A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: La Doll Clay Question and Doll WIP  (Read 1499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2013 01:20:16 PM »

So, I've been working on this doll for.. a while now (sigh sigh).  I was just wondering if anyone else was working with La Doll Clay?  I'm not entirely sure how I should protect the clay once she is finished.. I think she would need some sort of thin layer of varnish or something?  Anyways, any tips, criticism are welcome. Oh, and she is about 12" tall (from toe tip to head top), she is kind of tiny and I'm not sure I would recommend doing something this small without more experience (which I totally don't have).  I also made a small rabbit to go along with her.  I have a few more photos of her on my blog, plus some WIP shots and more shots of Lapin on his own:

https://bulbasaureyes.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/diana-the-heir-on-the-moon-and-lapin/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013 06:28:07 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013 06:07:50 PM »

I've been wanting to try something like this myself for a long time but I'm too chicken.  Grin My sculpting ability is kinda bad. But a girl can dream.  I think you've done a great job on her. Love your blog too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013 07:54:56 AM »

How is LaDoll? I was going to get that as well but picked up the Creative Paperclay to try out first. It is very soft and a bit of a pain to work with. I too am trying to make a doll so was wondering if LaDoll is a bit firmer while working with? I know I could let the paperclay dry a bit, but then you can't really mold it.   I know there are many sealers out there that you can use. I think I'd go with a non-gloss one myself. I don't know names off the top of my head for them though.

You doll is looking very pretty so far and I'll be checking out your blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013 10:40:21 AM »

My sculpting ability used to be.. terrible.  I tend to be really impatient with art, and the long wait times, plus long, careful, meticulous arting times.. didn't excite me.  But, once I start working, I LOVE it.  I forget about how dry and uncomfortable my hands are and somehow, despite how much I want to rush and just get it done, I manage to slow down during the sculpting.  I was really surprised with myself, because I really thought I hated it, and that I was bad it.  So I recommend just getting some clay and just doing it, stop dreaming!  Just do!  ^_^

As for my experience with La Doll.. it was amazing to work with when the clay was freshly opened and new.  It was easy to work with, it held shape pretty well, I was also able to use small tools to shape and form it much like polymer clays (which is something I find harder to do with paperclays and other air dry clays, although I have realized that I used to make my clay waaaaay too wet to work with properly so I think I should re-visit some previously failed types).  BUT I kept this clay in a container, for... about a year (which is a tragedy for this great clay).  I had to re-work it A LOT, and the soft, gentleness it had in sculpting before was degraded. The only real problem I had with working with it after it had dried out a bit, was that the finish is a lot more fibrous.  If you look at her closely, you can see little "hairs", which don't seem to smooth away with sanding or.. anything.  Which is why I definitely want to get a sealer for her (preferably matte, but has anyone used a more satin finish?). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013 07:09:21 AM »

How fragile is the finished product? Would you say it is strong enough you could make a toy for a child with it, or is it more for display type dolls/things?

I was just reading on the product site that you can use acrylic sealers on LaDoll. I know there are spray and paint types, so you have plenty of choices. I like Liquitex products myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013 10:01:30 AM »

This one is definitely display only (especially her hands are fragile, I broke her first pair).  But I think that the clay has the potential to be a very sturdy clay that could withstand a child's play.  I would recommend working bigger, or thicker (haha).  But, I haven't put any sealant on this yet, so I"m not sure if she will feel "less breakable" once I do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1CraftyBunnyGal
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013 08:41:22 AM »

I think a satin or matte finish acrylic sealer would do fine. What you want is something with low tack - i.e., that won't get sticky in humidity. Golden Acrylics makes a lot of gels and mediums for just about any purpose. Also Mod Podge has expanded their line.

I think, too, if your clay has similar properties to a paperclay to begin with, as you describe, it will be more likely to absorb a little of the sealant so tackiness should be less of an issue anyway.

I have to say, as someone who likes bunnies, that Lapin is adorable!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013 08:44:52 AM by 1CraftyBunnyGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Colossians 3:17
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look After Your Winter Skin with Elemis
How to Apply Smokey Eye Makeup
Is There A Natural Way To Plump Up Your Lips?
Faux Bob and Structured Jacket = Instant Makeover
Beauty Hack: 3 New Ways to Use Moisturizer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...