I was playing with the pom-pom yarn, determined to find a good way to crochet with it.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is mio's hat
, made with Loops & Threads Pom-pom yarn as colour A, and Bernat Waverly as colour B, and using a 6.5mm double-ended hook.
I did make some alterations to the pattern, though. I did four wedges, and I'm pretty sure (it was hard to see what I was doing) that I missed 8 stitches on each one.
When I made a swatch, I discovered that this stitch pattern is only stretchy on the diagonal, and since stretchiness is a coveted feature in hats, I had to make one major change: This hat is made sideways, so the bottom edge of the hat will be at one end of a row and the top of the hat will be at the other end of the row; which end is which changes depending on the row. Basically, I added a stitch to the end of the row that was the bottom of the hat, and I made a decrease at the end of the row that was at the top of the hat.
I increased on the "lift up loops" part of each row by simply inserting the hook through the fabric between two vertical bars and pulling up a loop that way. I decreased on the "work the loops off" part of each row by doing a "yarn over, pull through two" if it was the first thing I needed to do on a row, or "yarn over, pull through three" if it was the last thing I needed to do on a row.
Now, mio's hat is supposed to be a reversible pattern, but I don't think this hat works well that way:
Actually, it IS reversible, but perhaps doesn't look very fashionable this way. It is, however, super-duper soft on the pom-pom side, so maybe you'd want to wear it that way anyway!
Sadly, this hat is too small for me. It's stretchy, but not that stretchy! So here is Roopurt modelling the hat in a sexy glamour shot:
She's really, really beautiful, and not at all laying down because she's been washed so often that the beanbag that is supposed to be supporting her neck keeps falling down into her bum. Honest.