A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas on what to do with this square?  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toralune
« on: March 17, 2013 12:19:00 AM »

I've been stuck on this project for a long time now (think several years), so I'm thinking it's about time I tried for some outside help. Several years ago, I came up with the idea of crocheting a pretty pillow cover for a friend. She's a semi-big knitter but not so much into crochet, plus at the time she had a practical use for a travel-sized pillow and I knew she was the sort to appreciate something handcrafted like this. The only problem is, I finished up the front and only got part of the back done before putting it on a long hiatus for some reason. Now I can't remember what stitches or hook size I was using for the back, plus I'm not sure a pillow would be the best thing now anyway. I'd still really like to find a way to use the front square in some sort of gift for her, but I'm finding myself pretty clueless on decent ideas.

There's a picture of the square I've got (ravelry link to it here.) It's about 14" square, done with acrylic yarn, and is admittedly a bit wavy at the edges which may or may not affect what I can do with it.

Quick info about my friend to help. She married since I started this project, and has a boy who's almost 1 by now. She loves working with kids, and also enjoys several hand crafts (I know of knitting, tatting and sewing, though I'm not sure how much crafting she does now with the baby), and her personal taste does tend to run a bit country (in the Little House sense). Both her and her husband's families live outside the country also in case that helps generate a couple ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013 02:24:43 AM »

Why not make her a cotton bag - a tote bag style -  and sew this to one side for decoration - then she could us it to carry her crafting projects, baby things or just her shopping? From your description of her it seems like she would realy like and use a gift like that.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013 01:20:08 AM »

You can still turn that square into a pillow. Take your square and lay it flat, wrong side up. Put a small pillow form in the middle.Now take each corner point and fold it to the middle. Sew up the seams.
Here is a photo:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-all-in-one-cushion-cover-tutorial

Here are examples:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-all-in-one-cushion-cover-tutorial/people

Maria

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013 01:22:13 AM by Maria Merlino » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toralune
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013 02:48:25 AM »

Oo, never thought to do that for a smaller pillow. Also the tote bag idea, I might just suck it up and stitch up a backside and give it some lining or something since I agree that would probably fit her needs better nowadays. Thanks for the help. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catlover1981
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013 03:55:51 AM »

what about a blanket make several squares and put them together it would be so pretty as a blanket I think
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an International Ransom Video
How to Cry Convincingly on Stage
How to Direct Actors
How to Digitize Super 8mm
How to Edit Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...