brother dealer is over and hour away too.  Sad  getting so mad then sad at my machine which I truly love to play with
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thomas Jefferson:

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013 04:09:12 PM »

In searching online I found  couple of ideas that may help with this:

There is a screw on side of bobbin case that you turn. If you look on page 68 of your manual it walks you through adjusting tension. There are 2 screws you want to adjust the flat head screw NOT the Phillips head screw. Turning clockwise tightens counter clockwise loosens.

Check your bobbin case. To make sure the thread hooked into the bobbin case properly. Take the case out, put in the bobbin to make sure it's caught properly and then put it back into the machine.

Check that the bobbin tension is adjusted correctly by taking out the bobbin complete with the spool. Pull the cotton thread and it should be a smooth light pressure if the tension is correct. If it is tight to pull or pulls freely then adjust the tension screw which is found on the outside of the bobbin. The screw is very small and requires a miniature size screwdriver. The adjustment will only be a slight turn of the screw one way or the other to obtain the correct tension(depending if it was loose or tight). Once this is set reinstall the bobbin and tread up the machine, hopefully with the upper tension set at approx."2" the machine will sew correctly.

Hope these help someone  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...