A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: City map papercutting and watercolor (pics, pics, pics!)  (Read 2115 times)
Tags for this thread: papercutting , map  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phantome
« on: March 08, 2013 06:04:04 PM »

So my city has a big art benefit auction called "Art for Arthritis" every year, to raise money for juvenile arthritis research. Local artists are paired with a child who has juvenile arthritis, and they create a piece together to be auctioned off at a big fancy gala with all the city bigwigs. This is my second year as a mentor artist for the event, and it's a lot of fun.

This year, my mentoree artist and I created a lacework papercutting of a map of our city, Wichita, KS, entitled "Home, Sweet Home." The benefit auction was last night, and it took the second highest bid of the night, with an outright bidding war! Anyway, this took us about 20 hours, and over 100 x-acto blades (the tips kept snapping off). Most of the streets are 1-2mm wide, and the whole thing was as delicate as a spiderweb when it was done.

We mounted it on a large watercolor background that we did using a lot of water and a lot of pigment, letting the colors flow and blend without brushstrokes. We used shades of red and orange to reflect the colors of the city flag and the patina of our iconic Keeper of the Plains, by Blackbear Bosin (a 44-foot metal American Indian sculpture that stands guard over us at the city center, a symbol of our city). The finished piece is 18"x24", and 28"x32" framed, with a red and grey double mat. Stay tuned for process pics!

We drew the map out, using Google Maps as a reference. You'll notice that we drew it backwards, so that when we cut it, the clean side would face the right way. Bonus kitty helping.

Started from the center outward, saving the big pieces for last.

My mentoree artist, working hard! She just turned 13, and is such an articulate, intelligent, thoughtful young lady. This is our second year working together, and we've had such a great time. Smiley

All cut out! We just loved how it turned out- you can see the cloverleafs on the highways and the rivers, with the big stripe across the middle and up and down the center US-54 and I-135 respectively; all the random white squares are some of the larger parks, and the two masses on the bottom left and right are Mid-Continent Airport and McConnell AFB, respectively.

This is the most accurate pic of the watercolor backing, I couldn't seem to get a good pic of the color once it was framed and glass in the way.

Finished product!

And a bonus pic of the Keeper, part of our inspiration:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013 07:55:20 PM by Phantome » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is my signature; there are many like it, but this one is mine.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013 07:51:01 PM »

I love this! I love how detailed the map is, and I love how you used the Keeper as the inspiration for the background. Just gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013 08:35:43 PM »

Honestly. If I didn't love my mother so much, I'd ask you to adopt me. Your work just keeps drawing me back over and over again. The very first thing of your I saw on here was Titania and Oberon, then the Seasons set. And then I saw all the Sentient Machinery ones. All got me really interested in watercolor and latex resist, both of which I use very often now.

Then I saw the exhibit for last year's (I think?) Art for Arthritis, which I thought was fantastic.

You also did that mini tut Daft Punk one, and I actually used that technique for a piece that is going to a local art show on the 12th, white pen and all. I mean to credit you in the post when I get a thread put up Tongue

And then when I thought it couldn't get any awesomer, you made that FRIGGIN' SWEET arc reactor. I WANT!!!!

Now this, another wonderful example of your skills and virtues. I love that you help out with this event. I could only hope to do something like it someday.

Seriously, you are a complete inspiration for me and definitely one of my favorite Craftsters and artists Grin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013 08:38:40 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
yoopidou

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013 09:37:45 PM »

Congrats on getting a good price on it. It's even better that it goes to a charity.

It must have been especially hard on an arthritis artist to cut all these tiny details. The result is impressive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phantome
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013 10:06:12 PM »

leather and lace OMG. OMG! You need to realize that I literally (LITERALLY) just ran a lap around the house squealing! I'm completely honored and flabbergasted and humbled that you've followed my work through all this time! I can't even express how much it means to me that anyone finds my stuff appealing enough to remember, let alone inspiring. Thank you, thank you so much for your kind words. Smiley I do hope you'll share your paintings soon, I can't wait to see!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phantome
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013 10:12:04 PM »

yoopidou Thanks! We took a lot of breaks, and did the work over several sessions, so it was definitely manageable. She was really a trooper, though. She just picks up on technique so fast, you can't even tell which parts she did and which parts I did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013 11:13:43 PM »

I really can't even tell you how much I love this. Thanks for sharing, and for showing us your technique! I'm so inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
bondar

Handmade Cards Lukata

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013 12:28:03 PM »

I admire. After seeing the work I was already impressed Gecko. You must have a lot of patience to make it all cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bradley832
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013 10:08:39 PM »

That is AMAZING! I can't even believe it. The patience and dedication. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmandaViolet
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013 10:36:29 AM »

This is wonderful! It is awesome that you worked with your mentee to create such a beautiful piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elizabeth Scott Discusses Her Young Adult Novel: Living Dead Girl
Heather Rogers on Her Book Green Gone Wrong
Author Sarah Rayne Reveals the Inspiration Behind House of the Lost
Radio Aficionado John Osborne Becomes a Radio Head
Elyssa East Talks About Her Book: Dogtown
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...