A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adding sleeves to a cape pattern  (Read 650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janslow
« on: March 18, 2013 07:15:14 AM »

Hi lovlies!

My mum is getting married in December of this year and has asked me if I could make her a full length cape with a hood to go over her wedding dress. I was sure I could help her when I said yet, but after looking at the patterns she had in mind I'm not sure sure now!

She would like Cape B from this pattern: http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/5794/#.UUcNW1tOqao. She loves the lining, and the hood, but she would like the sleeves from this pattern: http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/9887/#.UUcX6ltOqao.

I told her that was fine as I was positive I could add the sleeves, but I'm not feeling wobbly about it all. I'm an avid crafter, and enjoy sewing but this project would be using velvet for the outside and satin inside, and for starters I dislike sewing with velvet/satin. Eeek.

I haven't received the patterns yet, but on first glance, would it definitely be possible to add the sleeves? Any pointers on how to approach this would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Jess x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For unique handmade notebooks and journals, visit:
www.libertecrafts.c o.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/LiberteCrafts
Schtroumpfette
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013 09:44:11 AM »

I think it would be easier to add the hood to the pattern that has sleeves and further alter it to make it look more like the first pattern. They're both from the same brand, so if you're lucky, you might not have to change anything to be able to fit the hood of the first pattern to the second pattern. If you change the hood and make it in the fabric she wants, the second pattern will already look a lot more like the first. It's difficult to see because they used very different fabric in the examples.
Trying it out with cheap/left over fabrics wouldn't be a bad idea though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janslow
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013 02:42:39 PM »

I think it would be easier to add the hood to the pattern that has sleeves and further alter it to make it look more like the first pattern. They're both from the same brand, so if you're lucky, you might not have to change anything to be able to fit the hood of the first pattern to the second pattern. If you change the hood and make it in the fabric she wants, the second pattern will already look a lot more like the first. It's difficult to see because they used very different fabric in the examples.
Trying it out with cheap/left over fabrics wouldn't be a bad idea though.
Hi Schtroumphette,

Thank you for your reply!

After thinking about it I came to a similar conclusion, that it would be easier to adjust the second pattern to add the hood rather than adding sleeves to the first pattern.

My mum has bought the two patterns in the sale and has sent them too me. When they arrive I will try it out with left over/cheap materials. It worries me slightly that it will be velvet/satin, but I can work with that.

Thanks again!
Jx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For unique handmade notebooks and journals, visit:
www.libertecrafts.c o.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/LiberteCrafts
AlenaSelene
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013 09:23:03 AM »

I have the second pattern. The length of the capes and sleeves are extra long.

I agree, would be easier to modify the second pattern. Hoods are pretty simple and should be easy to switch out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Glamorous Holiday Makeup Looks
Beauty Gadgets Perfect For Holiday Gifts
How To Get a Classic Holiday Makeup Look
Backstage with Mally Rancol at the Tracy Reese Show
The Difference Between Sugar and Salt Scrubs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...