A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie here- Dresser Reconstruction into a children wardrobe- help?  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kage_enjeru
« on: March 17, 2013 10:00:08 AM »

First of all I'm new (both to craftser and furniture reconstruction)- so hi!   I'm trying to turn my old four door dresser into a kids closet.  Here's my inspiration:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6624940773_e84ea6f6b2.jpg

Here's where I'm running into a rut, I own no power tools such as circular saws.  The bottom is 16" *27", the sides 16*24 (to the top of the dresser drawer), and the back 24"*27".  I don't have a lowes nearby, only a menards, and they will not cut my wood for me.  I live in an apartment complex with very little extra room, no access to a garage or anything, so buying new power tools is not really an option as there are noise curfews and little space (and I can really only work on this in my living room after my two year old daughters have gone to bed).  I have thought of using clear acrylic and cutting it with a plastic sheet cutter and modge podging the heck out of it.  But that would only work on the sides and back. Plus be a little pricy. My daughters are 2 and will definitely and some point climb into the wardrobe so I need a sturdy base.

Here's what I have to work with:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/317720_17Mar13_100_1001.JPG

Close up of inside:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/317720_17Mar13_100_1002.JPG.

I've thought of buying a hand saw and either some  1"3"48" lath strips, or furring strips (even though I'd prefer solid board), but I'm not sure how easily these cut.  I also don't have more than 20$ to spend on the saw+ materials until the first.  I mean I can wait until then if absolutely necessary, but I NEED to do this now! 

(has any other crafter felt like that... get an urge to make something, and can't do it right away, so you can't stop thinking about it, it keeps you up at night, and slowly drives you completely insane?  or am I alone in that one?  Undecided)

Anyways, any advice, ideas, hints, or alternatives would be welcome. (also for future reference any cheap saws that won't  take up room that might be good for reconstruction projects?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kage_enjeru
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013 10:41:46 AM »

Really ant help would be greatly appreciated,  even if its that the lathe would work?  i'm not sure it will. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013 09:44:51 AM »

If I were doing this, I'd just take out the drawer guides except for the one at the bottom (above the drawer you're keeping) and install a piece of plywood above the drawer. Then I'd sand and paint the whole shebang, install a rod and call myself awesome Tongue You may need to actually keep and relocate the drawer guides to firmly support the plywood. This would require a claw hammer and small wood nails (not finishing nails), a sanding block and sandpaper (200 grit for the inside plus a scuff pad for the outside), paint and brushes/rollers, and a suitable rod.

The greatest difficulty in your situation would be finding someone to cut the plywood to size. Why won't Menard's cut the wood for you? I think you just got a lazy employee because I've never heard of a place that sells lumber refusing to cut it. They do require you to purchase the whole sheet, though. Otherwise, try the grapevine. Talk to everyone you know about your need, and someone will eventually pop up who can cut your wood or even has a scrap of plywood that you can have.

And no, you're not alone in being driven crazy by a project you can't even start on Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kage_enjeru
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013 09:12:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  I'll have to try the grapevining thing, in the meantime, I'm starting cutting the laths, though it'll be more work, since I'll have to make it look more finished.  Menard's doesn't cut wood do to liability reasons- in fact they're so afraid of being sued they making their employees used special box cutters that are impossible to cut yourself with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sports Betting Tips
How to Play Blackjack
Understanding Craps Terminology
Basketball Handicapping Bets
Learn to Play Craps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...