A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My local shops stopped stocking my washing powder.  (Read 1307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: March 13, 2013 04:14:12 AM »

So, what else do I do? I make my own Cheesy

I used this tutorial http://snottydog.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/eco-friendly-washing-tabs/

Now-of course- it never runs smoothly does it? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The size of the soap bars isn't given in the recipe, so, having only small bars on hand, I used 3 x 100g bars. Either the soap in the USA isn't the same as the soap in the UK or I picked a particularly dense sort of soap. The dissolving took an age.  Roll Eyes

Eventually, I gave up using a spoon and just whisked the mixture, to at least get an even distribution of lumps. By the time (about an hour & a half  Angry) I'd got all the soap in, it didn't look like soap soup at all, but was a sort of paste running around the bottom of my pan.  Shocked
Yikes! I gave in Lips sealed and added another 3/4 of a pint of water to make it fluid again, even if it was very viscous. Undecided

I didn't dare take it off the heat at that stage- it would set if I didn't give it my best Paddington Bear stare all the time.

I very quickly made up the washing soda solution (generous name to give that- at the bottom it was a bit like a cup of coffee where someone has put sugar in- when you don't take sugar Sad- but decided not to stir it, so you don't notice until you've drunk too much to complain  Embarrassed) and poured that in too. Another good whisk round- not too fast, so I didn't make bubbles- but getting into every corner and it was finally thin enough to risk taking the heat off. Undecided

Of course, then I discovered that I didn't have the ice cube trays I'd intended to use: they'd been put to a more normal use!
Bah Humbug! Wink
So I covered the base of 2 roasting dishes with cling film and poured the stuff into those and set them outside for half an hour whilst I calmed down with a cup of tea. Smiley
The cling film didn't melt, the roasting trays remained clean and the stuff set beautifully. Cool Cool Cool Even with the extra 3/4 of a pint of water the stuff has set soft enough to cut and hard enough to keep it's shape and not stick excessively together. Grin

Of course I rushed the pouring, so I didn't get even layers in the dishes and my cutting isn't perfect so my tabs are all different sizes. Undecided So now I'm discovering just how many I need in a load. 5 little ones for a big load is good Grin, 2 big ones for a half load is good Grin. 2 little ones for a half load is rubbish Sad.

But I now (after 2 weeks of washing) have still got 2 1/2 tubs left, I don't think that's bad really for 2 1/2 hours work and 1 of ingredients.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013 05:53:17 AM »

Wow, you're persistent and resourceful! Glad you were able to get it done. I've thought about making my own washing powder, and you may have inspired me to try it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013 09:15:44 AM »

Awesome! Sounds like it was a process but you powered through! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013 09:20:10 AM »

Brilliant. Thanks for the link and well done for persevering. Sounds like it was worth it.  There is definitely a problem with just saying "a bar of soap".  Where I live they can be between 100 and 200 gm or more for the same brand - depends whether it is "family" or "economy" size and what the country of origin is.

Anyway I wouldn't mind having a go at this myself so I'm grateful for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013 09:47:38 AM »

Very cool idea! I currently make my own powdered detergent that works well but have tried the liquid and it was absolutely horrendous! Like lumpy snot...really gross! I like the idea of an "in between" type product because it would store a little easier and not have the dust that my powder does.

Just curious though...how sudsy is this style? I have an HE front loader and apparently have to watch out for overly sudsy soap.

I have heard that your water (hard, soft, etc.) and the exact type of soap you use makes a difference on how well this all works out so I think sometimes it's just trial and error! Great job sticking to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

47 different personalities and a craft for each one! Wink
Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013 04:29:02 PM »

I currently have hard water here and I don't find the tabs very sudsy.

I have a front loading washing machine (please excuse me whilst I quickly google HE washing machines) A-ha! It's not a term often used in the UK, so I can't tell you whether mine is or isn't. Or whether my normal detergent is suitable or not. 

I do find that the hotter the water the more sudsy these tabs get, just like my normal washing tabs. My normal wash is at 30 degrees, but about once a month I need to run a 95 degree wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013 04:05:06 AM »

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I didn't even stop to think that you may not use that term there...although I think from what I understand and have read that you guys are pretty far ahead of us on the High Efficiency thing so your products just ARE High Efficiency without having to be labeled as such! (Which is the way it should be here too in my opinion!)

Anyway, once my current batch of powder is done, I'll have to give this one a try! I'm like you, I only do a load in hot water about once a month! At worst, if it sudses too much, I'll just give it to someone with a top loader. That's the nice thing about it only costing a few bucks to make your own!

Thanks again for the insights and the help!! Have a great one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

47 different personalities and a craft for each one! Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear 60s Shift Dresses
Can I Break Job Interview Dress Codes?
Fausto Puglisi Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
Picking the Perfect Winter Coat
Designer Fashion Trend: Statement Jackets
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...