A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leaky waders Useful Again (more photos!)  (Read 2379 times)
Tags for this thread: category_featured_project , kit_bag , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flyangler
« on: March 15, 2013 08:02:24 AM »

Simplicity pattern: 9949 with my own modifications

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013 08:09:04 AM by flyangler - Reason: more projects, same material! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013 08:59:08 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that the lining is a beautiful oak leaf batik that came from a dress that never fit me. I taught myself how to tie a lanyard/crown knot by watching a few YouTube videos. Then I added grommets and the knots to the larger bag to make using the zipper more easy.

These bags are made of breathable material so anything damp put inside can dry, but water from the outside can't get in. A gym bag for my shoes is on the cutting table next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013 09:26:27 AM »

It looks good - very well made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013 09:23:37 AM »

Thank you Taramor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013 10:22:02 AM »

For the reel case in the second photo collage:

This kind of chest wader is known as stocking-foot and has a neoprene bootie at the foot. Cases that protect reels are also made of neoprene. So I traced onto paper around a reel case I already had, put the pattern up against the bootie, and traced the pattern onto the bootie on both sides- top and bottom of foot. Then I cut along the lines to make a little pouch from the toe of the bootie. I giggled at my cleverness.  ;DI used the same paper pattern to make two pieces of that oak leaf batik for lining. Then I sewed them right sides together between the dots. The next two steps will be to make some bias tape from the fabric and bind the raw top edges of the pouch and lining, and attach some kind of closure. Velcro? A hand cut deer antler button?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013 10:25:03 AM by flyangler » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013 12:00:16 PM »

Still using up the two leaky pairs of waders I have. I made a creel for a fellow angler out of a rice bag and some wader material for the inside. The old belt of the waders makes a fine shoulder strap. The photo collage kind of cut off the caption which was "A Creel Miracle (waders and rice bag)". Initially, I told my friend that I'd make him one out of a coffee bag, but when I saw the bit about the miracle of Himalayan water on the rice bag, I changed my gourd.

Do you think I should tea stain the rice bag to make it a little less white?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013 12:06:11 PM »

Oh, and another thing that made the rice bag reel-ly cool is that it already had a zipper in it. So I just cut up some old ripstop nylon for a pocket liner. I only had to buy some binding for connecting the top of the rice bag and the inside lining.

I'm pondering a hand hammered copper fish and fry-pan set up for the closure on the bag, a magnetic snap, or a loop and knot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyangler
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013 08:11:59 AM »

As much as I have enjoyed talking to myself here, the photos are for all y'all.

I decided to take one of the d-rings on a webbing tab from the waders and use it as a pull for the flap. It conceals a magnetic snap and has a decorative lanyard knot extension, which can be used instead for a zipper pull on the pocket, if the recipent so chooses.

And we have closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013 04:34:35 PM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013 07:28:22 PM »

This is fantastic.  Hard to believe that these were once waders!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
flyangler
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013 07:40:04 AM »

Thank you!

If you could see the inside of the creel more clearly, you could see the red earth stains from taking a butt-slide down a river bank up north in the iron range. The recipient kind of loves all the fish stories that go with the bag, so the ground in dirt doesn't bother him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBeau
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013 01:36:21 AM »

Great up-cycle project and really high quality looking end products.. don't stain the rice bag! Let it happen over time, the real way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013 01:27:04 PM »

Thank you PaperBeau! The recipient of the creel promises he'll stain the outside with mud and river water on his own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013 01:24:57 PM »

OMG this is a total DUH moment.  What a BRILLIANT IDEA!

I love this idea especially since I have been working on several of the boxy type bags and they are super simple to make.   These would be fun to make and perfect for the gentleman.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Guy Attempts to Follow a Highlight and Contour Makeup Tutorial
Sharing Our Summer Beauty Routines
Jamie Greenberg Sits Down with Skin Guru Dr. Lancer
Guy Attempts to Follow a Smokey Eyes Makeup Tutorial
Blogger Explains Her Nude Photo Shoot For The Be Beautiful Project
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...