A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap pendant lamps made classy with cupcake liners  (Read 1628 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apis_melis
« on: March 15, 2013 11:00:39 AM »

I discovered a chain of dollar-and-a-half stores called Daiso Japan a few weeks ago. They are like crack: unlike a lot of dollar stores, they have quality goods. They do seem to share the drawback that they do not have the items I run out of when I go back, but I think that just adds to the druglike aspect: I feel the urge to hoard the things I like and return more often than necessary just in case new nifty things have shown up.

Anyway, I bought some paper pendant lampshades in various shapes and colors and little glassine muffin liners/candy cups. Glassine is wonderful stuff: I love the translucency and gloss. The crinkly noises it makes when you fold it is also fun. The cups are pre-corrugated, adding a nice texture.

For the teardrop-shaped lamp, I began with a round shade. The cylindrical one started as... a cylinder. Though making a pendant lamp out of bits from the hardware store is fun and super-easy, it was actually cheaper to get sets from Ikea. Total cost was about $21.50 for two lamps, not including the glue or scissors: $7 each (lamps) + $1.50 each (shades) + $4.50 (liners).

The petals are done two different ways: those on the cylinder are just opened flat and then folded across about 1/3 of the way down to create overlapping arcs.

The teardrop petals are made by folding the flattened circles into wedges. Though this design is pretty forgiving, I got the best results by accordion-folding into eighths, then taking each end and folding it in half again.

Then take curved cuticle scissors and cut petals in the rounded edge. Straight scissors will work too, I just like slightly rounded petals.

Unfold and do the 1/3 overlap.

The teardrop took about 200 cups and the cylinder 100. It's pretty brain-free, so I just did it while watching movies and listening to podcasts.

The glue-up was pretty fast. Start at the bottom and go to the top. The papers overlap more on the teardrop, so it and the frilliness of the cut petals conceal the fact that I just aligned the folded edges with the wire on the lantern and followed it in a spiral. If I were to do it over again, I would take the half minute to pencil evenly spaced lines around the cylinder, as it looks a little wonky on the bottom edge. Luckily, none of my friends inspect the lighting fixtures too closely when they visit.

A note on paper: Glassine, grease-proof, freezer and some other baking papers can be a little pesky with adhesives. It is worth it to do a test with your glue or tape if you use a coated paper. Similarly, it is difficult to color. Sharpies, art pens and similar items don't usually take, and the best thing I have found so far is nail polish. If you want to embellish yours, either use regular paper baking cups or experiment to find a coloring method that will work.

That's about it. Install the lamp while the glue is drying, hang the shade, and - Ta da! - luminary gratification!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013 11:43:40 AM »

Awesome!
I always love to use stuff that wasn't meant to be a craft supply.
You did a great job on both of them.
And boy, did I wish we had that kind of stores here in Belgium (although they do make me worry about exploited labour).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013 11:44:40 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

apis_melis
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013 12:12:05 PM »

Thanks, BeaG!

I agree that labor exploitation is a huge problem. One of the things we have seen in the US is that the same factories and sweatshops make both cheap goods and designer stuff. You may pay more at the register, but the extra dollars (or Euros) never make it to the people who do the work.

That said, I do try to buy fair trade goods when I can find them. Some things, like muffin liners, only seem to come from China nowadays. Thrift stores are a good option for art supplies, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013 01:18:53 PM »

I love DIASO!!  I discovered them 4 or 5 years ago, and I get to go 2 or 3 times a year.  It's about a two hour drive from where I live now, so it is always combined with some other chore in the area....except for last year, when I went for my birthday Grin.  While I have noted that some of the things that come from there are from China, most of it seems to come from Korea and I have also bought stuff from them that was made in Israel and Turkey....which may all have there own labor issues.  But if one doesn't want to buy just from China, it is an awesome dollarish store.  My favo sections are the craft area (such great papers! and all kinds of patterned felt) and the house wears section.  It's so fun to see all the molds and tools for making bento boxes Grin

Now that I'm through gushing over DIASO, I love how the lamps came out.  I like the scalloped look of the cylinder best I think.  I would have to put googly eyes on the tear drop one, as it looks like a fluffy monster to me Grin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013 01:20:06 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
KaylaTarantino
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013 02:07:24 PM »

Wow! These are so neat--I've seen something similar in Ikea for a crazy amount of money.  I would have never though cupcake liners...wonder how this would work with all different colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apis_melis
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013 11:42:29 AM »

Thanks!

Great idea on the googly eyes, suereal! It makes me think of the big orange monster with high-top sneakers from old Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Kayla - I hope you post pictures if you make a multicolored one. I'll bet it would be beautiful. http://www.countrykitchensa.com is the best place I have seen so far for glassine cups in colors online, but I haven't seen their products in the flesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013 08:05:32 AM »

These look sooo expensive, what a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013 01:13:49 PM »

These look so high end. Great tute and explanation and tips too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw in the Manga Style Shoju
How to Draw in the Manga Style Kawaii
Manga Drawing Tips
Manga Drawing Techniques
How to Develop Your Own Manga Characters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...