A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Lady gifts for a mountain man party weekend suggestions requested  (Read 1364 times)
Tags for this thread: mountain_man , cowgirl , gift_idea  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 09, 2013 08:54:59 PM »

The ManFlesh and I moved from Portland, Oregon to a very small town near Missoula, Montana last autumn.  This year is The ManFlesh's 40th birthday (in May) and "The Dudes" with whom he has celebrated birthdays are all coming out to visit and celebrate.  So, I've planned some mountain man gifties as favors which I'm excited about.  BUT at least one of them is bringing his lady, so now I need some mountain/western themed gifties for one or more ladies.  Usually crafting for women is much easier for me, but this time I'm stuck.  Maybe because it's easier to do generic crafting by theme for guys?

Here's the "invitation" that went out to The Dudes (and their ladies):

What I have planned for The Dudes:

~Polar fleece stocking caps with detachable mountain man beards (I thought I'd make these for the ladies, too, since the whole thing is a joke anyway), but I might add a tassel on the ladies'.
~Woodsy scented soap with a wood grain texture
~Belly button lint brushes
~Canteens with faux leather or suede covers with fringe and perhaps embroidered names (possible for ladies?)
~Maybe temporary tattoos from my printer

Considerations for The Ladies:

~I don't know them nearly as well as I know The Dudes and neither does The ManFlesh with whom I am vetting ideas.
~I am concerned about going "typical lady gift" as I myself am not typical in that respect (don't like pink, not into fashion, etc.)
~If there is more than one to make/buy (which I should know in the next couple of weeks), I want them to be pretty much the same (as I am with the guys).

Ideas I have toyed with:
Some kind of faux tooled leather pouch, possibly with western style buckle or turquoise detail
faux bois oilcloth pouch or lunch sack type thing, with some kind of faux leather closure
huckleberry soap or lotion (everything "local" is huckleberry around here)
cedar/pine/something woodsy scented sachets
Annie Oakley or Calamity Jane or other cowgirl something, like perhaps a notebook (I have a Bind-It-All

My skills:
I can sew and embroider
I have a decent printer and print-on fabric, shrink plastic, labels, etc.  I can go to ledger-size with my printer
I have some painting skills (not fine art, but faux finishes, etc.) and supplies
I have dabbled in lots of craft media, handyman stuff, etc.

These people are all foodies and winos, so I don't think most comestibles are appropriate, plus the one for-sure lady guest has some allergies.

IMPORTANT: At least 2 of the other dudes celebrate their birthdays at this time.  So, it's not just The ManFlesh's deal, even though he's the only milestone birthday this year.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013 08:56:49 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: Added "mature image" because there's cussin' on the invitation! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013 01:40:22 AM »

I really like your ideas so far.  Also what about faux finished candle holders with hand rolled beeswax candles, or making holders from logs, or birch bark wrapped candles, or poured candles in drilled wood.

I like the canteen holders idea because you could do that for the guys, and then turn that into little purses for the ladies.  I also like the notebook idea, and maybe they can be made  into journals with wrapped leathery covers with buckles, and rustic wood pencils?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013 05:29:21 AM »

Your ideas sound brilliant.  I don't have any extra ideas, but just wanted to say that the invites really made me laugh - they are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013 08:36:21 AM »

The invites are brilliant, and holy cow! To have friends who would all travel from Portland to Missoula just to celebrate your birthday? How cool is that! Lucky ManFlesh!

If "huckleberry" is the local flavour, then you absolutely have to include it as much as possible. I think beards for the ladies is a great idea, but what about attaching them to bonnets or sun hats? The best thing about beards for everyone is that it lends itself so well to group photos. Cheesy

Maybe a booklet of wild game recipes? (I think I have a recipe for Jellied Moose Nose I can share with you.) And of course it would have to include some home tanning instructions - always useful for mountain women. (Or bachelor mountain men.) How about berry-pickin' buckets to match the mens' canteens? If the men are getting belly-button lint brushes, could the women get leg-hair brushes? And aprons are always adaptable to any theme...

I hope if there does end up being a group photo with knitted beards, you'll post a photo for us. Too sweet not to share!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013 09:07:10 AM »

Thanks everyone!  And I hope the ideas (and encouragement) keep coming!

I really like your ideas so far.  Also what about faux finished candle holders with hand rolled beeswax candles, or making holders from logs, or birch bark wrapped candles, or poured candles in drilled wood.

I like the canteen holders idea because you could do that for the guys, and then turn that into little purses for the ladies.  I also like the notebook idea, and maybe they can be made  into journals with wrapped leathery covers with buckles, and rustic wood pencils?

I'll definitely mull over some candle ideas and your suggestions made me thing of a glass (or plastic) vase inserted into a branch or log.  Hmmmmm.

Your ideas sound brilliant.  I don't have any extra ideas, but just wanted to say that the invites really made me laugh - they are great!

Thanks!  If you get an idea, please come back and let me know!

The invites are brilliant, and holy cow! To have friends who would all travel from Portland to Missoula just to celebrate your birthday? How cool is that! Lucky ManFlesh!

If "huckleberry" is the local flavour, then you absolutely have to include it as much as possible. I think beards for the ladies is a great idea, but what about attaching them to bonnets or sun hats? The best thing about beards for everyone is that it lends itself so well to group photos. Cheesy

Maybe a booklet of wild game recipes? (I think I have a recipe for Jellied Moose Nose I can share with you.) And of course it would have to include some home tanning instructions - always useful for mountain women. (Or bachelor mountain men.) How about berry-pickin' buckets to match the mens' canteens? If the men are getting belly-button lint brushes, could the women get leg-hair brushes? And aprons are always adaptable to any theme...

I hope if there does end up being a group photo with knitted beards, you'll post a photo for us. Too sweet not to share!

Wulf

You know, I knew that at least 2 of them would probably come out, but The ManFlesh didn't think so.  Now we have 5 Dudes and at least one of their partners!  One is even coming from Kansas City!  I cannot take credit for the art on the invitation and had meant to mention so in my initial post: this art can be found on a t-shirt and if we had the funds, all the guests and the hosts (ahem) would be getting one. http://www.sharpshirter.com/Mens-Haymaker-Tee_p_156.html#  The artist also has this image in various colors on phone cases and that kind of thing.

I am really liking the recipes idea!  All The Dudes cook and geek out about it so I might have to do that for every gift bucket!  I would LOVE to have you jellied moose nose recipe, if you find it. 

I had the very same idea about group photo options with these hats.  I want most of the gifts to be more than novelties and actually get used at least sometimes, so I'll make the beards all removable and I am sure to share photos of all these things here and on my blog.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013 04:03:07 PM »

Uh oh, my file of "nasty recipes" isn't where it should be. Sad I'll keep looking. It's been years since I've had an opportunity to cook any part of a moose, so I haven't needed it recently.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013 06:14:18 PM »

Uh oh, my file of "nasty recipes" isn't where it should be. Sad I'll keep looking. It's been years since I've had an opportunity to cook any part of a moose, so I haven't needed it recently.

Wulf

Uh-oh.  Thanks a bunch!  I have yet to try moose, but I hope to before a year has passed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013 08:29:16 PM »

I made the first of the man-gifts today!  Navel lint brushes!  Good times.

They are just chenille stems wrapped around my index finger with 2 "tails" that are glued into a plastic bead.  Fast and easy and leaving me with lots of extra white chenille stems and plastic beads.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013 01:06:23 PM »

Bearded hat prototype!  There is a slot at the bottom of the hat where you can slide in the top of the "sideburns" and Velcro them it in place between the hatband and the exterior of the hat.  I have this furry material in both black and brown.  The hat will be camo.

It's pretty okay against the skin and only itches a tiny bit where the furry bit touches your nose.  I think we all know that being a Mountain Man was pretty itchy business.  I think I'll sew on some little bows for the ladies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Made from Scratch Sloppy Joes Recipe
Chicken and Noodle Casserole Recipe
Crusty Grilled Rueben Sandwich Recipe
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Sizzling Grilled Beef Strip Steak Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...