A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Taxidermy--OR Ode to craftylittlemonkey  (Read 1824 times)
Tags for this thread: faux_taxidermy , jackalope  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 13, 2013 02:13:26 PM »

The amazing craftylittlemonkey has sent me several very generous surprise supplies packages in the last few years.  It's way better then Christmas, believe me.  In one package she sent me this fabo little set of antlers and a wooden plaque.  I knew I wanted to do a faux taxidermy, but it took me a year or so to decided and then figure out how to make what I decided on.  Eventually, I decided to go an rather obvious rout and make me a Jack-a-lope.  I have received a few in swaps, so I decided to add one more and make it an official collection.  Eventually, I settled on starting with a foil form and then cover it in paper clay (which is why it's here and not in the poly clay section).  My plan was to take progress pics, but that was an epic fail.  The foil part was just a stick with a ball on the end really.  The details of the face are all added on with little balls of paper clay.  The eyes are some glass doll eyes that I found at a thrift last summer.

I used false eyelashes from the dollar store and the whiskers are cut from a broom.  It's hard to tell in the photos (or real life actually) but I flocked it in purple and orange.  It's not as fuzzy as I was hoping, but it was my first time using flocking and I had no idea how it would work. 

Here's a side shot...

And here it is with a Campbell's soup can (Andy Warhol edition Grin) so you can see the size.

I'm happy with the way it turned out and I learned a lot about paper clay and flocking Grin

Thanks for looking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013 04:42:24 PM »

Absolutely brilliant, my dear! The extra eyeball has 'suereal' written all over it!! What a fun idea to use fake eyelashes too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013 06:56:57 PM »

This is so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013 10:12:33 PM »

Oh, this is so you, my dear! It's funny and odd and just adorable Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glamis

Hello, my name is glamis and I am a bibliophilic..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013 12:58:57 AM »

He is really cute. I love the eyes and the eyelashes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting any kind of skull shaped beads and patches-feel free to send me spare ones  ;-)
---------------------------------------------
etsy
pinterest
draw me s.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013 08:22:21 AM »

Thanks y'all Grin

LimeR--I LOLed when I read what you wrote, as I had completely forgotten about the 3rd eye.  Not that I didn't see it, but it just looked so natural to me, that I forgot it was not supposed to be there Grin

Dearest BBB--You know me so well...funny, odd and just adorable Grin

Lovesc and Glamis--Thanks for your kind words Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013 11:22:55 AM »

Oh. My. GAWP!
Dude, you are the craziest woman evar! And I mean that in the best possible way. This is just awesome. You freak. LOL Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
suereal

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013 01:43:18 PM »

Oh. My. GAWP!
Dude, you are the craziest woman evar! And I mean that in the best possible way. This is just awesome. You freak. LOL Cheesy

LOL.  It's 1/2 your fault my little muse Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013 04:14:06 PM »

This is why none of us can ever compete with you, Susi. Who else would receive even one jackalope in a swap, let alone several? I have never found a single eye for sale outside of a specialty shop, and yet you find them by the bag at thrift shops! And of course even if any of us could conceive the idea of a three-eyed jackalope, only you would take the now obvious next step and make it orange and green.

A masterpiece! Kiss

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013 06:49:43 PM »

Who else would receive even one jackalope in a swap, let alone several?

You might be surprised.  It's the cutest of the cryptids when it gets down to it.  So I imagine anyone who lists cryptozoology as an interest has a good chance of getting a few in their craftster career.  I personal hope to receive several more.  I have a thing for rabbits in all mutations Grin

I must admit, I have had some amazing luck with finding craft eyes.  20ish years ago, I scored 3 different size bags of hundreds of peg eyes in pink and blue colors (so 6 all together) at a thrift for 2$ a bag.  So, if I use a pink eye, it is from that.  Mostly my blue eyes too, but they are disappearing.  That score probably shapped my crafting more then anything else I ever bought Grin

And, I suppose it might be odd to some, that I would take a doll eye and make a jack-a-lope, but I don't craft people figures.  I prefer animals as a theme.  And it started with the antlers really Grin.  I am glad I am not the only one who thought the colors were obvious Grin.  I hope it isn't disappointing to learn that was just the colors of flocking I had on hand.  It was either that or glitter...

A masterpiece! Kiss
*blushes profusely* ...I do love to read your posts Wulf Grin

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013 06:50:09 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nick Catanese Interview
Learn About Stained Glass Art
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...