A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery noob needs help with too-small fabric?  (Read 570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Greys Princess
« on: March 10, 2013 08:32:01 PM »

Okay, so long story short, I'm very new to embroidery. That really doesn't excuse what happened, because I should have known better regardless, but I'm prefacing this all with that in the vain hope that it will make me look a little less stupid.

Basically what happened is I started out my work planning to work in a 5" hoop. I have a 5" tension hoop, and had started it a little in that, but decided to go get a standard screw-tight hoop (is there some fancy technical name for these?) of the same size so I could finish it and hang it. I had cut my fabric accordingly.

When I went to go get my hoop, all they had was 6" hoops (which actually look a lot better for the design I had planned anyway, because I fail at making a rectangular inspiration picture fit correctly into a circular space) so I got it and finished the embroidery in that. Now, though, I'm wanting to finish the back of the hoop so I can hang it up, and I've only got about a 1/2" of excess fabric at the top and bottom of the hoop (the sides are fine).

Is this going to be too little to nicely finish off? Should I look into gluing the excess fabric onto the hoop rather than sewing a different piece of fabric on the back like I would have liked? Am I just going to have to suck it up and get a smaller hoop?

My apologies for my noobishness on this matter. I really should have cut way more than enough, but I had it in my head "If I cut just enough and no more, I'll have more for later!" and fell into the trap of laziness. This is my first time finishing embroidery to hang in the hoop, too, so I'd really like to be able to make it look nice. Thanks in advance for your advice/help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013 07:48:08 AM »

What I normally do in those cases is that I stitch the piece to another piece of fabric. I cut the embroidered piece and then find a corresponding fabric, stitch the piece to the fabric. Something like this.

Close up of scotty dogs by kittykill, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greys Princess
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013 12:09:33 PM »

Ooh, that's a great idea! Thank you so much; this is probably what I'll do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadMonstersUK
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013 12:13:07 PM »

Can you sew larger fabric of a similar colour round the edge, like a frame? That would let you make it taut enough in the hoop and be able to finish off the back, without affecting the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Where Marcelo Gleiser Wants to Be In the World
The Story Behind Eternal On the Water
Sherrie Daly Talks About Teed Off
S.E. Cupp Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Author Lisa Miller Explores Our Fascination with Heaven
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...